Is Your Tendency to Under or Over Club?

My distances are all messed up lately. When I think I know how far I hit a certain club it seems I then hit one or two way beyond that distance. The same has worked in reverse, hitting short by 10-15 yards.

I'm no better than the other 90% of amateurs - I under club on approach shots on anything longer than a 7 iron. Not too bad, probably about a half-club or so (5-10 yards) most times, unless I really chunk one.

I hit the correct club for every shot I want to hit. I don't think about hitting the ball a certain distance, I think about hitting a shot. There are several ways to approach every shot and many factors to think about. Once I figure out what shot I want to hit I will pull the club I need for that shot. It won't be over clubbed or under clubbed, it will be the correct club for that shot. Will the ball be hit perfectly and the shot executed perfectly every time? Not by a long shot, but the proper club for the shot I want to hit will be used.

I almost always under club. Part of the reason is that I'm more comfortable using my short-irons, so I'll sacrifice distance for a more accurate shot. Also, I've never had access to any reliable tools to measure yardage (other than sprinkler heads). I picked up a free gps app for my Blackberry and I'm hoping that, coupled with my new hybrids, will help me with the problem.

I almost always under club. Part of the reason is that I'm more comfortable using my short-irons, so I'll sacrifice distance for a more accurate shot. Also, I've never had access to any reliable tools to measure yardage (other than sprinkler heads). I picked up a free gps app for my Blackberry and I'm hoping that, coupled with my new hybrids, will help me with the problem.

I use the one from Golflogix, if this is the one you are using let me know what you think of it.

I'll send you a PM White.

I typically under club but it's getting better as I steadily get rid of a tendency to hit toward the toe. I play old Haig Ultra irons from '66 and while the feel and ball flight is great they do have a tendency to plummet if hit toward the toe. I got them reshafted with Dynamic Gold SL recently and that's been awesome, significantly lighter even though I lengthened them. I don't wear out over the final 5 or 6 holes.

The modern cavity backs made me sloppy and didn't penalize nearly enough for toe hits. Consequently, everything was mediocre, in fact a lazy acceptance of mediocre. Now I've adjusted my setup and swing and the results are much improved. On the range my impact point has moved inwards more than 1/4 inch. Besides, blades feel 1000x better and more satisfying.

Now that I'm making better contact I try to take the shorter club when distance is in doubt, and make an aggressive swing. For whatever reason my worst swings are when I sense I have too much club. Inevitably I almost stop on the shot and it results in a low pull.

Over. My tendency is to take more club, swing easy for more control; but sometimes when I do that, I take a bit too much club, dont grip down quite enough and end up airmailing the green.

Over. I'd like to swing easier and not stretch the limits but sometimes the juices flow and Wham!!! Over the trees and through the woods...

ONE of my weakness (besides bacon) is the 1/2 or 3/4 shot. I usually pull these shots. So, I try to hit the shorter club.

Since I started using gps to find the front of the green I rarely do either on a level approach. I will sometimes misjudge uphill or downhill even with the gps, so I guess I will underclub more often than not on uphill approaches. Also from time to time I will underclub out of the rough by misjudging the lie and not getting a flyer when I think I will get one for sure. If I follow my routine for setup and I swing through full without giving up on the shot or trying to hit it too hard, ether one, then I am usually on. I would almost always rather be short than long unless there is obvious trouble short.

I would almost always rather be short than long unless there is obvious trouble short.

Since I am short more often than not, I try to overclub on purpose. If you're consistently short, you're not giving yourself enough chances to put it in "one more shot" range. Until I am consistently putting it past the pin or even over the green, I'll keep taking one more club. Maybe I should take two more clubs!

Since I am short more often than not, I try to overclub on purpose. If you're consistently short, you're not giving yourself enough chances to put it in "one more shot" range. Until I am consistently putting it past the pin or even over the green, I'll keep taking one more club. Maybe I should take two more clubs!

When I say short I mean on the front edge of the green short of the pin, not short and off the green. I swing hard with full shots so more often than not I am going longer rather than than shorter than I think.

Back