Playing With ________ Girl Or Guy.

I would say that the typical course here in the UK sets off every 8 - 10 minutes or so. If you keep up with the group in front and not the group behind then there shouldn't be a problem. Also depends on how rough the rough is.

Lots of clubs don't actually issue tee times. People just set off when the tee is free or frequently courses have 2/3/4/5 different starting points on the course which keeps the play flowing. Remember also that 99% of players walk here so I think that helps too.

I'm really lucky as my club has 3 courses and there is never a waiting problem even on a busy summer day. That plus the fact that one of the courses is a 2 ball only course every day so I can always pretty much get round in under 3 hours.

Sounds to me that some of these clubs are just interested in making as much money as possible. Most of the clubs here in the UK are members clubs and although anyone can pay a green fee to play the majority of them, the members wouldn't stand for it if too many people were squeezed on.

I feel for you guys having to wait so long, slow play wrecks my game and I don't think I could cope with it permanently. I'd give the game up I think!

I don't get that. If you go off early, it just means you are going to back up that much earlier.

It's usually not too bad because the first hole is a par 4 followed by a par 5. That spaces it out a bit for the most part.

i played with "i think im tiger woods and act like bb blake but shoot like a hacker"...
wow... thank goodness the other single i played with was pleasant... the bad attitude guy was really affecting my round... it was like his purpose for playing that day was to "beat" me

Well Russ did you beat him??

i played with "i think im tiger woods and act like bb blake but shoot like a hacker"...
wow... thank goodness the other single i played with was pleasant... the bad attitude guy was really affecting my round... it was like his purpose for playing that day was to "beat" me

I hate playing with jerks like that, instead of getting mad they should go take a lesson or 5 or 6 and learn how to play.

i wasnt keeping track of his score but he didnt even putt on 3 greens... he'd pick his ball up from where ever he failed to chip up on and walk to his push cart... wait for me an the other guy to finish our putts and start walking to the next tee...

today i played with "hilarious retired judge" guy... this guy was great to play with... he was funny in every way... made my day... wish i could pair up with more ppl that love life the way this guy does

Here's one I haven't seen yet...maybe it's just me that has this problem, but does anyone else play with "Golf Movie Quote Guy"?

I have a friend who I've known for a while, and while his intentions are good, sometimes he can annoy the hell out you.

Anyway, every time we play, at least once every other hole, he'll throw in a quote from either Caddyshack or Happy Gilmore. Or when he feels like mixing it up a bit, he'll quote Pedro Cerrano from Major League when he pulls off a headcover "Hats....for bats....keep bats warm..."

This past week I played with "real good golfer", and "ma & pop" golfers. Both rounds were fun for different reasons. "RGG" brought out some my best golf I have played in a while, and "M&P" golfers showed that a person could play this game for a loooong time. :D

played with "crotchety complainer guy" today... kinda a downer

i played with "ima teaching pro in my mind" guy yesterday... he was a nice guy... but he gave me advice on everything and told me i should be a scratch golfer if i did things the way he thought i should... not enjoyable even tho i was as polite as possible

I played a round with a few of my old college buddies.
Buddy 1: Possibly my best friend in the world and a regular playing partner. Nothing new here. He is a little better than me, but we are pretty close in skill level. Crack jokes, talk about life, compliment the good shots, lament/make fun of the bad shots. Great guy to golf with.

Buddy 2: Another roomate from college. He is a business man and takes golf as seriously as I do. He likes to have side games going during the round, but doesn't like to play for any real money (which is frustrating because, out of all of us, he pulls in the most $$$ at work). He is ultra competitive, but not at all an arse to play with. He is more interested in the competition with himself than competition with another person. Battle golf with him is very fun.

Buddy 3: This is the guy who fudges about score and doesn't count penalties on himself. He thinks he can be a great golfer, but there is no way he can ever be better than an OK golfer. Everything is a competition to him and he will try to outdo you in everything, but he does it very subtly so it is not mind blowingly annoying. He will compliment nice shots and is very encouraging even though everything is a competition. I guess that is the teacher in him coming out. He was having a terrible round, but he was not making excuses right and left. It was funny seeing him get mad.

