The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I think the whole problem is how squeaky clean Tiger was before all of this. He seemed like the model citizen. Kobe was never like that. People were not as surprised when Kobe did it because it is "more common" in basketball. Plus Tiger is more than golf, everyone knows who he is. Kobe is well known in North America, but I doubt he is a household name outside of the continent the way Tiger is.

Not really the case and the reason I used Kobe. He was as squeaky clean as it got. In fact he got a bad rep for not having "street cred". He was known all over the world for his NBA titles. lets not forget his time in Italy, etc...

set up a scenario in which he was a God to some.

I think that's exactly why he did what he did, as far as his exploits go. From day 1 he had a militaristic upbringing and his father helped form and nurture a god-like persona. His escapades were all about power and control. I honestly don't think it ever crossed his mind that he'd ever be caught. He's never not been the best I couldn't imagine what that may feel like.

I'm sad for golf, sad that major networks might consider not covering tournaments b/c there's no money in it if Tiger's not in the field.

You're exactly right, we've fed an animal that was made, trained and fed by Earl Woods.

I think it is because he got a lot of bad advice (or possibly, no advice since I think he surrounds himself with Yes people who would be gone if they told Tiger something he didn't want to hear). He should have gone public right away, taken his lumps and moved on. If he really thought it would all just go away because of who he is, then he made a major mistake. Like it or not, he was/is a role model who let down a lot of people. That is what most people have the problem with, the deception. And he deceived a lot of people.

I think what Kobe did was far worse. But he was able to buy himself out of his mess without a guilty verdict. You can bet that if Tiger had been able to, he would have too.

Once he comes back though, Tiger will be forgiven by most of the fans. He may not get all of his endorsements back but there will be plenty waiting in the wings. He may not ever make as much off the course as he did before the incident, but he really doesn't need to. He could go away today and be just fine, money-wise, as would his children and many generations on down the line.

Not really the case and the reason I used Kobe. He was as squeaky clean as it got. In fact he got a bad rep for not having "street cred". He was known all over the world for his NBA titles. lets not forget his time in Italy, etc...

haha well that shows how much I know about the NBA. Ignore my last post :shut-mouth:

I think what Kobe did was far worse. But he was able to buy himself out of his mess without a guilty verdict. You can bet that if Tiger had been able to, he would have too.

But there was no guilty verdict for Tiger. His "crimes" were not really crimes. So in that aspect, since Kobe was not convicted, they are exactly the same.

Yet Kobe has been virtually forgiven of this entire thing.

I remember the Kobe thing being pretty huge. News vans invading the city of Eagle, CO. Constant live reports, etc.

But what makes it a little different is that the Kobe story only had 2 sources of information, and neither of them was talking. Tiger had . . . (what number are we up to now) . . . so the story took on a whole 'nother life.

Also, Kobe's wife basically stood by him the whole time. Elin hasn't (yay Elin!)

Finally, when the victim refused to cooperate any more and the DA dismissed the case, that led many people to conclude that Kobe was innocent.

Yet Kobe has been virtually forgiven of this entire thing.

and is now seen as one of the finest, mature athletes in the nba. it's a joke to me. i have no respect for Kobe or Tiger after what they've done. I just don't understand why they had to do what they did? seems like Tiger had a sex addiction, whatever that means? I thought everyone did.

I remember the Kobe thing being pretty huge. News vans invading the city of Eagle, CO. Constant live reports, etc.

But what makes it a little different is that the Kobe story only had 2 sources of information, and neither of them was talking. Tiger had . . . (what number are we up to now) . . . so the story took on a whole 'nother life.

Also, Kobe's wife basically stood by him the whole time. Elin hasn't (yay Elin!)

Finally, when the victim refused to cooperate any more and the DA dismissed the case, that led many people to conclude that Kobe was innocent.

It was huge, but not like this. No where near the level. You are right about the number of sources.

But I dont think anybody at the time thought of him as innocent. After the letter came out with his "apology" and payment. I believe that time and abilities healed wounds.

One thing I cannot put my finger on with this whole thing is the public perception difference between this and Kobe Bryant. Both committed despicable acts and both deserved the outcry from fans, but lets face it, Kobe got most of his fans back and then some. Is considered a hero to many.

Yet, his act is an actual crime as well as cheating. Do you believe his fans will return in time if his play is the same? And furthermore, do you think the Kobe parallel is a fair one?

News of Tiger's actions broke 2 months ago. Kobe's were 7 years ago. I don't think you can compare public perception within those time frames. I think Tiger's fans will return in time.

I don't think you can compare public perception within those time frames.

Why? :confused2:

The situations were/are extremely similar and my post was more about the fact that it shows that fans for the most part return to their "heroes". I look at the 2 situations from the public perception stand point as one and the same regardless of how I personally believe Kobe's actions are far worse.

However as I mentioned above, I believe that golfers for some reason as athletes are held to a higher standard than that of NBA players. But I also believe that it has more to do with the demographics of who and where the fans are.

