Custom Score Cards

Thanks for the explanation Dave. That is very helpful. I'm not a numbers person - my brain just doesn't function that way.

This year will be my first season using my OnPar GPS. It has a built in score card / stat tracking feature that I can't wait to use.

Then again, once I get detailed stats of how lousy I actually am I may have a change of mind.

I kept stats for a full season last year. They didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. It was also a bit of a pain marking everything down and then having to input the data into a computer.

Of course, I'm not much of a numbers person. The only number I will continue to track is number of putts per hole/round.

It really is a matter of personal style and personal inclination. I really want the ability to analyze my play at some level of detail and would truly miss this ability. Obviously this has no value to you.

There is no right or wrong here - whatever works for you/me.

dave

I know in a general way where my strengths and weaknesses are. Tracking stats wouldn't change that, nor am I ever going to put in the practice time that would be needed to make those stats better. I'm not a precise ball striker, I don't hit a lot of fairways and I don't hit a lot of greens. I do get up and down regularly, and I putt pretty well, so I keep my handicap in a range that is livable for me. Unlike many here, that's all I ask of my game.

I'm not a stats type of personality... I've tried it and found it to be too much hassle. I don't save score cards, I don't record my rounds anywhere but on the GHIN site. I'm a feel player and I pretty much approach golf that way as a whole. :D

Me too, 4P. I keep track mentally of how many greens I hit in regulation and how many fairways I hit. If I am hitting fairways, but not greens, there is a problem. I don't really track short game stats anymore. Generally, I get up and down 50% of the time. The only improvement that is going to radically change my game is GIR. If I can double my GIR's (which are low) then my scores will come down 4-5 strokes. That gets me in the 70's all the time which is my goal right now.

I usaully put a little check when I am able to hit the fairway with my drive. An M when I use a drive Mully. And I put a little 3,5, or 7 when I have had a sucessful wood shot from the fairway.

I used to stuggle with those clubs a lot, so I used to try out things on the driving range then use them on the course for a full game and see if the number of checks increased by the end of the round. This year I might start putting checks for greens in regulation instead (I am sure that would be a VERY small number!).

I also try to keep track of problem holes. There was one par 3 over water than I took a bath on every time I played it. Only 170 yards but it just kept freaking me out. So I would try differnt clubs, ball positions and kept track till I found what worked. (an easy 7 wood was my answer)

I would not be bringing spreadsheets around. But I try to sent a modest goal for the year and then find a way to keep track of it in an easy way.

It really is a matter of personal style and personal inclination. I really want the ability to analyze my play at some level of detail and would truly miss this ability. Obviously this has no value to you.

There is no right or wrong here - whatever works for you/me.

dave

Well said :)

I keep some stats, but keep them on the scorecard and it helps me figure out what part of my game I need work on...lately...its been EVERYTHING :banghead:

Back