Michelle Wie's 2010

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
She got the monkey off her back last year and had an incredible Solheim Cup that may have been her coming out party. What are your thoughts on her 2010? Will she win? Will she win a major? Will she dominate? Will she help the LPGA and improve their ratings?

Overall, can she have a big impact this year on the tour this year?

Now that she has a win under her belt, I think this year will be a good one for her :good: She is liked by a lot, the BF is one of them. I think, IMO only, that she is probably THE best LPGA out there. Even though she's not my fav at all!! She just needs to get her putting down, other than that, she's great!

i haven't watched enough of the lpga to make an education statement about who's going to do what. i do like michelle though. i've read some interesting interviews she's done. i think we tend to forget that she's a college student as well. i think now that her parents aren't so involved and she has that win and with her successes both on and off the course at the solheim cup then she should have a great year. it'll be good for the lpga if she does, that's for sure.

I think Michelle will have a great season this year, but maybe not by everyone's standards. I do think she will win a few tournaments, maybe not a major, but I see her competing week in and week out. The finish to her 2009 LPGA season will significantly help her confidence this year. I hope for the LPGA, that she has an outstanding year, it will only help to bring more attention to the tour.

She is going to rock 2010.
The Solheim was the real turning point for her, I think. It's onwards and upwards from here on :D

I won't go so far to say she would certainly win a major, and I hate to put a number to these sorts of things, but Ithink a number or tournament wins greater than three would be a really good turnover.

Well, I hope she does well. I think she will win at least once this coming year. If not, she still has some time left. As for dominating this year, not a chance. Ratings wise, I think that will depend on how well the American women play as a group.

It would be lovely for someone NOT to have a sophomore slump. The LPGA could really stand to have two or three players battling it out week after week, and having Michelle Wie be one of them would be huge.

• Admin
It would be lovely for someone NOT to have a sophomore slump. The LPGA could really stand to have two or three players battling it out week after week, and having Michelle Wie be one of them would be huge.

You hit the nail on the head Claire. They need battles to make it back to where they were and having Wie in those battles would be HUGE!

I hope Wie does well this year for her own sake. She has far too much natural talent that her parents almost completely sabotaged.

As far as winning a major, I obviously don't know but in the LPGA it always seems like they are won by someone who hasn't won anything before or they have a couple small wins & then never win again.

The LPGA = the Korean tour as of late :D

Go Wie to continue that tradition? haha

I confess I watch the PGA significantly more than the LPGA, so take what I say with a caveat (especially if you're a Wie fan).

I've always thought Michelle Wie was grossly overrated.

This isn't to say she's not talented, or even that she's not very gifted. She is. But she's had to live up to a reputation or image, that is (fairly or unfairly) in my opinion, impossible to live up to.

In some form or another, that image being that she is the face of ladies golf, is one of ladies golf's best golfers ever, can compete with many on the PGA tour, etc.

And it's an image she'll never come close to living up to, let alone attaining.

In some respects she reminds me her ladies golf's version of of something between tennis stars Maria Sharapova and Anna Kournikova.

Wie is young, relatively attractive, with a world of potential, and hyped to the sky (as were these other two athletes). Unlike these other two however, Wie probably has more potential in her respective sport than these other two did (certainly more than Kournikova).

With all that said, at one point or another, when a young, attractive, and gifted player makes her way onto the stage of your sport, for better or worse, you would be foolish to not publicize, even hype, that player, as the face of your respective sport.

Wie's has had some of that pressure removed, having finally won on tour. But as I said, I think she's more a media creation, than a legitimate superstar, who will dominate her sport. J

ust off hand to name a few, I'd take Ochoa, Kerr, Petterson, Creamer, and maybe even Pressel to win more times this year than Wie does. Safe bets most of these players are.

But if Wie is going to be a superstar then she shouldn't she win at least as much if not more than most of these players, if not most of the players on tour as well?

Wie will win on tour this year for sure. But I'd bet against her winning more than twice. And as mentioned, would take nearly every one of those other golfers referenced above to win more this year as well.

She should have a solid year in terms of top 10 finishes, but won't come close to dominating the field, or winning multiple times. In fact, winning often and convincingly probably won't ever be Michelle Wie's legacy, not this year, not any year.

But she's a talented, attractive golfer, that people are interested in talking about and watching, and will win enough times help keep the LPGA going for years to come, despite never being able to live up to her own hype.

Last edited:
She might win once this year and probably not a major. I think she is over rated personally and will never live up to the hype around her.

I look at her as a kid who's never been allowed to think for herself. I hope at some point her parents let her become an adult, and then she should be fine. The LPGA needs her, and every kid deserves a chance to succeed on her own.

Kevin

i think she will do great this year and i look forward to seeing it.

follow her on twitter and she seems like a normal girl, studying hard and playing golf..good luck to her.

I think it would be great for the LPGA for her to have a good year. The LPGA, IMO, is desperately in need of their own "Tiger" for lack of a better word. I think the best she did was stop trying to play on PGA tour events and concentrate on the LPGA.

Back