Landing on the green.. the wrong one.

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Since I have now done this twice in the last two weeks ( and not proud of it) I will ask this question. What should be done if you hit a shot and it lands on the green on a different hole? I can't imagine you are supposed to play it from the green so what is the proper thing to do in this scenario?

Good question. When playing with buddies, I have always just moved the ball off the green "no closer to the hole I was playing" and hit again. I didnt think it was any different than hitting the wrong fairway. That is why I moved the ball so I would not hit off the green. Knowing the golf rules...I am sure there is a penalty in all of this somewhere.

It is a pretty standard rule. Take free relief off the green, no closer to the hole you are actually playing. I don't believe there is a penalty involved at all.

You are on the golf course, and you don't want to destroy the course. I have played courses where this comes up from time to time. I would think in many cases it is more of a design flaw than a player flaw.

It is a pretty standard rule. Take free relief off the green, no closer to the hole you are actually playing. I don't believe there is a penalty involved at all.

You are on the golf course, and you don't want to destroy the course. I have played courses where this comes up from time to time. I would think in many cases it is more of a design flaw than a player flaw.

You have not seen my game lately :banghead:

WR, don't feel bad buddy, your not alone. I've done it plenty myself and it's great for getting heckled from the buds. We move it off no nearer the hole as you discribed. If it's on a T-box we hit from there. (Yep, that happens to us as well. We play a very tight course).

Thank Due, not a matter of being worried but I appreciate the supportive comments. The ole golf game aint what it could be, but then again if it was what fun would that be?

If you want to be technical, you can't just move it off the green away from the hole. You have to determine the closest point off the green from where the ball currently lies that is not nearer the to hole. That may not always be the most favorable spot. Then you measure one clublength and drop the ball.

In a casual round with your buddies, not such a big deal unless they are sticklers for the rules. In a competition, it can make a huge difference and cost you a 2 stroke penalty, or even disqualification, for playing from a wrong place. (see Rule 20-7)

I did this a few times myself :) Today, I'm at the point where I'd like to give this very humbling sport a break :angry:

There is no doubt this sport can frustrate you GC heck it upsets the greatest in the world every weekend ( the networks dont show all the cursing but I am sure it is there). Set yourself little goals to accomplish instad of trying to tackle the beast that is the game of golf as a whole. Each little goal accomplished will get you to your bigger goal of getting a hold of the game.

You have seen me play GC, there are times I get very angry with myself and the game I am playing. I let the anger out ( cause it dos no good to keep it in) then go to the next shot. Onthe whole Ienjoy playing golf and I know in time I will get better. I know you will get better also in time. Just remember to always have fun and not get frustrated too much :D

You frustrated?!?!? Nah....

Maybe I just need new clubs!! :D

There is no doubt this sport can frustrate you GC heck it upsets the greatest in the world every weekend ( the networks dont show all the cursing but I am sure it is there). Set yourself little goals to accomplish instad of trying to tackle the beast that is the game of golf as a whole. Each little goal accomplished will get you to your bigger goal of getting a hold of the game.

You have seen me play GC, there are times I get very angry with myself and the game I am playing. I let the anger out ( cause it dos no good to keep it in) then go to the next shot. Onthe whole Ienjoy playing golf and I know in time I will get better. I know you will get better also in time. Just remember to always have fun and not get frustrated too much :D

gotta share this story today, and how thp made me $100 richer.

my buddy and i both have ars (always right syndrome). today, one of the guys in our foursome hit an errant tee shot and it ended up on the green of an adjacent hole. he drives up, and there was a group had already made it to that green. the group brushed the ball off the green, and the guy in our group played from there.

i told my buddy that this was fine, since the rules of golf dictate that you cannot play a ball from the wrong green (i realize the guy didn't take a proper drop by the rules). he tells me i'm wrong, he saw phil do it at the masters one year. i say maybe he saw phil play a shot off his own green with something other than his putter, but there's no way he did this off another green. he's insistent, and we place a wager. $100 for a pizza and a bottle of wine at a local retailer. i google it, and this thread pops up first. winner winner, pizza and wine dinner!

gotta share this story today, and how thp made me $100 richer.

