We are not getting divorced or hiding anything it just seemed easier to do it this way this year since it was our first year being married. Hopefully, like you said, it won't raise any red flags since this will be the only year that we file separately next year we will file together.

Then you should be fine. It's the year after year thing that makes agents raise their antennae. Even though it shouldn't.

haha sorry wish I could help. As of tomorrow (has been pushed back twice) I will be unemployed.

I'm already on the job hunt myself. And unfortunately haven't had any consulting work since about June of last year.

However if you want to golf I plan on spending 2-3 months golfing at least 4-5 days a week. Trust me I dont have much money either. I'll be playing as many budget courses as I can haha.

Must be nice living in california unemployed and still being able to golf 4 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 months either you are a magician or I must not be living right and extremely unlucky.

Must be nice living in california unemployed and still being able to golf 4 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 months either you are a magician or I must not be living right and extremely unlucky.

Only thing that saves me is I keep my monthly expenses low. I was able to find out a while back that I was losing my job so it helped me hold off buying a new car and over extending myself. Basically was able to plan for this and figured I would enjoy a little time off.

Oh my--married filing separately is the pits.

You also have to be prepared for being audited after a few years of it. This is purely anecdotal, but it seems that most people who file separately do so either because they're getting divorced or because one spouse is a tax protester and the other wants nothing to do with it. So if you've filed separately for enough years, it raises flags.

Now, it shouldn't. Lots of people have perfectly legitimate reasons for filing separately. But a lot of revenue agents smell tax fraud when they see that filing status.

My wife and I have been filing seperately every year since we got married in 2005. We get a little bit more back that way. Well I get more, she pays so I get less. :angry:

Then you should be fine. It's the year after year thing that makes agents raise their antennae. Even though it shouldn't.

Good because I am not looking to anger the IRS. I have never been shady about my taxes, even when I was a 1099 employee I paid every quarter and put away more then I knew I was going to need to pay just to be safe. When it comes to money I am extremely responsible and I can account for every penny I have spent.

Calloway !! Here's the dude we need to buy the steaks at our Springfling in Blairsville Ga :blob: Just kidding Seth :D Well maybe not :bananadance:

hahaha. That money will be long gone. The day it shows up in my bank is the day I get completely out of credit card debt.

I am sure you will win enough off of me on the course to cover a steak dinner :D

hahaha. That money will be long gone. The day it shows up in my bank is the day I get completely out of credit card debt.

I am sure you will win enough off of me on the course to cover a steak dinner :D

I'm glad you're getting yourself out of debt there SethO. That's a good way to be and not something i'm terribly familiar with. :D

It seems as though we're all just going to have to be responsible for our own steaks fellas, unless of course i get a big fat return myself. Still waiting on the W2 but can't wait to start writing stuff off.

Back