Loft gap to yard gap ratio?

JRamz

Rippin' and a tearin'
Reaction score
Handicap
Let's see if I can get my question across without confusing everyone.

Is there a direct ratio of the loft gap between two clubs to what the yardage gap will be?

Example. If you have 3 degree loft gap between two irons does that always equal a specific yardage gap? Same with 4 degree gap and 5 degree gap.

Thanks,
-J

With me, and the 4* loft gaps between my clubs, it somewhere between 8-12 yards. With that I figure on average it's 10 yards when choosing a club. Of course there are other factors that will effect the yardage gap. Firm fairways versus soft fairways is one. The golfer's swing speed if they don't have a consistent swing with each club cause can shorter/longer yardages. Impact positions to the ball if that is not consistent is another factor.

I guess for starters, 10 yards would be a good number. :D

So I guess ultimately it just comes down to trial and error? Because my hybrids and long irons have 3 deg. gaps and when I get down my wedges, they have 5 deg. gaps.

So I was assuming my long irons would have smaller gaps and my wedges larger gaps. Or am I way off?

Because the clubhead speed with your wedges is lower than the hybrids, the gap will be smaller. The rule of thumb with wedges is 2 yards per degree of loft. This assumes you mainatain consistent contact and have the same shaft in all of your wedges. Shaft length will also affect your distance, which is why hybrids with a 3 degree difference in loft will have a greater distance gap than your wedges.

That makes sense. I just got my new irons so I am going to have to learn my yardages all over again. I guess that is a good problem to have.

Thanks for the insight Dog.

-J

That makes sense. I just got my new irons so I am going to have to learn my yardages all over again. I guess that is a good problem to have.

Thanks for the insight Dog.

-J

It depends on how for you hit them to begin with. If you're a gorilla who his a 60° LW 100 yards, then you would have a much bigger gap per degree than someone like me who hits his 56° SW just 70 yards. Definitely something a player is going to have to work out for himself. :confused2:

So I guess ultimately it just comes down to trial and error? Because my hybrids and long irons have 3 deg. gaps

?

The distance between hybrid and iron for me are way off. I have a 1 degree difference between my last hybrid and first iron and its a 15-20 yard difference as opposed to a 10-12 yard difference between my irons.
My wedges are all over the place and I really dont hit them with full swings.
I get about:
80 yards out of my 48*
55 yards out of my 56*
40 yards out of my 60*

I think there's a recent thread on this topic but no there isn't a "certain" distance between each of your clubs factored on your loft. it's different for everybody. if I were u I'd go to the range and hit each of my clubs and note the distances I get out of each iron and over time u'll know your distances for all your clubs.

I just wish I had a range available that I was confident that their measurements were correct.

Thanks for all the input guys!

-J

If you have a laser range finder; that could be used to determine how far your target is at the range.

Back