Frickin' Airlines

But the Sunday night flight back from Vegas . . . whoa. That one smelled like feet . . . or arse . . . or feet that had been up an arse.

Do you want to explain what you were doing on a flight back from Vegas on a Sunday night, or why you took your shoes off? :laughing:

Do you want to explain what you were doing on a flight back from Vegas on a Sunday night, or why you took your shoes off? :laughing:

Company "retreat."

My shoes always stay on when flying. I also wear actual clothing instead of pajamas/sweatpants and slippers/crocs.

I try to limit myself to a single carry on bag.

I try to limit myself to a single carry on bag.

Lots of people are now because of the fees dyna. From what I hear people are trying to get away with bigger carry-on bags. Not checking bags is hard to do though when you are bringing your golf clubs!

I once carried on a 7-wood I was given on one of my Scottsdale golfing trips. Funny how they used to let you carry that stuff on the plane! (I think it was in 1994)

That sucks Harry! I miss the days when flying was fun and a true luxury. Now it's just a hassel and they don't even feed you. Hopefully your trip to Florida will be so great that it will make you forget about all the baggage fees.

Telescoping golf clubs... coming soon

He was and a good friend of my family. What he did was take on an industry and succeeded.

I lived in Dallas when SWA was starting. Known as the "Love Airline", it flew from Love Field to Hobby in Houston. Orange Miniskirts and white Go-go boots on the most lovely stable of flight attendants the world has ever seen. My company used to buy $200 coupon books of tickets. You showed up at the airport, presented the coupon, they exchanged it for a cash register receipt which you presented at the gate and boarded. If that flight was full, just relax, there was another in an hour. Herb was sued by every major airline because they had all agreed to move to DFW when it was built, but SW had not been formed then, so they were not a party to the agreement. Fed Courts let him stay at Love and it gave him a huge logistically advantage. At that time, DFW seemed to be way out in the sticks. SW was great fun. Herb was the man.

I've heard of people packing well in advance and UPS or Fedx (ing) their suit cases and an their extra set of clubs to the motel ahead of time. Seem's to me this would cost way more, but at least you know when and if it arrives.

Our last trip to Florida was a joke. They lost our main bag on the way there, which consisted of all our suits and business attire. It was never found. Then my sister passed away while we were there and they tried to charge a hugh fee to fly back early. I blew a cork on them before the gave in. Had to by another suit and all new cloths for the funeral and such, it took like 3 months to get our settlement from them.

I drive. Between getting to the airport 12 hours before your flight, the hassle of going through security, the long lines, being 6'5" and getting wedged into a seat, the cost, etc., it's just doesn't seem worth it.

I will fly if I have to, but I avoid it at all costs. The irony is I love flying.

Southwest is cool for quick commuter flights but would suck across the country.

Yes they do, many times you have to make at least one connection. I hate doing that.

I once carried on a 7-wood I was given on one of my Scottsdale golfing trips. Funny how they used to let you carry that stuff on the plane! (I think it was in 1994)

Now they just let you carry home made bombs on the plane....thanks Netherlands!

I've heard of people packing well in advance and UPS or Fedx (ing) their suit cases and an their extra set of clubs to the motel ahead of time. Seem's to me this would cost way more, but at least you know when and if it arrives.

I've done this before and I found it's cheaper than checking the extra bag or 2....plus I have more faith in USPS (gasp) than any airline right now

My wife and her friend trade visits to Buffalo and Tucson every year. We have found it cheaper and much easier to UPS the spare clothes, etc. rather than try to carry it all to the airport. Of course, it helps that we ship a lot via UPS from my office and they pick u there every day. My wife is handicapped and its difficult for her to carry on luggage, so this is a perfect solution.

My wife and her friend trade visits to Buffalo and Tucson every year. We have found it cheaper and much easier to UPS the spare clothes, etc. rather than try to carry it all to the airport. Of course, it helps that we ship a lot via UPS from my office and they pick u there every day. My wife is handicapped and its difficult for her to carry on luggage, so this is a perfect solution.

Ditto for us, with Fed Ex ground. They pick up right from my office.

When we went to Utah a couple of weeks ago, we opted to rent skis there instead of bringing our own. We got some coupons and online specials. Total cost difference was about $50, and we got brand new equipment to play with.

Air Tran is nice too if you are looking for inexpensive flights. They arent quite as cheap as Southwest, but Air Tran is a little bit nicer.

I drive. Between getting to the airport 12 hours before your flight, the hassle of going through security, the long lines, being 6'5" and getting wedged into a seat, the cost, etc., it's just doesn't seem worth it.

