Custom Score Cards

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
I am not much of a stats kind of guy. I keep score, and about the only other stat I might keep is what my first putts are (bogey, par, birdie, what ever) for, on each green. That said today I golfed with a guy today who had made his own score card. I have seen a lot custom score cards, but this one was unique, in that it told a story of how he played each hole.

It appeared to been developed on a data/spread sheet of some sort. It was on an 8X11 sheet of paper, folded into quarters. Left of center on the page were the numbers 1-50, with a space between 25 & 26 for folding purposes. On the right of center side of the page were the numbers 51-100, again with a space between 75 & 76. Each of those numbers corresponded with each stroke, or putt taken. The numbers were in a column about a 1/4" wide, and there was another column about 2" wide next to each number.

As an example hole one is a 380 yard hole. Here's how he scored that hole on his card.

1. 380, D, Fairway
2. 110, PW, Green
3. 12', P, short.
4. 1' P, holed. *

His score card showed (1.) It was 380 yard hole, he used his driver, and landed the ball in the fairway (2.) He had 110 to the green, had a 270 yard drive in the fairway, hit a PW, landing the ball on the green. (3.) Had a 12' putt, used his putter, left it short. (4.) Had a 1' putt, used his putter, holed out. The (*) signified this hole was complete. That he had used 4 strokes to complete hole #1. Hole #2 would start at the #5 on his score sheet. At the end of 18 holes he finished up on the number 83. He had shot an 83 this day.

Not sure I would use anything like this, but it does amaze me of what some folks will think up to help themselves enjoy the game. He gave me a blank copy of his custom card, which can easily be produce, and printed out. Heck why not.:confused2:

Re: Custom Score Cards

I play with a few guys who do spreadsheets during practice rounds. i tried it for awhile but found it was too much hassle.

I general track putts, GIRs, and FIRs.

maybe score. lol.

I purchased (unknowingly) a stat book exactly like this. You write down what you used off the tee, and then your 2nd shot, what club you used, etc. And then there's a space to write down the yardages as well. I don't think I have the time to record all this and still keep up with the pace of my game. I do have a stat book that I use after I play, and its just simple: you you record the par, the yardage and your score and the basic stuff (GIR, FWYs, # putts, sand saves, etc).

I just use a regular scorecard, but in the rows for player's names, I put:

Score
FW
GIR
Putts
SCR

If I hit a fairway, I put a check. But if I miss, I put L or R.
Same for GIR, but add S (short) and LG (long <--- yeah, right.)
For SCR, I put an X if I fail, but S/S or U/D if I make it.

EDIT: Just realized that the SCR row may not be clear to everyone.

SCR = Scramble:
*S/S = Sand Save (out of sand and subsequent 1 putt for par)
*U/D = Up & Down (chip from off green and subsequent 1 putt for par)

Last edited:
I would use something like that Provisional, but would probably only do it if I was playing as a single. Usually when I'm playing with partners we are shooting the bull and have a hard time remembering to write our scores down.lol

I like this idea but I am curious, does writing all this down actually help improve your game? If so how?

I like this idea but I am curious, does writing all this down actually help improve your game? If so how?

I have my own system where I record two pieces of data (optional 3rd) for each shot. This is distance from the pin and club used. The optional piece of data is 'anything funny going on' (like in a bunker, bad lie, behind a tree or something like that).

So a well-played par 4 might read

D,7i-147;28,2

I hit a driver off the tee (yardage from the card), I then hit a 7i from a good lie from 147 yards, and two putt from 28'. That hole played badly might read

D,5i-160-O,SW-22-B;55,4,1

Driver off the tee and my 5i was obstructed in some way (the "O"). I then hit a SW from a bunker ("B") and 3 putted from 55' - not that I would ever do such a thing, of course.

This then gets dumped into a database for whatever kind of analysis that I want to do. This stuff gets recorded on a separate card and takes virtually no time. I freely estimate distances that I can't get conveniently.

I can't say that it has turned my game around, or anything like that. But I find the analysis that I do helpful in understanding my game, figuring out what to work on, equipment selection, etc.

dave

I would use something like that Provisional, but would probably only do it if I was playing as a single. Usually when I'm playing with partners we are shooting the bull and have a hard time remembering to write our scores down.lol

I hate it when that happens!

Only two? You got me beat! hehehe

What's a Scramble? :confused2:

I just use a regular scorecard, but in the rows for player's names, I put:

Score
FW
GIR
Putts
SCR

If I hit a fairway, I put a check. But if I miss, I put L or R.
Same for GIR, but add S (short) and LG (long <--- yeah, right.)
For SCR, I put an X if I fail, but S/S or U/D if I make it.

EDIT: Just realized that the SCR row may not be clear to everyone.

SCR = Scramble:
*S/S = Sand Save (out of sand and subsequent 1 putt for par)
*U/D = Up & Down (chip from off green and subsequent 1 putt for par)

What's a Scramble? :confused2:

GC-

"Scramble" is a statistic used to determine how well a player recovers after missing a Green In Regulation.

