Smoking On The Driving Range?

CM you're exactly right on these points. I tell you what's worse is that you can't smoke in bars anymore. That i don't understand. It's a bar for god's sake. I don't make an effort to make someone uncomfortable with my smoking and don't smoke much on the range but if i do i make sure not to offend anyone while i do. if the range is packed i typically ask my range neighbors if they mind if i smoke. i feel like that's at least courteous of me.

That is extremely courteous of you. I think, at least for me, the anger is geared toward the people who just don't care. Who will just light up anywhere without any regard for how others feel. I also agree with CM about people talking on their cell phone and such there seems to be such a lack of respect for others these days.

The whole smoking in bars thing is very interesting to me. Stats show that drinkers are smokers so it makes sense to have smoking in bars. I am not sure how it is in other places but in Florida if your food revenue is (I think) over 10% of your total revenue then smoking is forbidden in your establishment. However, if it is less than (again I am unsure of this exact number) 10% then smoking is permitted and it is up to the individual owner if they want to allow smoking.

I have been very clear that I can't stand smoking but when I needed extra money I worked in a bar that allowed smoking. I couldn't breath and was getting sick a lot but at the time it paid my bills so it was worth it and it was my choice. I wasn't angry at the people who were smoking in the bar they had every right to do it and it was my choice to put myself in that situation.

That is extremely courteous of you. I think, at least for me, the anger is geared toward the people who just don't care. Who will just light up anywhere without any regard for how others feel. I also agree with CM about people talking on their cell phone and such there seems to be such a lack of respect for others these days.

The whole smoking in bars thing is very interesting to me. Stats show that drinkers are smokers so it makes sense to have smoking in bars. I am not sure how it is in other places but in Florida if your food revenue is (I think) over 10% of your total revenue then smoking is forbidden in your establishment. However, if it is less than (again I am unsure of this exact number) 10% then smoking is permitted and it is up to the individual owner if they want to allow smoking.

I have been very clear that I can't stand smoking but when I needed extra money I worked in a bar that allowed smoking. I couldn't breath and was getting sick a lot but at the time it paid my bills so it was worth it and it was my choice. I wasn't angry at the people who were smoking in the bar they had every right to do it and it was my choice to put myself in that situation.

well, at least you have a realistic view about smoking and smokers. i hate that i smoke and it's something i've struggled with for a while. i need to quit and soon but i am addicted.

in asheville they've banned smoking in public. can't smoke in bars and there's certain points around downtown that are designated as "smoking spots". i got a ticket the other day for smoking outside of our office (i didn't know that i couldn't b/c it wasn't marked as a non smoking zone, so i am indispute with the city over my fine).

as far as a bar that serves food, i can respect that. i never smoke around food or those who are eating food, i think that's disgusting in inredibly inpolite. but no smoking in a bar that doesn't serve food drives me crazy. drinking is just as harmful as smoking to the human body, could you imagine the outrage if you couldn't serve alcohol in restaurants. it's the double standard that bothers me.

well, at least you have a realistic view about smoking and smokers. i hate that i smoke and it's something i've struggled with for a while. i need to quit and soon but i am addicted.

in asheville they've banned smoking in public. can't smoke in bars and there's certain points around downtown that are designated as "smoking spots". i got a ticket the other day for smoking outside of our office (i didn't know that i couldn't b/c it wasn't marked as a non smoking zone, so i am indispute with the city over my fine).

as far as a bar that serves food, i can respect that. i never smoke around food or those who are eating food, i think that's disgusting in inredibly inpolite. but no smoking in a bar that doesn't serve food drives me crazy. drinking is just as harmful as smoking to the human body, could you imagine the outrage if you couldn't serve alcohol in restaurants. it's the double standard that bothers me.

I have such mixed feelings about that. Drinking and driving can kill a person but just sitting next to someone smoking can also be harmful to that non-smokers health. It's such a touchy subject and I think tempers can flare pretty quickly, almost like discussing politics or religion. I try to keep as open of a mind as possible but sometimes for me it's frustrating. I want to be just as respectful to you for your choice to smoke as I hope a smoker can be respectful to me for choosing not to smoke.

I want to be just as respectful to you for your choice to smoke as I hope a smoker can be respectful to me for choosing not to smoke.

I think that's very well stated. If only all smoker and nonsmokers had that mind set then none of this would be an issue.

I have such mixed feelings about that. Drinking and driving can kill a person but just sitting next to someone smoking can also be harmful to that non-smokers health. It's such a touchy subject and I think tempers can flare pretty quickly, almost like discussing politics or religion. I try to keep as open of a mind as possible but sometimes for me it's frustrating. I want to be just as respectful to you for your choice to smoke as I hope a smoker can be respectful to me for choosing not to smoke.

+1 GG...well said!

It's too bad that most people are just too self-centered to care, selfish people really get on my nerves. For every smoker that ask if it bothers somebody if they smoke there are 10 more that will light up wherever they please and for every non-smoker that doesn't want to cause a scene after somebody lights up there are 10 that will throw a fit.

Im pretty severely allergic to cigarette smoke. Cigar smoke and pipe smoke has a much more muted effect but I can just be downwind from someone smoking a cig 30 feet away and within 30 seconds my nasal passages and throat feel like a dry cracked lakebed and if I am exposed much longer, it takes days to recover. Until they outlawed smoking inside restaurants and such here in GA, it was horrible to try and go out to eat. I don't know how many people are as sensitive to it as me but it obviously poses a big problem for me individually.