my buddy and i both have ars (always right syndrome). today, one of the guys in our foursome hit an errant tee shot and it ended up on the green of an adjacent hole. he drives up, and there was a group had already made it to that green. the group brushed the ball off the green, and the guy in our group played from there.

i told my buddy that this was fine, since the rules of golf dictate that you cannot play a ball from the wrong green (i realize the guy didn't take a proper drop by the rules). he tells me i'm wrong, he saw phil do it at the masters one year. i say maybe he saw phil play a shot off his own green with something other than his putter, but there's no way he did this off another green. he's insistent, and we place a wager. $100 for a pizza and a bottle of wine at a local retailer. i google it, and this thread pops up first. winner winner, pizza and wine dinner!
Great story, now use some of that $100 for an Albatross Club Membership

What would you do if the 2 greens are only separated by a small creek about 10 yards and can't easily access the other green?

I had this happen to me and I took a drop, but I tried to get the other guy on the other green to throw my ball to me....he was an older fellow and didn't know how to throw the ball...so he ended up throwing it into the creek. lol!

What would you do if the 2 greens are only separated by a small creek about 10 yards and can't easily access the other green?

I had this happen to me and I took a drop, but I tried to get the other guy on the other green to throw my ball to me....he was an older fellow and didn't know how to throw the ball...so he ended up throwing it into the creek. lol!

If you're following the rules, you have to figure out how to get over to the ball and find your nearest point of relief. In the situation you describe in a casual round, if I could find no way to get over there quickly, I'd just do what you did.

Similar question. I was playing alone one time and no one was on the course. I was completely unfamiliar with it and the score card had no hole layout on it. I thought it was a dogleg right and played it as such and ended up scoring a bogey on a difficult dogleg. Well it turns out it was poorly marked dogleg left, which I didn't realize until I walked past the hole's actual green.

With that being said, what is the technical rule for such a situation? I just replayed the hole since no one was behind me, but I'm just curious.

Similar question. I was playing alone one time and no one was on the course. I was completely unfamiliar with it and the score card had no hole layout on it. I thought it was a dogleg right and played it as such and ended up scoring a bogey on a difficult dogleg. Well it turns out it was poorly marked dogleg left, which I didn't realize until I walked past the hole's actual green.

With that being said, what is the technical rule for such a situation? I just replayed the hole since no one was behind me, but I'm just curious.

Interesting question. Hopefully Fourputt will come along to confirm or correct, but here's my guess:

Obviously, the ball being holed into an incorrect hole does not count as "holed out." Once you hit the ball into the hole and realized your mistake, you would find the nearest point of relief from the position the ball lay in the hole, take relief without penalty and then continue play towards the correct hole. All strokes made would count.

I actually had a situation where my ball ended up on a practice green near green of the hole I was playing. With my chipping be rather shaky at that time, I chose to just putt my ball from the practice green, across the cart path and on the correct green. Probably one of the more strange ways I've managed to save par on a hole.

Wouldn't worry too much, it's often course design. Just be grateful you aren't in the trees/water and run with it :smile:

Then again, I had a slightly more awkward scenario the other day. On the 9th, in front of the clubhouse, I had to pitch over one flagstick (and the whole of the green) to my green... Thankfully, after the taunting had died down, I managed a good pitch to within 6 feet.

ehe6ynyp.jpg

I can't believe he didn't know the rule nor did anyone he was playing with to at least tip him off about it. I guess when you hit the ball the way I do in tournaments and have done this before you know it.

There's a course I play regularly where 9 and 18 run parallel back to the clubhouse. I am ALWAYS on the 9th green on my approach to 18. I pull it left every time. I know this rule well. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my cousin did this one time when we were playing he thought he hit the correct green which made it funny

my cousin did this one time when we were playing he thought he hit the correct green which made it funny

I was playing a new course with a buddy this year and I pushed my drive a little right. Well, at the time it was cart path only so I took a few clubs and my range finder, pinged my yardage and hit it short of the green. I walk back over to the cart where my buddy was waiting for me and he asks "dude did you push it again?" I replied with a "no, I'm just a little short of the green" Well unknown to me I had gone for the wrong green and it was about 70 yards in the wrong direction!! From where I was I never saw the actual green I was playing because it was covered by mounds and way left. Needless to say it wasn't a good start to the round.

Back