I will fly if I have to, but I avoid it at all costs. The irony is I love flying.

Not me, Id fly every time. Flying isnt much of a hassle IMO, not to mention its much faster and really not any more expensive.
The rest of my family drives everywhere they go, even on cross-country trips and are very much opposed to flying. Not me though, I go to sleep shortly after take off and when I wake up a few hours later Im at my desination. To me, thats a lot nicer than driving for days. I start to lose it after driving for about 4 hours, so flying is what I prefer.

Ditto for us, with Fed Ex ground. They pick up right from my office.

When we went to Utah a couple of weeks ago, we opted to rent skis there instead of bringing our own. We got some coupons and online specials. Total cost difference was about $50, and we got brand new equipment to play with.

Skis are one thing. Would you be able to rent decent lefty women's clubs?

Kevin

Kevin

See, I disagree. I would no more want to use a rental snowboard than a rental set of clubs.

I'm with Def on this. If I have the option, I'll drive. I enjoy driving, and unless I'm in a hurry, or flying outside the country, I'll drive. I can take what I want, even more than I want if that's what I decide to do. I get to see the country I'm passing through, and I know that my luggage will still be with me when I get there. :rolleyes:

See, I disagree. I would no more want to use a rental snowboard than a rental set of clubs.

Me too, I dont snowboard anymore but when I did there was no way I wasnt traveling with my board.

I'm with Def on this. If I have the option, I'll drive. I enjoy driving, and unless I'm in a hurry, or flying outside the country, I'll drive.

I stopped flying into Vegas a few years ago. By the time you deal with security and boarding you only save a half hour to an hour. I like the freedom of driving.

Me too, I dont snowboard anymore but when I did there was no way I wasnt traveling with my board.

My biggest problem is deciding which two to bring.

My biggest problem is deciding which two to bring.

Haha, I would always bring a park board and a powder board but would get too lazy to change out the bindings and stick with the powder board the whole time. I guess that was more luck then anything.

Haha, I would always bring a park board and a powder board but would get too lazy to change out the bindings and stick with the powder board the whole time. I guess that was more luck then anything.

That's why I have binding on all my sticks. (Well, most of them.) I usually wait until the last minute and then check the weather forecast. I almost always brought my powder board (Burton Fish) and then, depending on the weather forecast, either a short park-ish board or an all-mountain board.

Kevin

No--I take my clubs. It was funny in Cancun last year. We got to the Hilton's course just before another couple did, and she wanted to rent women's lefty clubs. All I could think was that if I hadn't brought my own, she'd have been SOL.

That's because you care far more about snowboarding than I care about skiing. Also, I don't like my skis anymore, but I don't think I have enough skiing left in my life to justify buying another pair. Love, love, love the Volke Attivas, though.

My rule is that I drive unless its too far (over 8 hrs) because I don't want to hassle with the airport, like to have my own wheels, and want my own stuff in my vehicle. I have driven around 35 to 40K miles per year for the last 30 years for my job, so I feel as comfortable behind the wheel as I do on my couch. My wife calls my truck my "man purse".

My rule is that I drive unless its too far (over 8 hrs) because I don't want to hassle with the airport, like to have my own wheels, and want my own stuff in my vehicle. I have driven around 35 to 40K miles per year for the last 30 years for my job, so I feel as comfortable behind the wheel as I do on my couch. My wife calls my truck my "man purse".

If I can do it in 10-11 hours, that's a comfortable 1 day drive for me.

Most of the time, a travel day is a lost day anyway, even if you're on a shortish 2 hour flight. Load the car; drive to the airport; park; shuttle to terminal; ticketing and baggage check; security; the trip to the concourse and gate; boarding; flight time; deplaning; trip to baggage claim; wait to get bags and pray that they made the trip with you; shuttle to rental car; drive to lodging; check in; there at last. :rolleyes:

When I drive, it's load up the car, plug in some good tunes and hit the road. I take whatever I want, and when I get there I have my own car to get around in. For me that's an easy choice. Even with today's gas prices, it's a LOT cheaper to drive than it is to fly and rent a car. :dohanim:

I admit that I have the luxury of being retired, so I'm not using vacation time on the road, but the way I figure it, on a 10 hour drive I only lose about 4 hours to someone who's flying to the same destination. For me, the advantages gained make it very much worth the extra travel time. :D

I learned years ago to just FedEx anything I need to my destination in advance. Makes flying much nicer for me.

Forgot to mention - you can send a suitcase this way. Just put the label right on it.

Back