Is Your Tendency to Under or Over Club?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My tendency is to over club. I try to be realistic about my distances and realize I won't hit a particular club flush every time.

What is your tendency?

Under. I know how far I'm supposed to hit.

I would say under but usually after the 8th hole I figure out that im coming up short and start over clubbing everything.

I always under club, but since I started playing on the sim this Winter - I'm making better club choices. I hope to carry that new knowledge outside.

I tend to under club a lot but when I an torn between two clubs, then I will over club!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Usually under, but I get surprised sometimes and catch a flyer. My tendency is to stretch a short club rather than try to lay off a longer one.

underclub... but it's rational.

For most of the courses I play at, it's FAR better to be 5 yards short than 5 yards long.

over.....its when my perfect swing seems to magically appear. it seems to know this whenever I decide to take more club

Golf clubs = under club. I think 90% of amateurs overestimate their distance. Me included.

Women = I usually manage to over club. No clue how.

Golf clubs = under club. I think 90% of amateurs overestimate their distance. Me included.

Women = I usually manage to over club. No clue how.
Yes, men do have a tendency to over estimate their distance. I don't know how many times I've found some guy's golf ball 40 yards behind where he thought he drove the golf ball. Or, hearing on approach shots: I mishit it.

Women seem to be more realistic.

Really depends on where the trouble is for me.

Trouble long I'll under club a touch.
Trouble short then I'll take an extra club and make sure I get there.

Re:Is Your Tendency to Under or Over Club?

With every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction! I usually see-saw for the first few holes before getting myself honed in. I usually try to play it shorter than longer because most of the greens I play have a high backside of the green with a steep drop-off after entering the rough.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

To get myself into a round I like to take one extra club and hit 3/4 shots.
Easier to control the distance and flight plus I often hit them cleaner than full shots.

I come up short of the green more often than I am over the green. Although I was over the green more this past year than I have been in previous years, so that's something.

Re: Is Your Tendency to Under or Over Club?

the last few rounds I remember playing....I recall be worried about under clubbing so I compensated. but then as I found my groove at about the 7th hole.....i started finding myself long.

I suppose if I would consistently PLAY GOLF....this wouldn't be an issue.

This another one of those "it depends" questions. It depends on what I'm trying to do with the shot and where the trouble lies. On a typical approach, if the pin is back, I want to be no more than pin high, so if I'm between clubs, my tendency is to under club. If the pin is front, then I don't want to be short of the green if I can help it so my tendency would be to over club slightly. But I also don't want an impossible putt from a higher tier either, so how much I'd over club depends on the green contours. If there is a hazard in front then my best plan to a front pin is to definitely lean toward the long side.

If I'm planning a lay up, then I'll usually under club because I want to lay up, not lay in. I see too many players try to cozy it up too close to the trouble, like that last 5-10 yards is going to make a difference. :rolleyes:

This another one of those "it depends" questions. It depends on what I'm trying to do with the shot and where the trouble lies. On a typical approach, if the pin is back, I want to be no more than pin high, so if I'm between clubs, my tendency is to under club. If the pin is front, then I don't want to be short of the green if I can help it so my tendency would be to over club slightly. But I also don't want an impossible putt from a higher tier either, so how much I'd over club depends on the green contours. If there is a hazard in front then my best plan to a front pin is to definitely lean toward the long side.

If I'm planning a lay up, then I'll usually under club because I want to lay up, not lay in. I see too many players try to cozy it up too close to the trouble, like that last 5-10 yards is going to make a difference. :rolleyes:

Not really Fourputt. Simple question. Do you usually hit it farther or shorter than you intended? Regardless of what you want to do with the shot there's a distance you want it to go. (Or a range you want to land it in). Are you short of that or past that?

I tend to do both. If I thought the reply button would not send me an error message I would explain why......lol:clapp:

Story of my life, I'm short!

Not really Fourputt. Simple question. Do you usually hit it farther or shorter than you intended? Regardless of what you want to do with the shot there's a distance you want it to go. (Or a range you want to land it in). Are you short of that or past that?

I can't say that I've noticed any specific trend. Since I measure most of my approach shots with a laser, I usually have a specific distance in mind. I'd say that I miss long or short of that mark about equally often. I don't keep such stats (not much of a stat tracker in any event), so I can't pin it down any closer than that.

To add to what I said earlier I also have noticed I am always long with my hybrids but usually short with my irons.

Yes, men do have a tendency to over estimate their distance. I don't know how many times I've found some guy's golf ball 40 yards behind where he thought he drove the golf ball. Or, hearing on approach shots: I mishit it.

Women seem to be more realistic.

Sort of along those lines, I love one friend's advice for looking for a lost ball: start with where you think you hit and and walk back. It works.

Sort of along those lines, I love one friend's advice for looking for a lost ball: start with where you think you hit and and walk back. It works.

Now that is funny. When playing with strangers and they lose a ball, I always walk back 25 yards from where they are looking and start forward. I normally find it in the 20 to 15 yard behind them range.:D

Back