Kidney stones suck

dynarider

insert witty saying here
Reaction score
Handicap
twits
yea I know, as if anyone who has ever had them would say they are great. Had one about 8-9 years ago that wouldn't pass, ended up having it blasted apart with the sonic deal.

Woke up about 4am today & had the same familar hot knife in the right kidney area. Dealt with the pain for about 3 hrs before my wife took me to the emergency room. They checked everything out & concluded it was a stone, gave me some drugs for the pain & then waited a bit. Here's where it got weird, they wanted a urine sample & as I am using the handheld urinal the stone comes shooting out. The Dr was amazed because even though they get a lot of kidney stone patients they have never had one pass the stone right there in the ER.

Still hurts a bit but the Dr says that's normal as the stone scratches the tube & inflames it. have some percocets to dial down the residual pain & everything seems ok now.

Had one pass when I was in my twenties, never forgot the pain. I remember sweating profusely as I lied in bed paralyzed in pain and not being able to speak out. It seemed like an hour (likely 10 minutes) before it started to subside, guess the stone had passed. Must have been a small one because I don't remember it coming out.

Next time it happened about 15 years ago. Went to the hospital emergency and the doctor gave me Demerol to help me relax and sleep. My wife said I slept for one hour and again pain was diminishing when I awoke. Stone had passed thru again. Doctor told me to watch my salt intake and to see my doctor. I asked him for some more Demoral and he just smiled, what a trip!:blob::banana:

Ouch! I've never had kidney stones, or I passed them before they got to any size that I'd notice. I drink about 80 to 100 ounces of water a day so that may be the reason. From what I read stones don't form in diluted "waste product."

Thats horrible, it made me cringe just reading it. Did you get to keep the Stone Dyna?

Thats horrible, it made me cringe just reading it. Did you get to keep the Stone Dyna?

Nah, they sent it out for an autopsy:D Supposedly they can figure out what it's composed of & attempt to get me to change my diet to eliminate any future ones.

Thing is I knew it was there, actually there is still one more. They found them last year when I had the heart surgery thru a cat scan. Drs have been keeping an eye on them, every few months going in & getting x-rayed & they hadn't moved or grown in size.

Nah, they sent it out for an autopsy:D Supposedly they can figure out what it's composed of & attempt to get me to change my diet to eliminate any future ones.

Thats too bad, you could of made it into jewelry for your wife or something.:D

Would this be a mans equivalent of child birth?

Way to push that baby out of there, G. I have never dealt with it myself, but know several who have. Not fun.

Kevin

Way to push that baby out of there, G. I have never dealt with it myself, but know several who have. Not fun.

Kevin

Hopefully you never have to find out Kevin, and yep I have heard supposedly the pain is compareable to childbirth.

G-Man, it was too tiny to make into jewelry, amazing how something that small can cause so much pain.

I passed one several years ago. They say the pain rivals that of untamed child birth. Ladies, you have my sympathy if so. I asked the doctor what causes K-stones, and he asked me if I drank a lot of the local tap water. I said yes, and he said that was most likely the culprit. Lots of minerals in our water supply out here. He Also said a beer a day would help in the future as a preventive measure of getting anymore. He also said not be surprised should another one show up. So from that day on, I have not drank any tap water, anywhere. Only bottled water. I don't do the beer a day thing, but sometimes I might try to catch up on those missed days. :D

Kidney stones are pretty nasty. Ive known a couple people who had them and they make you pretty miserable.

Re: Kidney stones suck

I passed one a few years ago that took almost a week. They could not do the sonic thing because it was already in the tube. Doc said it wa about 1/4" diameter. They gave me morphine and I needed it. Doc told me there is one about 3/4" in my kidney, but it will probably never come out. I hope not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch! I've never had kidney stones, or I passed them before they got to any size that I'd notice. I drink about 80 to 100 ounces of water a day so that may be the reason. From what I read stones don't form in diluted "waste product."

Yep... this is me too. Drink water as my primary source of liquid. I don't drink coffee (heavy coffee drinkers tend to be especially susceptible to stones) or tea at all, and about 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi's a week. 80 ounces of water a day keeps the plumbing flushed out. :D

Plus occasional beer or wine, but after all, those are nutritional supplements. :laughing:

I passed one a few years ago that took almost a week. They could not do the sonic thing because it was already in the tube. Doc said it wa about 1/4" diameter. They gave me morphine and I needed it. Doc told me there is one about 3/4" in my kidney, but it will probably never come out. I hope not!

