Daly and Wilson using Pings from '80s

Wilson: Estes 'should think about what he says' - Press Tent

January 17, 2010
Wilson: Estes 'should think about what he says'

Posted at 6:29 PM by Cameron Morfit | Categories: Grooves

HONOLULU -- Most tour pros at this week's Sony Open at Waialae Country Club are complying with the USGA's new rule prohibiting square or U grooves.

A few are mostly complying.

Because the USGA is still bound by its 1990 settlement with Karsten Manufacturing, John Daly and Dean Wilson are taking advantage of a legal loophole that allows pros to use square grooves if the clubs in question are Ping Eye 2 wedges made before April 1990. And not everybody is happy about it.

Bob Estes called the move, "maybe a little bit against the spirit of the game since they passed that rule."

Asked to respond, Wilson told the Honolulu Advertiser, "Bob has not come up to me and said anything about it. But if he came and asked me, I'd tell him what I told you. It's not a groove issue for me. It's a comfort issue. I'm not trying to gain advantage with the grooves. I think Bob is completely wrong. Maybe he should think about what he says."

The two were paired together for the fourth round at 10:28 a.m. Sunday.

The Estes-Wilson disagreement is the second grooves dust-up of the week. The first came when veteran pro R.W. Eaks demanded a Tour official check the grooves of Monday-qualifying winner Aaron Goldberg after Goldberg shot a 63. The V grooves in his wedges were in compliance.

Estes and Wilson did not discuss the matter during their round, and shook hands after putting out on the 18th green. Both seemed taken aback that the matter had become an issue. Estes, who played the first two rounds here with Daly, was surprised to read Wilson's quotes in the newspaper Sunday morning and said he was not attacking Wilson personally. Still, Estes did not back down.

"I just said I wasn't going to play [the old Ping wedges] because it's not in the spirit of the game," Estes said after making three double-bogeys on the way to a final-round 78. "They can play 'em, but I don't think they should hide behind an old rule. They should play by the same rules the other 99% of us are."

Reminded that many golf rules don't make sense, Estes countered, "This one does. We've seen too much [in unchecked technological advances] for far too long out here, like guys backing it up out of four-inch Bermuda rough."

Wilson shot a final-round 70 and paused in the middle of signing autographs to defend himself.

"That's his opinion," Wilson said of Estes. "Ping did not make a club that conformed that I felt comfortable with, and I wanted to practice and play with a club that I knew I was going to be able to use. The sole of the club is what I like; it's not about the grooves. I'm shocked that it was such a big thing. Hopefully I'll have Ping make me an L-wedge with grooves that conform, and that'll be the end of it."

I am calling BS on Mr. Wilson.

But if he came and asked me, I'd tell him what I told you. It's not a groove issue for me. It's a comfort issue. I'm not trying to gain advantage with the grooves.

BULL!!!!!

Bull on the comfort issue or bull on confronting someone? As I definitely know Dean will confront someone if put in that position. I personally think it is to try and gain an advantage.

Bull on the comfort issue or bull on confronting someone? As I definitely know Dean will confront someone if put in that position. I personally think it is to try and gain an advantage.

And boy, it sure worked too didn't it? Those boys just rolled over the field this week. Daly MC, Wilson T43. :laughing:

And boy, it sure worked too didn't it? Those boys just rolled over the field this week. Daly MC, Wilson T43. :laughing:

How was their wedge game? That is where I would be looking to see if it worked as they may have had problems in other areas this past weekend that caused a MC and a 43rd place finish.

How was their wedge game? That is where I would be looking to see if it worked as they may have had problems in other areas this past weekend that caused a MC and a 43rd place finish.

How would anyone know? Since neither one did well enough to ever make it on camera, that's a question that can't be answered. Their 20 year old wedges didn't do enough to get them on the leaderboard, regardless of what other prblems they may have had.

My point was that the fact that each is carrying an antique wedge didn't turn out to be some magic potion for their games. It takes more than one club to play this game well. They'd be better served to learn how to use the new clubs properly that to look for loopholes in the rule. They are professionals... they are supposed to be good. If I can adjust me game, such as it is, to the new grooves, then they darn sure ought to be able to. :confused2:

To add a little more spice (and perhaps more legitimacy) to the situation, Phil Mickelson is said to be considering playing the old ping wedges as well.

Phil and Ping Wedges

To add a little more spice (and perhaps more legitimacy) to the situation, Phil Mickelson is said to be considering playing the old ping wedges as well.

Phil and Ping Wedges

Mickelson announced today that he will indeed use an old school ping wedge in the tourney this week.

"After talking about it to the Tour and the USGA, the only thing that matters is are they approved for play," Mickelson said. "So I don't feel that there's any problem if I were to play those clubs or if anybody else were. All that matters is that it is okay under the rules of golf."

Mickelson announced today that he will indeed use an old school ping wedge in the tourney this week.

"After talking about it to the Tour and the USGA, the only thing that matters is are they approved for play," Mickelson said. "So I don't feel that there's any problem if I were to play those clubs or if anybody else were. All that matters is that it is okay under the rules of golf."

Hmmm..does this mean he's 'cheating' or not 'working on his game?' Just saying....

The clubs are legal to use. More power to Phil if they are not so old that they do indeed help his game. Those clubs did not seem to help the two previous users in recent tournament play. :D

Hunter Mahan is said to be jumping on the old school ping wagon as well.

its a technical loop hole and i dont think the pros should be exploiting it..

makes a mockery of the groove rule..

its a technical loop hole and i dont think the pros should be exploiting it..

makes a mockery of the groove rule..

the groove rule is ridiculous in the first place, imo. a panel of 12 volunteers are the ones deciding what's good for the game. and how they go about it is completely ridiculous.

i say dig out all your eye2's out of the dust and put the into play. just to prove a point.

the groove rule is ridiculous in the first place, imo. a panel of 12 volunteers are the ones deciding what's good for the game. and how they go about it is completely ridiculous.

i say dig out all your eye2's out of the dust and put the into play. just to prove a point.

Ummm... better check your sources. A lot of the USGA staffers are full time employees. And the rule was decided on jointly by the USGA and the R&A, as are all rules issues. It is one of the primary missions of the USGA and the R&A to maintain the rules and ensure the continuing integrity of the game. There is one and only one reason why the old Ping wedges are exempt from the rule, and that is because the out of court settlement between Ping and the USGA is the equivalent of a binding contract that allows the use of those specific clubs named in the case. None of the players using those clubs was a factor at Torrey Pines, or any other tournament this season, so I guess their so-called statement fizzled. :dohanim:

Those wedges are not allowed on the European Tour, and they will not be allowed in the Open Championship, so any player planning on playing overseas had better work on his game instead of surfing Ebay looking for loopholes. :rolleyes:

As for the rule being ridiculous, that also isn't the case. In fact it is accomplishing exactly what it was intended to do, and that is to once again place a premium on hitting the fairway off the tee. If you have been watching any of the tournaments this year, you can't miss the effect of the new grooves on the game. The players are hitting fliers and generally having difficulty finding the right distances from the rough, while the play from the fairway is the same as it always was. The game is once again rewarding players who play smart golf. :clapp:

Back