Had a father/son round in the morning,

Dad hasn't played in 2 years...... shot 44 through 9 and decided that was enough golf for him.

we decended on the 19th (or 10th)

good day:comp:

We played behind a couple who I think was brand new to the game. The lady hit like 2 balls of the tee, then she chose which one she liked better and then hit that one, ooops, she missed, reached for another ball to hit from her original spot, then she finally made it onto the green and her husband/BF/whatever was showing her how to putt, missed the putt, ooops look another ball, she hit like so many balls it was driving me crazy!! And the Marshall came up to us and said that we were too slow, but thankfully the group behind us told the Marshall that it was the group in front of us and not us that were being slow!!

I played with a couple who were snow birding from Washington State this morning. They were retired farmers, and just a lot of fun to share the round with. The husband had a wicked slice, but because he sliced the ball the same every time, he could play it, and still stay in the fairways. His (farmer's) upper body strength allowed him to hit the ball pretty far most of the time. The wife, although she did not hit the ball very far, hit a straight ball every time. I mentioned to him I knew a farmer in Ontario Oregon who turned part of his farm into golf course for his own use, then eventually started letting paying customers use it. He had never thought about that till I mentioned it to him. So, starting sometime around the end of March when they travel back to Washington he says he has 20 acres he figures will make a fine, personal golf course. He figures to have a lot of dog leg rights on his course. :clapp:

Today I had the worst grouping ever since I started playing golf. Made a 1:10pm tee time with my GF, a little nice quality time, figured we should get in at least 16 holes, 18 if things move well. We were paired with a 3-some, a mom and her two 20 something sons. First, I was a little p*ssed that they actually put out 5-somes at this course, it was a really nice place but there were two 5-somes ahead of us too.

My GF has been a little nervous because she has not played alot. I told her not to worry because she hits the ball well (and straight!) which is way better then most people. These three were warming up.. taking practice swings, looking quite serious. They were decked out in golf fashion and were sporting some really nice gear. The mom walks up to the blue tees and starts to tee up.... I'm thinking WOW she must be pretty good. I tell them I will play from the blues, but my GF will play from the front tees. They say no prob and start to tee off. They were TERRIBLE. Turns out they can't hit worth a d*mn, they are all over the course. The mom picks finds a ball in our fairway that is not ours and she picks it up and puts it in her pocket. When the group from the adjacent hold comes asking if someone found a nike ball, she says "here it is!" and throws it to them. I showed the guy where she picked it up so he could continue to hit his ball. At one point, they played my ball instead of theirs, despite the fact that they are NOT playing Titleists and I also have a blue sharpie mark that goes all the way around the ball. They played out of turn, did not put the flag back if they holed out first, left the green before everyone holed out, and the walked all over everyone's putting lines.

It took 3 hours to play 9 holes. Unbelievable... and all the while, they acted like they were pros... thank god they quit after 9 holes.

This is a fun thread, reading about that__guy/girl, lol. I think I've played with most or all of these. I'm the Mr. Talk at Myself guy, lol. I can't help it and believe me I try. After a bad shot I say "Damit Duey", or "I coyld screw up a .....", stuff like that. I even crack myself up sometimes, yelling at myself. A good buddy of mine has started calling me "Damit Duey", ROFL!

I can play with about anyone except Mr. Speedy Gonzalas Guy. There are times to kick it in gear and go and I don't play slow by any means, but having to run to shots or the carts not for me. I don't mind the naturally fast individual who just walks up and hits it. Thats just how some play best, but I'll line up my shot, take a practice swing and hit it.

today i played with

"i'm so good usually but instead i'm angry"

played with him a couple of times before and gave him the benefit....

to start with this is not my normal course, so he doesn't know me ......
At the start he says, "i remember you, i'll give you a 22 handicap to make it fair and we can have a bet??????"

usually i don't bet on the course but i just thought "you jerk!!!" so i did bet him $2 a hole..........

now, i'm a 14.2 h/c

walked away with $34 so yes.....won 17 of the holes and tied 1, leaving him swearing and then breaking his driver and 4 iron!!!!

sometimes life gives you these little gifts, it felt very quite good to come out ontop of this guy!!!

