How cold is too cold

Maybe It Is Too Cold To Play Golf When ....

Maybe It Is Too Cold To Play Golf When ....

... everyone in your foursome takes to the teeing area.

1) Two tees (minimum)
2) Divot tool

Then all four of you (simultaneously) use your divot tool to try to make a hole in the ground. The first successful golfer then tees up and uses his second tee to mark the hole that was just made. The other 3 golfers then re-use the hole.

That is what we did last Wednesday. Like the Subject: says ....

dave

How about when the the snow is falling horizontally at about 40mph, and the rain that is mixed in with it is freezing, turning to ice on your outer wear. Been there, and played in that stuff. We had only played 14 holes when the other three folks surrendered to the elements. Boy was I happy they were not as stubborn as I was.:D

Last winter I got to the 16th hole and it started snowing, heavily. I hit my putt on a lightly snow covered 17th green and as the ball rolled to the hole it collected snow and kept getting bigger and bigger as it made it's way to the hole.

As long as the ground isnt frozen and/or there isnt a few inches of snow on the ground, its not too cold.

Snow? What's snow :rotfl:

Har har! Lucky you. Teeing off at 8 a.m., 70 degrees with a gentle layer of smog rolling down the fairways. I'm jealous!

last year we played and and one of the par 3's has a pond in front of it. and it was frozen so were the greens. you had to play bounce it off the frozen pond to get it to stay on the green.good times.
thank goodness my buddy has a heated cart.
you know, it's all about the memories.

Snow is that white stuff that falls from the sky, makes everything look so pretty and makes fun stuff like skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling and sledding possible. :wink:

It's too cold to play when the course is closed due to ice and snow.... or if the wind chill is below 30... that's about it. :D

I'd include when it's cold and rainy, but here if it's cold, that usually means it's snowing. Most of our rain comes in the summer in thunderstorms. Then it's not too cold just too electric. :rolleyes:

Har har! Lucky you. Teeing off at 8 a.m., 70 degrees with a gentle layer of smog rolling down the fairways. I'm jealous!

LOL so what if you have to wear a gas mask to play! By the way I love the pic above your signature....Greatest movie of all time!

Snow is that white stuff that falls from the sky, makes everything look so pretty and makes fun stuff like skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling and sledding possible. :wink:

That's what Mamoth is for ;) by the way how about them packers!:confused2:

My rule is that both the actual temp and wind chill have to be at or above freezing. When the ground is frozen, we'll try to get a tee in and if we manage it - we all share the one tee or at least the same hole if we can find it again. Otherwise, we hit off the ground. Some of the holes have temporary tees so we have to hit off the ground anyway.

Why do you have to hit off the ground on a temporary tee?

Why do you have to hit off the ground on a temporary tee?

On holes with elevated tee boxes, the temporary tees are made of something like astro turf because they put them in spots that are usually yucky stuff. You can't put a tee into that surface.

Too wet Diane

Too wet Diane

Not too cold in Georgia but too darn wet today :eek:(

On holes with elevated tee boxes, the temporary tees are made of something like astro turf because they put them in spots that are usually yucky stuff. You can't put a tee into that surface.

Didn't know that. I figured they just moved you off the regular tee boxes and cut the grass short.

Didn't know that. I figured they just moved you off the regular tee boxes and cut the grass short.

They do that on a lot of the holes, but they don't cut the grass any shorter since it's Winter anyway. Most of the holes are easier because they're shorter, but a couple become more difficult because of where they have to play the temporary tees or greens near water or other hazards.

Merged with another thread on this one.

I always battle this at the end of each year...

I think at this point it's more about how much wind there is, and what condition the ground is in.. Ohio can get pretty brutal haha.

Played as low as the 30's. Its not bad if the sun is shining.

Tried to add a poll to this thread before it got merged...how can I do that, or is it something only the original poster can do?

What is this "cold" you people speak of.....?

We are normally in shorts for Christmas and New Year's 'round these here parts....

Not a problem to play in the minus celcius figures over here (mid 20s), if the ground is holding up and the weather is ok!

Played in about an inch of snow last year, that was fun!

Back