Diane

Reaction score
I read a post in another thread that got me thinking. When considering your game - do you give equal weight to the following: clubs, shafts and balls? Or are one or more of them more important or less important? What about your swing?

I believe for me, it is clubs more than anything. Playing different balls is just a matter of adjusting landing point due to backspin or adjusting for flight characteristics. I think either of those compensations are easy to make. It is hard to distinguish between clubs and shafts since they are integral. I know I am not as accurate with regular flex shafts as I am with stiff, but perhaps I am not good enough to really tell the difference in shafts.

The thing that seems to matter most are the shafts for me.After hitting a lot of clubs I found that a lighter weight stiff shaft with a high bend point gives me better results in my irons.As far as woods go as long as the flex is a strong regular to a weak stiff I'm OK.Anything too stiff I have problems with distance ,anything too soft I have problems with control.Kinda like Goldilocks I gotta have it just right.

I wish I had thought to add a poll.

Until I get my swing sorted out I'm not sure if any of the other stuff matters.:confused2:

my swing definitely gets the most of my attention. it needs to be right on before it would be fair for me to be critical of clubs, shafts, or balls.

IMHO I would say swing, clubs/shafts, and ball in that order. Clubs/shafts should match a player's swing, i.e., a person with a size 12 shoe should not purchase size 10 shoes.

For me in this order. 1. club head lie angle, 2. shaft, 3. ball.

1 & 2 go hand in hand with each other, but the correct lie angle is going to help more with errant ball flights, all other swing issues being equal. As for the ball, it only does what the golfer's swing, through the use of their clubs tells it to do.

My swing is what it is. Some days are much better than others. Most days it is Ok, with just an occasional "how'd I do that" ball flight. I know what I am suppose to do to play well, but I don't work on it enough anymore to do all those correct things more than I am presently doing. (if that makes sense) :D

Back