TaylorMade R9 TP Irons - Long Term Review

How is the shaft in these irons? I have heard that the shafts feel like a wet noodle.

In the R9 TPs? KBS Tour Shafts? In my opinion, they are one of the best on the market. I have never heard that before at all.

Yes I was talking about the KBS Tour Shafts. Thank you for your review and your help

Yes I was talking about the KBS Tour Shafts. Thank you for your review and your help

I have not heard any complaints about it feeling that way. Most who try it really like it quite a bit.

That is really good to hear. I am wanting to get rid of my Mizuno MP-57s and once I do, I want to pick me up a set of the R9 TPs. I just need something that won't punish me as bad on mishits.

That is really good to hear. I am wanting to get rid of my Mizuno MP-57s and once I do, I want to pick me up a set of the R9 TPs. I just need something that won't punish me as bad on mishits.

I would think the non TP version would be more forgiving, best to try to demo them if you can.

I hit both of them at GolfGalaxy and I hit the TP version much better than the regular R9. Plus, I like the overall look of the TP version over the R9 too.

I hit both of them at GolfGalaxy and I hit the TP version much better than the regular R9. Plus, I like the overall look of the TP version over the R9 too.

When you hit them, did you notice problems with the shaft?

No I personally didn't really notcie anything. I usually doubt my opinion sometimes, so I like to hear what other experienced people have to say about them too.

Is the red KBS sticker under the shaft at address on the RP TP's?

I hit a club yesterday with this shaft in a club fitters club and the sticker was on top of the shaft (where I could see it at address).

Just curious if this is normal?

It is normal Biggsy. But I have to say that after about 3-4 swings, you do not even notice it. Atleast in my case I did not.

I guess if it really bothered me I could just take it off. I hit about 40 shots and must say I did not notice it that much, but the initial shots and at address it caught my eye.

R9 or 09 Burner?

R9 or 09 Burner?

Great review! I also hooks irons with a lot of offset because I used to play Mizuno MP 37s but since my left shoulder keeps getting sore due to the cold weather and old age I switch to CG4 (didn't help improve my game but help with the soreness on mishits, I also don't play that much anymore). Anyways, I was wondering if you guys did any reviews on the 09 burner irons. I demoed the R9 and burner irons today at golfsmith because I'm thinking of replacing my 5 year old CG4 irons but I'm still undecided. I really like the look and feel of the R9 but the burners also feels good but not a fan of shaft and setup. It's still too cold to test irons out in the range here Michigan, probably will wait until spring but any suggestions will be nice.

It really comes down to being geared for different players. The Burners will be longer because of shaft length, strong lofts, and head makeup. But they also have a larger head and more offset.

You really cannot go wrong with either one of them if they match your game. Hit them both and see which ones work best for you. Let us know the outcome.

tp

tp

I liked the look of the tp better but the kbs TOUR shaft was not a good fit for my
swing found it too heavy and stiff .
I hit the r9 really well so I ordered a set of 5-pw in them with the kbs 90 stiff shaft.
I am also getting the r9tp aw with a nippon shaft in it to try. Depending on how that works out I may pick up a pw and 9 iron in the tp for a mixed set.

L57

Perfect place for my first post!

I'm very glad I read your review. I am struggling to decide between the r9 TP model, and the TP MB Smoke blades. The look of the r9 TP, along with the sad fact that they are cast than forged, has turned me off of them.

But, I may have to reconsider.

Hopefully you can update this thread with your continued success/input about these irons!

Levi

Any update on the review of these irons?

How is the shaft in these irons? I have heard that the shafts feel like a wet noodle.

You need to identify a shaft to compare to make this statement. I play a stiffer shaft, Project X 6.5 and when I play a KBS Stiff (non-tour) it feels like a wet noodle to use your terminology, however I think a more accurate comparison would be a KBS Tour Stiff or X-Stiff if they are available. And even then it will still be a subjective comparison as "feel" will always be. You need to compare shafts that are similar to each other, kick points, weight, etc.

Craig Mac- Are you still using the R9 TPs. I just wanted to see if you had an update on them and if your thoughts have changed or improved on them.

Craig Mac- Are you still using the R9 TPs. I just wanted to see if you had an update on them and if your thoughts have changed or improved on them.

During a normal year I would play through the winter but this year we had above average rainfall as well as storms that caused flooding in November and again in December. Then we got more rain in January and snow in Feb. I have played one round with the clubs and I am hoping to get out this weekend for the first time in months. I will report back if I can get out and play.

Any update on how you're liking those irons. I just bought a set and were wondering if you were still happy with yours?

Any update on how you're liking those irons. I just bought a set and were wondering if you were still happy with yours?

I wish I did have an update but my post from Nov 28, 2009 was the last time I hit them. I will be getting out soon and updating the thread. Just have to take a day off from working both jobs to be able to play.

I wish I did have an update but my post from Nov 28, 2009 was the last time I hit them. I will be getting out soon and updating the thread. Just have to take a day off from working both jobs to be able to play.

dude, you need to come to the outing and get some golf in!

Any new thoughts on the TP's.How are they working for you ?

i was fitted at TM in carlsbad for a set about a month ago and have about 10 rounds with them. Have the KBS tour stiff shafts. I had been playing hogan apex forged irons for 15 years across 2 sets -apex plus and then apex pros. Big change for me from the hogan #5 shaft to these. These are a great club. The offset, size and top edge thickness are perfect for me and very similar to the hogans I was playing. They are a little more forgiving and distance is about the same, primarily because the lofts are weaker on the R9TP's vs the hogans which I think offset the hotter face and softer shaft of the R9TP's. To me solid shots feel every bit as good as the forged head which was a surprise to me and sold me on them. I wanted the forgivness of the cast head and thought I would give up feel, but I can not tell the difference on solid shots. Misses are a bit easier to diagnose on the forged head but that difference is hardly noticeable. I can fade or draw the ball when needed just as easily with the R9TP's. I did not hit the R9's - the fitter recommended the TP's for me and the R9's were too big and too thick - but that is simply a matter of personal taste as I am sure these are nice irons that the owners can attest to. I would highly recommend the TP's - go hit them.

Back