TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
I find I am in the situation of being just off the fairway wilth a long 2nd shot quite often. Not deep rough, but defitnately rough with a clear shot at the green.

In that situuation is the correct play always an iron, or can I get out the 7 wood? I have heard both that the lower woods are the way to go for short rough and that you should never attempt anything but an iron to make sure you get though the grass.

I guess the real play is a strong hybrid- but I don't have one yet!

I personally find it much easier to hit a hybrid in that situation. If you hit it fat at all, seems the hybrid still makes it through, where a longer iron will just stub in the grass. I feel like the hybrid is gliding through the grass, whereas the iron is catching the grass and turning towards the hosel. I'm also a "sweeper", so I have a tendency to catch a lot of grass in the rough.

I prefer my Hybrid's depending on the thickness of the rough and how far from the hole which one I will use. I play a Baffler 3 Hybrid and Baffler 1 Hybrid. My 16 degree one iron baffler is my money club. I love that thang, er excuse me Diane, thing :D

This is the ask the pro section. Lets keep this clean until our THP Pro has a chance to answer. Thanks.

I prefer my Hybrid's depending on the thickness of the rough and how far from the hole which one I will use. I play a Baffler 3 Hybrid and Baffler 1 Hybrid. My 16 degree one iron baffler is my money club. I love that thang, er excuse me Diane, thing :D

OOPs!!! We better let our THP Pro do his job here and work this issue. Sorry just erase what I just said. It's a figument of your imagination :banghead:

TS this type of shot depends on the lie. When you hear this talked about watching the tour players they are playing out of DEEP rough. Is the ball sitting where you can see some or most of the ball? If so a higher lofted wood (7 wood) or hybrid is a great choice much better than a long iron.

If the ball is sitting down and you almost had to step on it to find it....here is where you would use a lofted iron just to get the ball back out in the fairway and go from there. Most courses that the average player comes across is going to have playable rough. Most course want it that way to keep pace of play reasonable. I hope this helps and let me know if you need more info on this type of shot.

TS this type of shot depends on the lie. When you hear this talked about watching the tour players they are playing out of DEEP rough. Is the ball sitting where you can see some or most of the ball? If so a higher lofted wood (7 wood) or hybrid is a great choice much better than a long iron.

If the ball is sitting down and you almost had to step on it to find it....here is where you would use a lofted iron just to get the ball back out in the fairway and go from there. Most courses that the average player comes across is going to have playable rough. Most course want it that way to keep pace of play reasonable. I hope this helps and let me know if you need more info on this type of shot.

Thanks. You are bang on about the level of rough- I can usually see almost all of the ball in any rough on the course (unless I have really messed up). I got the 7 wood recently and I have tried to use it a few times in that situation- both times the person I was playing with told me it was not a good plan. As a result I have been tentative and have gone back to long irons, with out much luck.

I'll start attacking that shot with a confident 7 wood.

BTW in that situation is the shot still a standard FW sweep, or should you do more of a down strike on the ball to get through the grass?

Play this shot just a touch farther back in the stance...a ball or 2. You want to catch this a touch more on the downswing....if you try to sweep it out the rough can grab the hosel and turn the club. Be agressive with this shot. The 7 wood is a great play from the rough.

Back