Wow -- he lost a lot of money in clubs plus $34 in lost wagering. Nice work!

yesterday i played with "skater kid and navy dad"... it was the kids first time on a full length course and he wasnt half bad... they werent very talkative but were very polite... they only played 9

Today I had the worst grouping ever since I started playing golf. Made a 1:10pm tee time with my GF, a little nice quality time, figured we should get in at least 16 holes, 18 if things move well. We were paired with a 3-some, a mom and her two 20 something sons. First, I was a little p*ssed that they actually put out 5-somes at this course, it was a really nice place but there were two 5-somes ahead of us too.

My GF has been a little nervous because she has not played alot. I told her not to worry because she hits the ball well (and straight!) which is way better then most people. These three were warming up.. taking practice swings, looking quite serious. They were decked out in golf fashion and were sporting some really nice gear. The mom walks up to the blue tees and starts to tee up.... I'm thinking WOW she must be pretty good. I tell them I will play from the blues, but my GF will play from the front tees. They say no prob and start to tee off. They were TERRIBLE. Turns out they can't hit worth a d*mn, they are all over the course. The mom picks finds a ball in our fairway that is not ours and she picks it up and puts it in her pocket. When the group from the adjacent hold comes asking if someone found a nike ball, she says "here it is!" and throws it to them. I showed the guy where she picked it up so he could continue to hit his ball. At one point, they played my ball instead of theirs, despite the fact that they are NOT playing Titleists and I also have a blue sharpie mark that goes all the way around the ball. They played out of turn, did not put the flag back if they holed out first, left the green before everyone holed out, and the walked all over everyone's putting lines.

It took 3 hours to play 9 holes. Unbelievable... and all the while, they acted like they were pros... thank god they quit after 9 holes.

Groups of 5! Yikes! Surprised that is allowed anywhere but the poker table.

Groups of 5! Yikes! Surprised that is allowed anywhere but the poker table.

No kidding! This course is in a nice area (Los Verdes Golf Course in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA)... It's a muni course, but it looks like they were stacking 5 somes all day long...

I guess I'm either lucky or don't play enough. Most of my rounds are me flying solo and I prefer it that way unless I'm playing with work buddies. I figure I don't want to subject other players to my game since breaking 100 isn't easy for me yet.

So far everyone I've ended up paired up with has been pretty nice. No jerk or wannabe pro sightings yet.

I talk to myself on the course at times too so i'm probably 'that' guy at times. i can get mad at my game but I don't throw clubs etc. Sometimes I'll drop an f bomb but really try not to.

Most times when I am paired up with people I'll let them know I'm not very good and that they can play ahead at anytime and it won't hurt my feelings.

I probably just jinxed myself and will play with a bunch of $%hats this year.

I cannot think of a better name for this guy, but today I played with "inventor guy."

So, this guy joins our group in my round today. He tees off and shanks into the woods. Then the rest of us tee off. After I hit my drive, he asks if he can see me driver (the TM SuperTri). He then says, "You know that I invented this." I chuckle because I thought he was kidding and because of the absurdity of the notion.

He then begins to explain to me that he designed and developed this very driver and that he took it to Golf Smith for them to mass produce. He says that Golf Smith "stole" his idea and sold it to Nike for millions of dollars. Then he told me that an ex-employee of Nike stole the design and brought it to TM with him. Then, they of course, developed the product without his permission. He said that he has sent TM a cease-and-desist letter and a demand for a million dollars.

All this happened before I even hit my second shot. Of course, I told him that he was full of it. Apparently, however, I should have just went along with it, because for the rest of the round he would analyze each of my drives and explain why he designed the driver to effectuate that type of drive. It was a bit amusing, but mostly annoying.

shoulda hit em in the head with "his" driver

Back