The easiest example is a par 3. Let's say you tee off, but miss the green to the left. You did not achieve a GIR, so you have an opportunity for an Up & Down (if you are anywhere except a sand bunker) or a Sand Save (if you are in a bunker). If you get onto the green with your next shot, and then putt into the hole for a par, you got an U/D (or S/S if you were in a bunker.)

GC-

"Scramble" is a statistic used to determine how well a player recovers after missing a Green In Regulation.

The easiest example is a par 3. Let's say you tee off, but miss the green to the left. You did not achieve a GIR, so you have an opportunity for an Up & Down (if you are anywhere except a sand bunker) or a Sand Save (if you are in a bunker). If you get onto the green with your next shot, and then putt into the hole for a par, you got an U/D (or S/S if you were in a bunker.)

It's technically for par, but according to how well you play the game, you can scramble for bogey or double bogey or whatever your normal game is. It's not "officially" a save, but it's a stat everyone can still use. I scramble for bogey a whole lot more than I scramble for par.

I am not much of a stats kind of guy. I keep score, and about the only other stat I might keep is what my first putts are (bogey, par, birdie, what ever) for, on each green. That said today I golfed with a guy today who had made his own score card. I have seen a lot custom score cards, but this one was unique, in that it told a story of how he played each hole.

It appeared to been developed on a data/spread sheet of some sort.

One of my friends does something like this and then updates it after each round. She has an accounting background and loves numbers. No wonder she and Claire got along so well when we played together. Now that I think of it - she got along really well with Ty when we played together too. Sorry - I digress.

I just keep my own stats on my scorecard. I don't do anything with them, but I like to review them after a round.

Personally, when I'm on the golf course, I'm there to play golf. :dohanim: At most, I track putts and score.... and sometimes just the score. That gives me more time to simply enjoy being there. I see myself as a golfer, not as a statistician. :confused2:

I truly can't even conceive of doing all the stuff mentioned or suggested in this thread. Just thinking about it sort of makes my eyes glaze over...:hypnotized: :laughing:

Personally, when I'm on the golf course, I'm there to play golf. :dohanim: At most, I track putts and score.... and sometimes just the score. That gives me more time to simply enjoy being there. I see myself as a golfer, not as a statistician. :confused2:

I truly can't even conceive of doing all the stuff mentioned or suggested in this thread. Just thinking about it sort of makes my eyes glaze over...:hypnotized: :laughing:

Fourputt - My guess is that you already do much of this mentally. I know you haven't golfed as long as my father, but ask him about any of his stats and he knows them even though he doesn't track them on paper. I think many long time golfers are very aware of their game.

It really is a matter of personal style and personal inclination. I really want the ability to analyze my play at some level of detail and would truly miss this ability. Obviously this has no value to you.

There is no right or wrong here - whatever works for you/me.

dave

I like keeping all my stats, but can't always do so. It's tough if your just out with a bunch of buds and having a good time.

It really is a matter of personal style and personal inclination. I really want the ability to analyze my play at some level of detail and would truly miss this ability. Obviously this has no value to you.

There is no right or wrong here - whatever works for you/me.

dave

Dave - I'm curious - does the analysis help? What I'm trying to figure out - does this type of analysis help the more experienced golfer or the less experienced golfer more? I'm not talking about level of play, but time playing when I say less and more experienced.

Dave - I'm curious - does the analysis help? What I'm trying to figure out - does this type of analysis help the more experienced golfer or the less experienced golfer more? I'm not talking about level of play, but time playing when I say less and more experienced.

Diane - it helps on occasion. Here are some examples (based on my own stat recording methodology which is a good bit different than 'the norm').

1) There was a time when I seriously considered adding a gap wedge to my bag. It was easy to go to my stats and look at all the shots where I probably would have used a gap wedge (had I had one). Instead I was hitting a 'small swing' PW. I could tell from the data that I was pretty good with the 3/4 PW so I didn't add a gap wedge. FWIW, I now carry a 'strong loft' gap wedge and no PW, but the same principle applies.

2) I never understood just "why does my index go up 2 strokes every winter". It is 1/2 putting (and 1/2 chipping/pitching). Both are related to playing on sometimes frozen greens, I believe. I just wanted to understand.

3) Most of my 3 putts are from the 30' to 40' range. It isn't like I am less likely to 3 putt from 50' vs. 35', but I run into so many more putts in the shorter range (and am must less likely to 3 putt from 20'ish feet). So my lag putting practice focuses on the 30' to 40' range.

It isn't a really deal, I am a bit of a geek and a 'numbers guy', and those are the major factors in what I do. But it is helpful in some cases such as the ones that I listed.

What is interesting is that I started out just collecting 'error data'. What I would do is that every time I 'didn't par a hole' I would record why that was. For example if I missed a green with a 5i say 10 yards left of the green, hit a chip to 4', and missed the 4' putt (say to the right) I would record

0.5 strokes to the 5i (left)
0.5 strokes putt (right)

After 6 months I didn't seem to be learning anything. So I started recording all my strokes as I listed previoiusly in this thread. It still seems like this should have been revealing, but somehow "what I thought was true" was always the same as the data. I sometimes find my current data collection methodology to be revealing and I don't find that the stuff that I record takes enough time to matter.

dave

Back