I want some input on driver shafts (r9 TP).

idriveahonda

Tour bound
Reaction score
Handicap
+2.1
Okay guys, I want a little advice, for those who would like to give it.

Club in question is the r9 TP.

Here are some statistics from me, from our launch monitor today:
Clubhead speed: 103-108mph
Ball speed: 153-164mph
Launch Angle: 12-13*
Spin: Questionable, I have had readings (different monitors and locations) from AVG 800rpms, to normal 2000-3000rpms.
Tempo - smooth and balanced

I am young, soon to be 23, with opportunities to play mini-tour golf. Looking for the shaft that matches up best for me, and the TM TP shaft options are not readily available to be tested at local retailers or courses.

Shaft Options:
ReAx (stock)
Aldila Voodoo NV6 TP
Aldila Voodoo SV6 TP - shaft I'm leaning towards
Fujikura Motore 65 TP
Fujikura Motore 75 TP
Fujikura Motore 85 TP
Matrix X-Con 55 TP
Mitsubishi Fubuki 63 TP
Mitsubishi Fubuki 73 TP

I currently play an 85x Aldila NV in my Burner TP 17*, along with a Proforce V2 65s in my 905R Titleist.

Those specs on swingspeed and ballspeed are accurate, I'm unsure on the spin rate, which is a crucial element in choosing a shaft. I'm a rather pure ballstriker, have VERY VERY littel sidespin on the ball, accuracy is a STRONG point in my game even with solid distance.

Also, my swing speed is right in the area of Stiff and X-stiff as well. My tempo is very smooth, which is strange considering I am 5'6'' and have fairly high swing speed.

Any input is greatly appreciated! I've gotten so many mixed reviews, and without REALLY knowing my spinrate with the driver, it's tough as well.

Levi
Virginia Beach, VA

I am a little confused about your shaft choices. The R9 TP did not come stock with a REAX shaft, but with a Motore F1 shaft. But after that, you can really get just about any shaft on the planet tipped for the R9 as I did and play what matches your swing best.

My favorite shaft out there right now is the Miyazaki and it is perfectly fit for my swing and smooth as can be. So I sent it into TM and they tipped it and had it back to me in just a few days. I did the same with the Attas shafts from UST.

Have you hit the R9 TP and what were your thoughts with the stock shaft and was it a REAX you were playing?

I am a little confused about your shaft choices. The R9 TP did not come stock with a REAX shaft, but with a Motore F1 shaft. But after that, you can really get just about any shaft on the planet tipped for the R9 as I did and play what matches your swing best.

My favorite shaft out there right now is the Miyazaki and it is perfectly fit for my swing and smooth as can be. So I sent it into TM and they tipped it and had it back to me in just a few days. I did the same with the Attas shafts from UST.

Have you hit the R9 TP and what were your thoughts with the stock shaft and was it a REAX you were playing?

ReAx is in the regular r9, but if that shaft would match up best, then I would not need the TP (all it offers is more shaft choices...let's be serious).

I'm going with one of the shafts listed there.

Any opinions?

ReAx is in the regular r9, but if that shaft would match up best, then I would not need the TP (all it offers is more shaft choices...let's be serious).

I'm going with one of the shafts listed there.

Any opinions?

Actually the regular R9 has the Motore. THe TP has the Motore F1. The R9 460 has a REAX

Actually the regular R9 has the Motore. THe TP has the Motore F1. The R9 460 has a REAX

Aha...

Gracias.

I was swinging the regular r9 today, and the Motore wasn't bad. Wonder what the REAL difference between the Motore and Motore F1 are...probably nothing if much.

The F1 is far more stout in my opinion.

The F1 is far more stout in my opinion.

Hmm.

If you don't mind, give me your input on the following.

Aldila Voodoo SNV6
Aldila Voodoo SVS6

It's one of those two I believe. After swinging the regular Motore, I like it's feel, but have heard SUCH good things about the Voodoo shafts. Fubuki is too stiff and low launching (too many people get this shaft, who are getting KILLED on distance because it is FARRRR to stiff for them). The Voodoo is 60g in weight.

Driver will also be 44.25 inches long. So possibly going with the lighter shaft will adjust to the length, as well as a little higher launching shaft (VS6).

I cannot help with the Voodoo, I have hit it, but it did not stand out to me. It was okay for my game, but not much else.

I cannot help with the Voodoo, I have hit it, but it did not stand out to me. It was okay for my game, but not much else.

Which shafts did you like? Hit in the r9 head correct?

My 2 favorites right now are the
Miyazaki - Simply the best I have hit to date.
UST Attas - Smooth as anything I have hit to date

Unfortunately, they are not options in my choices :(

Are your specs similar to mine?

They are similar.

They are similar.

I was just curious, as I see you play 5-PW in regular r9 irons.

I'm going to hit a couple more different shaft options before choosing I believe though.

Thanks again for the input!

Well, I hit a couple shafts today.

Hit the VS6 in a Nike Victory Red Driver. I must say, shaft was VERY disappointing. Very whippy, does not deal well will angles created in the golf swing with semi-fast swing speed.

Called TaylorMade and asked for comparison on shafts in the r9 TP, and was given some good information.

Went to my course, put the Fubuki 63 in a Callaway...and love it.

Sooooo.

Going with the R9 TP w/ Fubuki 63g stiff shaft. 44.5'' length, 10.5* loft.

Can't wait.

Also ordered my TP MB Smokes (don't ask, can't give info) new, Tour 360 4.0, Rescue TP 19*, and some balls.

:)

Back