Older Driver Recommendations?

derelict

In the trees
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
I need a new driver... I hit a R9 460 and a Ping G15 at Roger Dunn the other day and I like these clubs alot... but I do not like the price.

So I am thinking of trying to find something a little older, but I do not have a good grasp of all the different models over the years (I only started playing a couple of years ago). I was looking at maybe the R7 Limited, or maybe the Burner... any other thoughts? I am willing to consider any brand, I just need some help in looking in the right direction...

I am currently playing an old Adams Tight Lies Driver with a regular shaft... it feels "squishy" to me. I hit the ball straight and about 260 to 270 with this driver. I think if I go with a stiff shaft and a better clubhead, I should be able to do much better.

I just recently replaced my 460cc driver with an old 9.5 Olimar smaller headed driver. That driver head might be too old for what you want. Jury is still out on my decision, but right now my accuracy is still pretty good, and I have gained some distance over the larger 460cc driver I was using. I have some friends who are playing the older Callaways, and TaylorMades who prefer them over the newer stuff. If you can find one, a Nickent driver might be a good thought, and you will get a it for a great, close out price. :D

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the Cleveland XL. Long and staight- and pretty cheap now! Get the Fit-On Red stiff shaft and you should be bombing it. It comes in a Tour version as well.

Plus comming from an Adams you will still find the same kind of forgiveness in the XL (maybe even more since it is a bigger head and newer model than you have now)

559.jpg

Last edited:
I might suggest looking at places like Ebay and some onlin retailers for the clubs you liked. I have found pricing much better than what Roger Dunn offers.

The Mizuno MX500 works great for me.They are a bargain on ebay.Under $100 sometimes under $50.Callaway ft-3's are another bargain usually under $100.

Lots of bargains out there in drivers. The Burners from a couple of years ago are long and the R7 series offers some adjustability at bargain prices. Also, the Sumo2 drivers are on the market at low prices if you like the square head. I usually stay a step behind the industry myself to keep my new club habit in a reasonable price range.

Buddy of mine just picked up a Burner 07 at Golf Galaxy for $125...there's tons of drivers out there on sale now.

I play a Hibore XL and '07 Burner and think they're as good as anything I've hit lately. Just received my 9015d as well, just hit it in the simulator but it seems to be the real deal.

Thanks for the recommendations guys... I have never been someone who has to have the latest of anything... I figure that a 2007 or 2008 model should be just fine for me. I am looking for something in the $100 to $150 range so all of your recommendations are perfect.. I will do a little homework and let you know what I go with :alien2:..

Wait a couple of weeks, the 09 Burner should go down on price once the 10 Burner is out

Wait a couple of weeks, the 09 Burner should go down on price once the 10 Burner is out

The bad thing is that it is not a joke like we keep talking about with TM drivers. Their new stuff should be out by mid-late Feb.

Hola

Hola

I agree, by the end of the month , the 09 Burner will be in his price range. I got the 09 burner, I love the driver!!

Focus more on the shaft than the driver. it truly is the engine. If you want some good drivers that are less than $150, here's a few that come to mind from experience. Your choice all depends on the shafts available and if you like the longer shafts and if you like the traditional or square headed clubs.

Adams A4
Callaway Ft-5
Cleveland Hi Bore XL or 460 Comp or 2009 Launcher
Geek DCT
Nickent 4DX Super Mag or 4DX Special Edition
Taylor Made Burner 2008 or 2009 model year
Ping G10

Another vote for the Hibore XL here. Just haven't found anything better for me. Maybe it's because I have the illegal/legal version (10.5) Never sent it in to get it tested.

Looks like I can pick up a Hibore XL with the Fuji Red shaft for $90 shipped brand new... not bad.

Maybe I will wait until Feb to see if the TM drivers go down... I would pick up the R9 if it were $150 :clapp:..

Looks like I can pick up a Hibore XL with the Fuji Red shaft for $90 shipped brand new... not bad.

Maybe I will wait until Feb to see if the TM drivers go down... I would pick up the R9 if it were $150 :clapp:..

That is a great deal. You can't go wrong there- I think you would find that one easier to use than the TM- as just as long.

I picked up my R9 460 from Global Golf, who runs TM preowned site that spank talked about. The are on ebay and my driver was listed as mint, starting bid was $149 and I was the only bidder. Brand new in plastic. I added a shaft I liked and still was under what the box stores want for a used R460 TP.

Back to the op question, there are alot of great new golf equipment to be found cheap. the Hibore, Ping Rapture, '07 Burner, '08 Tour Burner, '09 Burner, G10, Diablo... If you don't have to have the latest stuff, these drivers are perfect. It took a long time to find a driver combo to beat the Tour Burner TP w/WB I have.

Focus more on the shaft than the driver.
Andy makes a good point here.Another thing to be on the lookout for.The bargain driver with the up charge bargain shaft.If you're not seeking newest and hottest buzz you will find bargains.
And like DG said TM always has bargains because of accellerated model changes.

I picked up my R9 460 from Global Golf, who runs TM preowned site that spank talked about. The are on ebay and my driver was listed as mint, starting bid was $149 and I was the only bidder. Brand new in plastic. I added a shaft I liked and still was under what the box stores want for a used R460 TP.

Back to the op question, there are alot of great new golf equipment to be found cheap. the Hibore, Ping Rapture, '07 Burner, '08 Tour Burner, '09 Burner, G10, Diablo... If you don't have to have the latest stuff, these drivers are perfect. It took a long time to find a driver combo to beat the Tour Burner TP w/WB I have.

+1 for looking at Global Golf, especially their eBay site. Got my Callaway X460, which I think came out in either 2006 or 2007. It was listed in mint condition, and it looked like it had never been hit. Even included a headcover, although it wasn't matching (it was a stock black/silver Callaway cover), but for only $55 plus shipping, I can't complain too much.

I almost always buy used. If you spend some time looking you can find the right after market shaft and the right length and all without spending a ton of money to buy a brand new club and then you still have to upgrade the shaft.

As long as we are talking about slightly older clubs, how does the Rapture V2 stand up to today's models? It was way too steep in price to even consider when it came out and there is not much on THP about it. They seem to go for 180-200 now on Ebay, and it seems to me it was described as a very long and forgiving club for medium and high HCpers.

If you like the R9, the R7 Limited is close. For TM stuff on the cheap you should checkout their pre owned site TaylorMade Golf Clubs PreOwned & Used Golf Equipment, Drivers, Irons, Putters, and more

For all other clubs pre owned 3balls.com is good too.

Actually instead of the taylormade pre-owned site, go to global golf - they run the taylormade site and the exact same clubs (you can tell by the sku number being the same) are typically $20 or so cheaper.
Used Golf Clubs, Golf Discount Pre-Owned Equipment - GlobalGolf Sale

They also have an ebay site, but if you look at "buy it now" its cheaper on the global golf site.
I've bought from the taylormade site once, from the global golf site 2-3 times..

Buddy of mine just picked up a Burner 07 at Golf Galaxy for $125...there's tons of drivers out there on sale now.

X 100. You can find the 07 Burners for as little as $100 brand new & they are fantastic sticks.

Back