Most versatile set-up?

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
In my case I have a full set 3-PW, a SW-56, Niblick-42, 3 FW woods and a Driver. With the putter of course I am one club too many.

I am not great with the 3 and 4 Irons, I don't actually hit them much further than the 5, so dropping the 3I seems logical for me. But I could also drop the 3 wood without missing it too much, and with the Niblick having the PW might be redundant now.

I see the low HCper's use a variety of wedges and hybrids in place of high irons and woods, but I am not sure having three wedges below the PW would really help me more than having the option of a 3 wood or a 3I.

So just wondering. Is the most versatile set up:

5-9 iron;
3 wedges;
putter;
driver;
and some combination of 3 hybrids/Woods?

My preference would be to drop the 9 iron or PW, whichever club was closest to the Niblick. Too many clubs in that distance range...

In my case I have a full set 3-PW, a SW-56, Niblick-42, 3 FW woods and a Driver. With the putter of course I am one club too many.

I am not great with the 3 and 4 Irons, I don't actually hit them much further than the 5, so dropping the 3I seems logical for me. But I could also drop the 3 wood without missing it too much, and with the Niblick having the PW might be redundant now.

I see the low HCper's use a variety of wedges and hybrids in place of high irons and woods, but I am not sure having three wedges below the PW would really help me more than having the option of a 3 wood or a 3I.

So just wondering. Is the most versatile set up:

5-9 iron;
3 wedges;
putter;
driver;
and some combination of 3 hybrids/Woods?

That is my setup, but it will really come down to where your gaps are and what you are comfortable hitting.

Re: Most versatile set-up?

I'm changing toward a similar setup as you described. I need more club choices within 150 yards than I need off the tee. It all kinda boils down to what do you need more help with?

It's dependent on what You feel comfortable with.And like JB says where your gaps fall.What works for me may not be good advice for you.A lot of this depends on trail and error..eg: golfing rounds and seeing what works,what doesn't and replacing what doesn't with something that does.Until you feel confident in the club in your hand will give you the results you seek.Some people don't use hardly any irons except for the short ones.Some use "niblicks"some wedges,some don't carry fairway woods or a driver.It's an individual sport and not too many people hit their clubs exactly the same .The pros usually have a pretty consistant 14 club setup but they aren't even using exactly what the other guy is using.Trying to be the same can lead to problems with your personal game.That's just my take and I surely could be wrong.

Of course I understand it will be a bit different person to person- just trying to see if there is any common trends that are working.

I am actually thinking of dropping the 3I and 4I for a single Hybrid. And dropping the PW (which is pretty weak in the XLis I have as well as being close to the same loft as the Niblick) for a 50* wedge of some kind- maybe even another Niblick.

But I was thinking about how that would look in the bag and it seemed strange.

Like you guys say, I guess I should just play around with some combinations and see what works.

The tournament I played in last weekend was kind of unique in that each foursome had their own score keeper/rules official tagging a long. So, not having to worry about such things, I used that "custom score card" I posted about earlier in another thread.

Last night I dug out my score cards and found a few interesting issues with my current bag make up, which is 5-9 irons, 4 wedges, a driver, 3,5, 7 woods, and of course a putter. What I found after correlating the four rounds of info was this; Not once did I use my sand wedge for anything. I only used my PW twice. I only used my driver 6 times. That means one of two things. One I should probably use those clubs more often, while not relying on other clubs. Two, I don't need to carry them in the first place. :confused2:

Why is 14 clubs the max you can have in your bag? Does this include the putter?

Why is 14 clubs the max you can have in your bag? Does this include the putter?
rules...and it does include putter.
A casual game when you're trying something new and you can deal with grief from playing partners you can carry all you want.But the rules of golf is 14 total.I usually carry 13 and that's problely more than I need.

Easy solution, get a bag with 15-16 slots:D Mine has 15 plus a putter well. There are times I carry that many too, but I never play in any competitions & typically have the extra club or 2 in there because I want to try it out for 2-3 shots during a rd.

Easy solution, get a bag with 15-16 slots:D Mine has 15 plus a putter well. There are times I carry that many too, but I never play in any competitions & typically have the extra club or 2 in there because I want to try it out for 2-3 shots during a rd.
if your're not in competition this is the way to go.Then you'll know what to keep ,what to leave at home.What you need that you don't have possibly also but not necessarily.Sometimes less is more once you get it sorted out.

Back