It depends if the target is up hill, or down hill, if there are any wind issues, or where the trouble spots might be around the green. Sometimes after factoring in all, or some of these issues, I am no longer between clubs. Now if the only issue is I am just between clubs, I am going with the longer club, and choking down an extra inch or so. Last thing I want to do is change my swing on full shots.

I have a question and it kinda fits here so I will post it in this thread. I am troubled ( maybe the wrong word) by trying to "accurately" determine how far I hit each club. What I have done in the past is go to the range, hit 10-15 balls with each club noting where they landed, then take an average and thus would be my distance measured. For the most part this seems to work but sometimes it can we way off, where I am hiting a club I usually routinely hit 100-110 yards and suddenly it is going 130 or the opposite and everything is short by 10-15 yds on nearly all clubs. These are the things I understand as I am trying to figure this all out

1) Weather plays a factor how far a ball will travel, whether it is cool or
damp or hot or wndy (also the lie of the ball factors in as well)
2) Range balls do not travel as far as "normal balls"
3) My swing is not absolutely consistant every time.

So I ask my friends here at THP. How do you get accurate measurement of how far you hit each club and then further does it hold true or is this variance a factor I need to consider? (the 130yd shot with a club I thought I could hit no further than 110)

The other thing I take into consideration is trajectory. If the pin is in the back, I may take less club and hit it lower so it will run out. If it is on the front, I may take more club and try to hit it very high so it stops instead of runs. This also depends on the trouble around the hole position. It is really hard to do these "what ifs" without standing in the fairway looking at the exact situation. That's the thing about golf, every shot is an individual, standing alone from the others.

I have a question and it kinda fits here so I will post it in this thread. I am troubled ( maybe the wrong word) by trying to "accurately" determine how far I hit each club. What I have done in the past is go to the range, hit 10-15 balls with each club noting where they landed, then take an average and thus would be my distance measured. For the most part this seems to work but sometimes it can we way off, where I am hiting a club I usually routinely hit 100-110 yards and suddenly it is going 130 or the opposite and everything is short by 10-15 yds on nearly all clubs. These are the things I understand as I am trying to figure this all out

1) Weather plays a factor how far a ball will travel, whether it is cool or
damp or hot or wndy (also the lie of the ball factors in as well)
2) Range balls do not travel as far as "normal balls"
3) My swing is not absolutely consistant every time.

So I ask my friends here at THP. How do you get accurate measurement of how far you hit each club and then further does it hold true or is this variance a factor I need to consider? (the 130yd shot with a club I thought I could hit no further than 110)

It's mostly something I've learned from a long time playing. I'm 160 out, I take a club I think is right, hit it, and look at the results. I note how good or bad the contact was, and after a while it's pretty much automatic.

Even the necessary adjustments for wind and elevation come with little thought usually just thinking "Ok... 140 out.... 7I... it's 1 club uphill so 6I... 1½ clubs downwind, back to the 7I and choke down a bit. So I grab the 7I and start my routine. That all takes about 5 seconds. As I've gotten a bit shorter over the last couple of seasons, the adjustments still seem to be built in to my overall shot planning. I used to hit a 7I 150 yards. Now, whether it's the new AP2 irons or just the old body, I've lost about 5-10 yards on each iron. But I never made a point of going out just to determine how it's changed. I just played and in a couple of rounds I knew where I was at. :golf2:

longer club and a 3 quarter swing.

i have a drill i work on at the range. theres a green with a bucket about 110 out which is a PW for me.
i hit PW, 9i, 8i, 7i to the same target getting used to hitting a set distance with different irons.
getting the feel for "not full" shots is good for when the yardage is between clubs or when conditions require different ball flights.

i hit PW, 9i, 8i, 7i to the same target getting used to hitting a set distance with different irons.
getting the feel for "not full" shots is good for when the yardage is between clubs or when conditions require different ball flights.

+1

I read somewhere that it's better to swing easy with a longer club since your chances of making a mistake or missing the target are less than under clubbing and over swinging. Basically, what's the worse that can happen on the two theories... easy+long club=you might miss short if you swing too easy but still on target, hard+short club=you can miss short left or right because you're bringing other swing mechanics into play.

Swinging easy is just more "comfortable" IMHO, and the way to do that is to do a drill like above.

It depends where the trouble is. At the course I usually play you are dead if you go long on most of the holes so I choose my club accordingly. I'll take the shorter club and put a little extra on it. If I hit it good I'll be on the green, if not I will be left with a short chip or if I miss badly, a sand shot.

Back