Is a 2010 driver better than 2009?

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
I came back to the game a few years ago. (my last driver was a TM Supersteel) I had never been able to hit a driver well, so I when I got my clubs I also got a used Clevelend XLS "Superloft" driver. Must be 16 degrees or more. But I hit it well. Really well. Not far- but straight and consistant.

Then last year I bought the XL 11 dgree off ebay. And I did well with that one as well- plus I was easily 15 yards longer with the lower loft.

So I thought what the hell and in august I bought the 2009 launcher 10.5. (tried the Monster but I hated the sound soooo much I couldn't take it) Took a couple trips to the range to get the feel right- but the last half of the year I was hitting that one easily 10 yards longer than the XL. And I kept the XL to compare every once in a while, so it wasn't just me getting better- it was really the club.

Now the Cleveland DST is out. Question is- should I even be thinking about it? The 2009 Launcher is clearly a longer and better club than the 2008 XL for me. Is that the norm or is it more likely that there will be little difference between the launchers? Where I live now you really can't test anything- so it would be to buy or not to buy.

Anyone able to compare the two yet? Anyone else find a huge difference between a single year from drivers on other brands?

Cheers

A 2010 driver can be better than a 2009 driver. It can also be worse. It really depends on the player and what works best for them. This year's launcher is a different animal in that they have gone super light. Reduced weight in the shaft and the head, yet still keeping a balance. It could provide more distance based on the theory that you will get more swing speed, however for most amateurs without a repeatable swing, it may not be the case.

The best thing to do is try it out and see what the results are on a monitor.

Some drivers are better than their predecessors, but in my opinion some are worse. And of course some are just different.

Do they have much change in technology or is it more of a change in styling and look? This reminds me of cars, each year they will tweak some thing but every 5 to 6 years or so they will totally revamp the entire thing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Do they have much change in technology or is it more of a change in styling and look? This reminds me of cars, each year they will tweak some thing but every 5 to 6 years or so they will totally revamp the entire thing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

There is definitely change in technology, but that does not mean that one technology is better than another one. In my opinion, it just means they are different.

If you hold off until the Driver Shoot Out article is published I'm sure most of your questions will be answered.

I for one can't wait to see the results!

Yes! I am really looking forward to that. I have Chirstmas money burning a hole in my poket, but I think I cam make till- the 20th right?

So in the mean time go to the store, BUT leave the money behind, and try out the drivers. I have the Cleveland DST but I was only able to hit it maybe once at the range and then the holidays and snow hit. But go hit the drivers you are considering, form some thoughts and opinions, then wait for the shoot out results.

So in the mean time go to the store, BUT leave the money behind, and try out the drivers. I have the Cleveland DST but I was only able to hit it maybe once at the range and then the holidays and snow hit. But go hit the drivers you are considering, form some thoughts and opinions, then wait for the shoot out results.

What did you think of it on the range? Could you really notice the weight?

I cant really give a good opinion just yet. But I did notice how much lighter it was then the R9 460.

Two, I was able to get some range time in today with the DST driver and it was ok. I kept having a problem with craking them way left for some reason. Like a nasty pull hook I guess. And it was really loud when struck dead on. That surprised me a little.

Two, I was able to get some range time in today with the DST driver and it was ok. I kept having a problem with craking them way left for some reason. Like a nasty pull hook I guess. And it was really loud when struck dead on. That surprised me a little.

Hmmmm..... loud and left is not as advertised- especially the loud. What was the loft? Normal flex?

I'll be curious to hear other reactions.

Its funny, we are not seeing that. Did you get the draw version perhaps?

Its funny, we are not seeing that. Did you get the draw version perhaps?

No actually I have the standard version. Id blame it on my swing being really rusty. Thats my first time out on the range in a long time. I was really struggling with the driver so I wouldnt take it too serious. Actually when I got down to my last few balls I hit some really nice shots with the driver.

No actually I have the standard version. Id blame it on my swing being really rusty. Thats my first time out on the range in a long time. I was really struggling with the driver so I wouldnt take it too serious. Actually when I got down to my last few balls I hit some really nice shots with the driver.

When you hit it well, were you still hearing the loud sound? I did not see that (hear that)

I am really interested in the DST too.

JB are you seeing that they are more forgiving or something?

Kevin, if it is just your swing needing to be worked out then maybe that is your problem or maybe you need to look at getting a shaft with more flex for the club?

I think that is how it goes...when you hit it left you want more flex and stiffer when you hit it right?

The forgiveness I found similar to that of the Launcher last year. maybe slightly better. Not what it was for the Monster, but I preferred the DST due to the weighting.

When you hit it well, were you still hearing the loud sound? I did not see that (hear that)

It did seem really loud even when struck well. BUT..it was 47* out and I was at whats probably the worst driving range in the area (its just close to me). So I was hitting really really bad balls and it was cold. Maybe that had something to do with the sound? That was the best day we've had in a long time so I wanted to take advantage of it!

It did seem really loud even when struck well. BUT..it was 47* out and I was at whats probably the worst driving range in the area (its just close to me). So I was hitting really really bad balls and it was cold. Maybe that had something to do with the sound? That was the best day we've had in a long time so I wanted to take advantage of it!

Possibly. Or possibly I am missing something during our testing. I will check it out today at the range.

Possibly. Or possibly I am missing something during our testing. I will check it out today at the range.

This is my first Cleveland driver so maybe that sound is not that loud for one of their drivers. But Id be curious to see what you find out. What kind of balls do they have at your range? Im assuming they are probably decent. This place has balls that look like they were at the bottom of the pond for a couple years. Then add that the ground has been frozen for a while and it wasnt that warm out to the mix. Next time I go out Im going to bring the R9 460 for comparison.

The forgiveness I found similar to that of the Launcher last year. maybe slightly better. Not what it was for the Monster, but I preferred the DST due to the weighting.

More forgiving than the Launcher is good news. I hit that well, but it is trickier to use than the XL was. If the DST turns out to have the forgiveness of the XL and more distance than the Launcher- I am sold.

But the sound..... I really don't want a cannon. Hope it was the weather, frozen balls and an echoing range that was the cause of that.

Back