They could have done what happened to my 1st one. Shove it back into the kidney. The hospital didn't have a sonic deal, they only one around at the time was mobile unit & it traveled from hospital to hospital. Wasn't scheduled to be back in my area for a week or 2 so they knocked me up & shoved that sucker back up into my kidney & yep there is only one way to do that:bulgy-eyes: It stayed in the kidney until the sonic unit showed up & then it was blasted into tiny little bits which easily passed.

The one I passed this morning was maybe 1/8" but holy hell did it ever cause a lot of pain.

This is me too. I keep very well hydrated.

I've been told that passing a kidney stone is one of most painful things for a man. My old boss told me he passed out from the pain passing a stone a few years ago.

I had a kidney stone a few years back. The worst part was getting it out. There I was, urinating, and then I felt it start to come down the "tube". However, I ran out of urine halfway down. 3 vicodin, 1 1/2 gallons of water, and 1 hour later I finally finished the job. Worst pain ever.

This little ordeal is still kicking my butt. The majority of the pain is gone, still have the queasy stomach, want to vomit, etc. Makes it even worse knowing I have to be at work in 2 hrs & can't sleep right now.

Oh well, hopefully will pass out later on. I can make it happen with the right combination of Percocets & Rum:bulgy-eyes:

Dyna - I feel your pain! Good thing it passed relatively quickly. Anyone who has gone through this can sympathize with you.

Two years ago I had a couple of stones that were very stubborn. It basically took the entire Summer to get rid of them. I went through a Uretherascopy (spelling?), had a stent put in which was in all Summer during golf season, had them "blasted," and finally a cystoscopy to remove the stent and check the bladder etc... Every procedure was as bad as they sound.

My sister has had a problem with kidney stones, and she swears it was worse than giving birth to her two daughters.

Last edited:
Been there, done that and hope never to again. I was on a hunting trip, had a sharp pain, but dismissed it for the hunt. Hurt like thunder all the next day of the hunt, almost brought me to my knees when I had to take a leak. Two days of walking miles and miles each day. Stopped at the emergency room on the way home and they admitted me. My sis was a surgical nurse there and said the doc had no idea how I made it through the hunt with stones like that, lol. He said I was probably passing them out in the field.

My sis loaded me with pain pills that worked, but made me crazy. Hot and flush, even slurring my words, hehe. I never drink water, it's coffee and beer in large quantities for me. :D

I know there were 2 stones & I think the 2nd one is trying to pass. The pain is coming & going, and it's not from any sort of scratches inside the tube from the 1st stone. Will probably end up back in the hospital later tonight or tomorrow morning.

My sister has had a problem with kidney stones, and she swears it was worse than giving birth to her two daughters.

A friend of mine gave birth two weeks after passing her first kidney stone. She said she would bive birth twice before passing another stone.

I can make it happen with the right combination of Percocets & Rum:bulgy-eyes:

They gave me morphine at the hospital and sent me home with hydrocodone. I think I told the nurse I loved her after she gave me the morphine. Ahhhh!

Well that was a miserable hour+, wife wanted me to go the hospital again & just as I was getting ready to agree with her, the pain stopped.

I used the strainer the hospital gave me yesterday & sure enough 2 small stones came out, much smaller than yesterdays. Still amazes me that something so tiny can cause so much pain.

Well that was a miserable hour+, wife wanted me to go the hospital again & just as I was getting ready to agree with her, the pain stopped.

I used the strainer the hospital gave me yesterday & sure enough 2 small stones came out, much smaller than yesterdays. Still amazes me that something so tiny can cause so much pain.
Wow what a day you must have had! The relief from the constant pain must be like a dagger being pulled out of your back. Now for some time to heal and advice from a doctor who can tell you how to prevent it from happening again. Do they analyse the stones or do they know what it is made from?

Wow what a day you must have had! The relief from the constant pain must be like a dagger being pulled out of your back. Now for some time to heal and advice from a doctor who can tell you how to prevent it from happening again. Do they analyse the stones or do they know what it is made from?

Dagger pulled from your back about sums it up, when the attacks happen it feels like a hot knife being thrust into your kidneys.

And they are going to analyze the stone from yesterday to see what it's made of. Then they can offer suggestions on how to prevent future ones from producing.

Dyna, how are you doing today?

Geez, I take a couple of days off and this place just falls apart.

Back