However as I mentioned above, I believe that golfers for some reason as athletes are held to a higher standard than that of NBA players. But I also believe that it has more to do with the demographics of who and where the fans are.

That's it exactly!

Why? :confused2:

The situations were/are extremely similar and my post was more about the fact that it shows that fans for the most part return to their "heroes". I look at the 2 situations from the public perception stand point as one and the same regardless of how I personally believe Kobe's actions are far worse.

Bear with me because I don't watch basketball or golf for that matter. If I remember correctly, Kobe did better damage control. He played every game even though he was running to CO for pretrial hearings, etc. Tiger has just disappeared after posting a few things on his website. I think that's a big part of it.

I would think that rape (allegedly) is little more serious than consenting "transgressions". I would also imagine that Kobe has acquired a lot of new fans after the fact, who are now older. Tiger will do the same. He may not have many lost fans return, but new fans will jump on his band wagon as time goes by. Some one posted on another forum that Tiger should come back, answer a zillion questions, win a couple of tournaments, and after each win, walk off the course with one or two different women on each arm. Any current fans he has lost, will be replaced by those fans that think that is pretty cool.

Bear with me because I don't watch basketball or golf for that matter. If I remember correctly, Kobe did better damage control. He played every game even though he was running to CO for pretrial hearings, etc. Tiger has just disappeared after posting a few things on his website. I think that's a big part of it.

A different animal though. Tiger never plays any of these events anyway. His part of taking time off was fairly out there since in the end if he returns at Bay Hill as expected, he would likely have missed only 1 event that he normally plays in. So in that respect, no, they did the same thing. Kobe would NOT speak to the press either. Granted that was because he was involved in a rape trial, but he did not speak on the subject.

Because so many basketball players are perceived to have grown up in the 'hood, people just expect that they will bring some of that baggage with them. A lot of people view them as a product of their environment, and that excuses many transgressions. Rightly or wrongly, they have a gold plated "Get Out of Jail Free" card in the eyes of their fans.

Not so with Tiger. He has never been seen as a possible product of gang-banger "culture". Thus he IS held to a higher standard. I don't say that's the right way to view it. I feel that all athletes should be held to the same standard as the rest of the population. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in the real world. :confused2:

Ironically Kobe grew up rather well and had no such problems.

Josh - I've been giving this some thought and have a question. I'm too lazy to look up the demographics on who makes up golf fans vs. basketball fans in the US, but I would think that since Tiger became popular that the demographics of golf fans has shifted - golf became more popular among the masses. Is there that much difference in the socio-economic status of the average golf fan and average basketball fan at this point? Note - I am asking about the average fan.

Josh - I've been giving this some thought and have a question. I'm too lazy to look up the demographics on who makes up golf fans vs. basketball fans in the US, but I would think that since Tiger became popular that the demographics of golf fans has shifted - golf became more popular among the masses. Is there that much difference in the socio-economic status of the average golf fan and average basketball fan at this point? Note - I am asking about the average fan.

Golf is larger towards the masses since Tiger has come along. But the demographics of golf viewing compared to that of NBA viewing is still polar opposites. I cannot comment on fans, but strictly demographics of viewership.

While Tiger has the morals of a basketball player, does he have the skills to make an NBA team?

I thought Kobe did a press conference soon after it all came out with his wife next to him. Then he bought her a huge ring. A lot of people out here still do not like Kobe.

I thought Kobe did a press conference soon after it all came out with his wife next to him. Then he bought her a huge ring. A lot of people out here still do not like Kobe.

he did a press conference shortly after. Not right away and his wife was by his side sporting that door knob on a ring. But I guess my point was that they both cheated. One allegedly via force. Yet Kobe got his fans back within a year and all seemingly has been forgotten inside the basketball media. I believe the same will happen with Tiger.

I don't like Kobe but for a different reason, I find his version of the event very believable. I don't like him because of the whole deal with Shaq, unfortunately my wish for Kobe was destroyed last year when the Lakers won the championship.

he did a press conference shortly after. Not right away and his wife was by his side sporting that door knob on a ring. But I guess my point was that they both cheated. One allegedly via force. Yet Kobe got his fans back within a year and all seemingly has been forgotten inside the basketball media. I believe the same will happen with Tiger.

Im not a basketball fan so I cant say I really liked Kobe before his ordeal, but I sure dont think too much of him now. Didnt he have a huge 60 point game a bit after that won all of the Lakers fans back?
As for Tiger, I still like him even though I always root for him to lose. Im sure most of his fans will come back real quick once he has one of his classic Tiger performances.
The one difference I see is that golf is not a team sport. Most people will forgive someone who helps out their team.

The one difference I see is that golf is not a team sport. Most people will forgive someone who helps out their team.

That is a great point TGM.

As for Tiger, I still like him even though I always root for him to lose. Im sure most of his fans will come back real quick once he has one of his classic Tiger performances.

I don't know, Tiger let a lot of people down who were hoping he was the one shining beacon of hope in an athletic world full of dirtbags.

Back