Re: Smoking On The Driving Range?

Just to add fuel to the fire. When did it become a right? We wern't born with cigarettes in our mouth. So why should us non smokers have to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im pretty severely allergic to cigarette smoke. Cigar smoke and pipe smoke has a much more muted effect but I can just be downwind from someone smoking a cig 30 feet away and within 30 seconds my nasal passages and throat feel like a dry cracked lakebed and if I am exposed much longer, it takes days to recover. Until they outlawed smoking inside restaurants and such here in GA, it was horrible to try and go out to eat. I don't know how many people are as sensitive to it as me but it obviously poses a big problem for me individually.

I bet you are glad that I quit smoking.

Just to add fuel to the fire. When did it become a right? We wern't born with cigarettes in our mouth. So why should us non smokers have to deal with it.

We werent born swearing, drinking, or anything else either.

As long as there isn't a no smoking sign it is my right to light up wherever I please. Healthcare isn't a right either, but now I am paying $.40 for every cigar I smoke so some child can get healthcare. Shouldn't their parents be paying that?

I was born without cloths and I think I should stay that way haha. Seriously, I agree though. If something is harmful to others, it should be restricted, but not to the degree where people lose their freedom to smoke.

Re: Smoking On The Driving Range?

JB said:
We werent born swearing, drinking, or anything else either.

Swearing doesn't effect other peoples health neither does drinking. If someone is an alcoholic. It's not going to give me second hand alcoholism.

SethO said:
I was born without cloths and I think I should stay that way haha. Seriously, I agree though. If something is harmful to others, it should be restricted, but not to the degree where people lose their freedom to smoke.

Very good point. You and the clothes part I mean lol

Swearing doesn't effect other peoples health neither does drinking.

But drinking and driving does. And swearing can effect people emotionally. Unless there is a sign there it is someones right to do it since it is not against the law.

Swearing doesn't effect other peoples health neither does drinking. If someone is an alcoholic. It's not going to give me second hand alcoholism.

I agree and disagree with you. You are absolutely right that second hand smoke is just as harmful, if not worse, than actually smoking a cigarette yourself. For that I totally agree with you. Drinking can effect other people's health if they are drinking and driving or they are an angry drunk and become physically or emotionally abusive. However, the direct health effects are not the same as smoking.

For me personally, I cannot understand why anyone would want to smoke. It smells terrible, it makes you smell, turns your teeth yellow, and is clearly very bad for your health and is harmful to others. But the law says cigarettes are allowed to be sold and they are allowed to be smoked in designated areas so we can't fault people who abide by the law. As I stated before this is such a hot topic and can easily turn into a major political debate because non-smokers feel very strongly about their rights to breathe clean air and smokers feel just as strongly about their right to smoke where the law says they can.

I was pretty appalled when they announced the law here about no smoking in a public place, but it's sure been nice ever since. As a non-smoker I hate smelling it on my hair and clothes after a night out.

People just need to use common sense. I'd like to think that if I was a smoker I'd keep the drift away from anyone else, even outside. Shouldn't be too hard to stay down wind.

But drinking and driving does. And swearing can effect people emotionally. Unless there is a sign there it is someones right to do it since it is not against the law.

True......I'm not sure that we were talking about the emotional effects cigarette smoke has on people though....

True......I'm not sure that we were talking about the emotional effects cigarette smoke has on people though....

Sure we are. The health effects are horrible, but how many people here are complaining about the smell. That bothers them on an emotional level.

I agree and disagree with you. You are absolutely right that second hand smoke is just as harmful, if not worse, than actually smoking a cigarette yourself. For that I totally agree with you. Drinking can effect other people's health if they are drinking and driving or they are an angry drunk and become physically or emotionally abusive. However, the direct health effects are not the same as smoking.

For me personally, I cannot understand why anyone would want to smoke. It smells terrible, it makes you smell, turns your teeth yellow, and is clearly very bad for your health and is harmful to others. But the law says cigarettes are allowed to be sold and they are allowed to be smoked in designated areas so we can't fault people who abide by the law. As I stated before this is such a hot topic and can easily turn into a major political debate because non-smokers feel very strongly about their rights to breathe clean air and smokers feel just as strongly about their right to smoke where the law says they can.

The government allows it because they can tax it.....just like alcohol.....I couldn't imagine how much is made off of cigarettes and alcohol a year!

The government allows it because they can tax it.....just like alcohol.....I couldn't imagine how much is made off of cigarettes and alcohol a year!

Especially with the recent increase on taxes for cigs. Here in Florida I read it went from right around $4 a pack to over $6 in some places.

Sure we are. The health effects are horrible, but how many people here are complaining about the smell. That bothers them on an emotional level.

I'm sure that the smell affects people emotionally different then someone cussing.....

Especially with the recent increase on taxes for cigs. Here in Florida I read it went from right around $4 a pack to over $6 in some places.

Same in Cali, of course everything is more expensive here....Do you know how many new clubs a month one could buy if we used the money from smoking two packs a day!:banana:

I'm sure that the smell affects people emotionally different then someone cussing.....

You cannot possibly know that. Some people due to religion and other things take major offense to swearing. Others find the smell of cigarettes horrible. I dont like either, but it is different for different people

Back