Interesting (maybe) Driver Length Experiment

DaveLeeNC

Reaction score
Handicap
4-6
I build my own golf clubs. As you can see from my sig, I mostly stay with Wishon components. This isn't because I believe that there is absolutely nothing better out there anywhere. I do this because I believe Wishon makes very good stuff - as good as any that I am likely to find on other than an exception basis - and for those exception basis components I just can't afford the cost of trying them all out. Plus I can talk to the Wishon designers on their forum, so that is where I tend to limit my 'search' (usually).

I had been hitting a Wishon 949MC driver head for a couple of years with no reason to change, other than the fact that the crown suddenly/mysteriously cracked. The Wishon warranty practices are wonderful however the 949MC was long out of production, so replacing that head exactly was not possible.

So I set out on an experiment where I tried out four different heads

- Wishon 949MC (ebay - used)
- Wishon 925GRT
- Wishon 919Thi
- Alpha 830.2 (used, just for grins)

All of these clubs were in the 10-11 degree loft range and similarly shafted. I ended up with preferring the 925GRT (actually 2 of them - I have another 925GRT at 1.5* lower loft that I play on windy days).

But the Alpha was interesting since it had was very light (194 grams vs. 200+ for the other heads). This makes for an interesting "long driver" (as in driver length) option as you can build a 194'ish gram head driver with a 55 gram shaft to a reasonable swingweight. I have (twice now) tried short driver (43-44" vs. my normal 45") experiments and just don't like short drivers. I have tried to vary the flex and SW - I just don't like'em. They hit shorter, they (surprisingly) don't seem to be any straighter, and they dont' feel good to me. So if shorter is worse, maybe longer is better.

So I built the Alpha 830.2 head with a Wishon S5-SUL 55 gram shaft to 46" (D1 swingweight). Truth be told the Alpha head was "a tie" with the Wishon 525GRT head in my original driver replacement experiment. So I like this head (however it doesn't seem to be longer or shorter vs. the 525GRT when similar shafted).

I have now done direct comparisons (in my local "shag ball area") between the long Alpha my my normal 45" Wishon. Plus I have two rounds "under my belt" with the long Alpha. My conclusions are:

1) Somewhere in the 20-40% of the time range, the long driver is slightly longer (5 yards - no more) than the 45" driver. And accuracy in these circumstances is as good as (probably not better) the 'normal' 45" driver.

2) The rest of the time the long driver (on average) is no longer than the 45" driver and somewhat (not a big deal) less accurate.

So based on this it would appear that around 45" is optimum for me.

dave

Interesting, I have not tested different length drivers. I have "always" stayed at 45". I thought it would give me the best combination of accuracy/distance.

Thanks for the info.

Good Info

Good Info

I have often had the same question. Being a short hitter, longer drivers give me added distance, but there is some sacrifice in control/accuracy.

Sounds like your test shows that the extra distance, when it occurs, is worth it versus some instances of poor control/accuracy.

I know when I shortened one to 44 the loss in distance was more noticeable than the gain in accuracy.I had one 48 and the loss in accuracy way outweighed any increase in distance.I had about the same results as you with 46

I'm currently playing at 44", find that distance is only a bit less, but accuracy is noticeably improved. At 44" I seem to find the sweet spot more often, only negative is a tendency to over-swing.

I was playing an R7 (45") and won a Burner (46.25"). When I first started playing the Burner, I couldn't seem to get through the ball with the face squared up. It took a couple of weeks to get the face closed enough to get it on line. Now it is fine. Distance is a bit longer than the R7, but not appreciably.

Back