Wedge grooves wearing out?

derelict

In the trees
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
I've been looking for a set of wedges and have considered picking up some used ones. But I read in a few places that the grooves on wedges wear out very fast. So I am wondering what this means... does this mean that you get super spinny performance for the first 50 to 100 shots then the club always performs the same after, or does it constantly degrade? Is there a way to sharpen or rejuvenate the grooves?

Then I came upon these purespin wedges.. they say they last for much longer because of some diamond coating.. but I am thinking that somehow having a sandpaper like surface on your wedges is weird...

Any thoughts or opinions?

there are groovesharpeners to re-sharpen your grooves when they get dull. they probably wont be back to 100% brand new, but pretty close. i would go with what feels best and performs best for you, obviously if you are looking at used wedges you have to be careful about what shape they are in. the better shape they are in the more the ball will spin, ect.

I've never worn a wedge out. I have some Ping Eye 2's that are more than 20 years old that still play great. I'm sure there are people that wear them out from hitting tons of balls, but I haven't.

I have worn out a few wedges from using them constantly in play and practice. I practice much more with my wedges, than any other club in my bag. Where a lot of wear and tear happens is mostly during practice sessions. Most of golfers don't take the time to clean the wedge face after every practice shot. Not like most do after a shot that counts during a round of golf. Impacting the ball with built up sand, and other debris on the club face, tends to speed up the wear and tear.

I have a groove sharpener, that works pretty well, but the trick seems to be to use it before the wedge grooves actually wear out. In other words use it as a cleaning device with out using a lot of cutting pressure. I use mine every 4-6 weeks. Using it this way, seems to pro long the life of the wedge face.

As for the diamond face wedges. I looked at those years ago, because I could not get a ball to spin enough. Even using tour balata balls that were available back then I had a tough time. So instead of buying the new guaranteed, to spin the ball back wedge, I tried an experiment. I bought some of the non slip/skid tape stuff you some time see, and stuck it to the face of my wedges. I probably got more spin, but not enough to go and purchase the new wedges. Later on I found out that using the proper swing technique could generate just as much spin, regardless of the club being used. Even knowing that, I gave up, and developed a pretty good flop, drop and stop shot. :D

Back