Diablo forged irons - quick review

hammer84

Master Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.9
I hit the Diablo forged on friday. First day the rep had them so I got lucky or unlucky ;) I currently play 4dx pro forged irons. I was there to try some drivers out and while the callaway rep was looking for a shaft I grabbed on and took a few swings. They felt incredibly sweet. I ended up doing a quick test on the launch monitor with my 7 and 5 iron against the diablos. I had better distance with the diablo. They are bent a little stronger than my set but there was still quite a bit more distance. The thing that intrigued me was my launch angle was much lower. I already hit the ball higher than i like so this was a pleasant surprise.

Looks wise they have a nice topline and a smaller head than a GI iron. Not a tiny head like a MB. Offset was minimal. They do not look like forged clubs with the cavity back.

I'll would rate them a more forgiving than my 4dx. I could feel off center shots ( not as harsh ) but the ball still seemed to travel well. I'm a 10ish hadicap. I bought the forged 4dx so I could reveal my flaws better. The diablos may allow me the same thing while still keeping me in the game on bad days

I will take a look at these when I can get them on a range outside. I was kicking around new clubs and passing the Nickents on but nothing had me interested till I hit these on a wim. I play a 5-9 in my iron set so the sticker shock would not be so bad.

BTW, I did end up buy a driver ;)

Good to have you back Hammer, thanks for the mini review. What driver did you end up picking up?

I agree that the Diablos are really sweet. They seem to have a slight draw bias with slightly more weight in the heel which contributes to the lower ball flight. The uniflex shaft is surprisingly good. I hit them with PX 5.5 and it was nice also. I would still think that the MX300s hold a slight edge over them.

I hit the Diablo forged on friday. First day the rep had them so I got lucky or unlucky ;) I currently play 4dx pro forged irons. I was there to try some drivers out and while the callaway rep was looking for a shaft I grabbed on and took a few swings. They felt incredibly sweet. I ended up doing a quick test on the launch monitor with my 7 and 5 iron against the diablos. I had better distance with the diablo. They are bent a little stronger than my set but there was still quite a bit more distance. The thing that intrigued me was my launch angle was much lower. I already hit the ball higher than i like so this was a pleasant surprise.

Looks wise they have a nice topline and a smaller head than a GI iron. Not a tiny head like a MB. Offset was minimal. They do not look like forged clubs with the cavity back.

I'll would rate them a more forgiving than my 4dx. I could feel off center shots ( not as harsh ) but the ball still seemed to travel well. I'm a 10ish hadicap. I bought the forged 4dx so I could reveal my flaws better. The diablos may allow me the same thing while still keeping me in the game on bad days

I will take a look at these when I can get them on a range outside. I was kicking around new clubs and passing the Nickents on but nothing had me interested till I hit these on a wim. I play a 5-9 in my iron set so the sticker shock would not be so bad.

BTW, I did end up buy a driver ;)
I got a set coming. They do cover more ground because of their lower loft, up to 2 degrees stronger than normal. Don't know if the shaft is slightly longer as well compared to others? Can't wait to play with them.

Welcome back Hammer. LTNS.

High on my radar

High on my radar

I am very interested in these irons. I have been searching for a forgiving forged iron with better distance. The Adams A4's are very good and I played them for 2 years. Switched back to a more forgiving iron with greater distance because I coudn't consistently hit the 6 iron to save my life. I'm eagerly waiting for the Diablo forged to show up here in Ohio so I can demo them.

I hit the Diablo forged on friday.

What shafts did you hit? Nippon 1100 uniflex? Callaway has said the stock shaft will be the 1100 uniflex, but some on line retail stores (golfsmith) are listing/sellng the 1100s as stiff flex, not uniflex.

Did you happen to notice?

Also if what you did hit were the Nippon 1100 uniflex, did they feel the same as they play in the FT irons (if you've ever hit those, which also come with the 1100 uniflex as the stock shafts)?

Thanks.

Yet another players iron available in RH only. This sucks.

What shafts did you hit? Nippon 1100 uniflex? Callaway has said the stock shaft will be the 1100 uniflex, but some on line retail stores (golfsmith) are listing/sellng the 1100s as stiff flex, not uniflex.

Did you happen to notice?

Also if what you did hit were the Nippon 1100 uniflex, did they feel the same as they play in the FT irons (if you've ever hit those, which also come with the 1100 uniflex as the stock shafts)?

Thanks.
Just a note on the uniflex shafts. They are still the same quality as all Nippon shafts, which is very high quality indeed. The uniflex plays between a regular and a stiff. If you need something closer to regular flex Callaway can soft-step the shafts. If you need something a bit more stiff Callaway can hard-step the shafts.

Just a note on the uniflex shafts. They are still the same quality as all Nippon shafts, which is very high quality indeed. The uniflex plays between a regular and a stiff. If you need something closer to regular flex Callaway can soft-step the shafts. If you need something a bit more stiff Callaway can hard-step the shafts.

Anyone know who's making the graphite shafts for these irons and what kind of quality they are? I am having rotator cuff problems and will look hard at the graphite shafts.

hey Def, yeah I have the 1100s in my FTs and like them very much ... but wouldn't mind trying these irons in shafts not made as uniflex, notwithstanding stepping them up or down ... callaway did say there will be custom shafts available (as usual), but i thought they were getting away from the "uniflex" per se, and instead going back to traditional designations ...

Anyone know who's making the graphite shafts for these irons and what kind of quality they are? I am having rotator cuff problems and will look hard at the graphite shafts.

Hey Columbus, greetings from up north in the greater Cleveland area! I don't know what graphite shafts they will have, but can tell you Callaway customer service is extremely helpful and friendly. Give them a call (1-800-588-9836) and ask, and I'm sure they'll have an answer for you.

I believe Callaway has another winner in these irons. They will probably replace my '04 Big Betha irons eventually.

I hit the regular Diablo Edge irons last night. They hit nice but I think I still prefer the '09 Burners. I hit them both side by side and still prefered the Burners. But the Callaways are very nice irons.

After a review of the Diablo Edge I think I wil wait until I can try the forged models. Really didn't see any improvement over my X-20 irons.

Back