2010 Driver Shoot Out Results

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks JB, great read.

Were there any standout drivers (good or bad) in either of the Distance or Accuracy tests?

I'm changing driver very soon, and with so many scoring well its very difficult to pick!

• Admin
There were quite a bit depending on the handicap group in question. The Wilson Staff Smooth did not do well for most categories. The Geek DCT did okay for the mid handicappers but not well for the low or high finishing close to dead last in those. The Ping I15 was a huge struggle for high handicappers. It really was different for each handicap group.

I thought I'd narrowed my selection to the Launcher DST or R9 SuperTri, now both Nike drivers are in the equation and the G15! JB - have you any particular comments on these?

Getting somewhere to try them out is a pain where I'm from, but it is a must as you guys say.

Taken up golf in earest about 6 months ago. Pro says I'm progressing well but if I had a handicap I expect it would be high. 7 irons is good for 150 yards but driver only about 210. I know the indian needs more work than the bow.

Thanks again.

• Admin
All of those drivers did quite well. I will say that the light drivers that were a big trend in 2010 for the most part did extremely well for the high and mid handicappers. The DST, Adams Fast 10, TM Burner, etc...Only the Cobra ZL failed miserably in this case and struggled with both distance and accuracy for all 3 categories.

fantastic results and insight there...

always wanted to know how the adams speedline performed,
and wanted to know how they all faired..

All of those drivers did quite well. I will say that the light drivers that were a big trend in 2010 for the most part did extremely well for the high and mid handicappers. The DST, Adams Fast 10, TM Burner, etc...Only the Cobra ZL failed miserably in this case and struggled with both distance and accuracy for all 3 categories.

Excellent advice JB, thanks. Thats pushed me 90% to the Launcher DST (graphics on the Burner put me off).

• Admin
Excellent advice JB, thanks. Thats pushed me 90% to the Launcher DST (graphics on the Burner put me off).

I have not tried the DST myself more than a few times on the range, so I cannot give you a lot of advice or info on it, but will be testing it in full now. I can tell you that it fared quite well in all of the handicap groups and had a top 5 finish overall because of it.

I'm really curious of the results by handicap category, especially the high handicaps. Can't wait until March

I'm really curious of the results by handicap category, especially the high handicaps. Can't wait until March

We will have a complete breakdown of every category and every handicap in the magazine.

JB,

I tried the diablo neutral last year but did not like it simply because it launched so low. I had the 10 degree version. Does the new edge version launch low as well.

Rob

JB,

I tried the diablo neutral last year but did not like it simply because it launched so low. I had the 10 degree version. Does the new edge version launch low as well.

Rob

I did not see a low launch on this version. To me it was a mid launch, but I have not hit it a whole lot as of yet. Should be able to get it out there today for some testing.

Interesting results. I will have to try out the Diablo Edge- that is not a club I would have considered before. Strange to see a list with Cobra not finishing in the top 5 any any catagory.

Also happy to hear the 'lighter longer' drivers were a good fit with the higher handicappers.

I think it will be a choice between the Diablo and DST for me.

Interesting results. I will have to try out the Diablo Edge- that is not a club I would have considered before. Strange to see a list with Cobra not finishing in the top 5 any any catagory.

Also happy to hear the 'lighter longer' drivers were a good fit with the higher handicappers.

I think it will be a choice between the Diablo and DST for me.

Cobra has done well in other events for us in the past. But the ZL driver did not do well in accuracy for all three handicap groups. That was its doom in this event.

How was the sound on the DST? I see it didn't make top 5- but compared to the 2009 Launcher how would you rank it?

How was the sound on the DST? I see it didn't make top 5- but compared to the 2009 Launcher how would you rank it?

To me the sound is similar to that of the Launcher. Maybe a tad louder, but not too much that I noticed. I have not played it on the course yet. It did get a top 5 in overall, so the testers certainly liked the results.

JB, one last question.

Did you notice if the stock shafts in the Lanucher DST played to flex, and if the launch was high/mid/low?

With the shaft being so light I seem to want to go with the stiff, and I'm not sure if I can find anywhere to test the club out.

I have not thoroughly tested it, however in the few swings i have done, I would say the shaft plays close to flex and the launch was in the middle for me. More coming soon as I review them.

Great work, this is by far the largest selection and most unbiased test for drivers I've seen. I'm fairly new to the site but will be signing up for the magazine just to see the results. I'm interested in how the clubs broke out by group.

bit dissapointed that there was no representation from Mizuno, but a fantastic write up none the less.

quite surprised by the diablo up top, and not a great showing from nikes new sticks.

bit dissapointed that there was no representation from Mizuno, but a fantastic write up none the less.

Mizuno has been in every shoot out we have done in every category. Unfortunately, there drivers were not ready to ship and be here on time. We will have a full review of them soon.

How do we sign up for the magazine? Thanks.

How do we sign up for the magazine? Thanks.

The initial limited edition copy is sold out unfortunately that came out in December.

All future copies will be available here, Barnes & Noble, and other fine stores across the country. You will be able to buy subscriptions directly from them or on our site very soon.

The initial limited edition copy is sold out unfortunately that came out in December.

All future copies will be available here, Barnes & Noble, and other fine stores across the country. You will be able to buy subscriptions directly from them or on our site very soon.

I know we are off topic a bit- but you you be able to deliver the magazine to Europe?

Back