Driver off the deck

KUJayhawks

Reaction score
Handicap
As you can see I don't use any fairway woods in my setup. Ive tried a bunch but for some reason havent been able to find one that I can hit with consistency. At the end of last season I started hitting my Burner 10.5 off the fairway and was pretty surprised with the results. I would say my range was about 240-250 and decently accurate. Does anyone else do this that would have any tips, and what should I get for my 14th club. Should I keep testing woods or should I add a 64?

I use my 9.5° Mizuno off the deck when needed. It's not that difficult a shot. I'm considering dropping my FW woods too, although not so I can add anything else. Just don't see any reason for carrying what I don't use. :confused2:

As you can see I don't use any fairway woods in my setup. Ive tried a bunch but for some reason havent been able to find one that I can hit with consistency. At the end of last season I started hitting my Burner 10.5 off the fairway and was pretty surprised with the results. I would say my range was about 240-250 and decently accurate. Does anyone else do this that would have any tips, and what should I get for my 14th club. Should I keep testing woods or should I add a 64?

I would go with a wood or Hybrid...you can always open up your 60

My vote is hybrid. If nothing else as something to hit out of the rough.

I use a 19.5* hybrid that is supposed to replace a 7w/2i. I find it very easy to hit off the deck.

If I have to keep it down I vote for the 4 iron.

I like the 4i as well, i am thinking about getting rid of the 3i as i rarely use it anyhow!

This reply confuses me. OP has 3-pw and is wondering if he should pick up a wood...

I like the 4i as well, i am thinking about getting rid of the 3i as i rarely use it anyhow!
I did and got a hybrid to replace it.Glad I did.

This reply confuses me. OP has 3-pw and is wondering if he should pick up a wood...
my bad
sorry
Usually hit a driver off the deck to keep it low not replace a 3 wood....sorry didn't read thoroughly enough.

Last edited:
definately my vote is for a hybrid.....

from super thin lies and in the rough the driver just can't sweep

With the hybrid you can clip them, my 19` travels the same distance off the deck as my driver does on good lies also.

:act-up:

Hitting a driver off the ground is a lot more difficult than hitting a 3W. Maybe you just need to have a 3W built that matches better with your driver or pickup a higher lofted driver of the same make to use as a 3W, like a 12 or a 14 degree. With the added loft you should have no trouble getting it off the ground and it should fly higher and maybe a little farther. I used to carry a 14 degree driver along with my 8.5 to 9 degree driver, worked great. Wish I still had it.

Back