Would yoga work just as well? I think we're starting yoga back up again on Wednesday, a lot of fun!! Who knew you could sweat so much just by stretching :confused2:

Pilates is the best. The key to the golf swing is your core muscles. The Stomach, back and upper legs. If you work those muscles you will notice a huge increase in balance and then power. I also lift.

Toomey&Flynn

Yoga....sounds good but I can't even bend down to tie my shoelaces.I have to find a place to sit....:sad: Combination of gut and back problems,however the gut might have caused the back problems:beat-up:

It might count if you threw Ellie over your shoulder and jogged a few miles. :laughing:

Sometimes after she 'does her business' we will run home...that has to count for something.

It's hard for me to see why these two have any following. Ok sorry back to excercise.

You make a couple 'home videos' and the next thing you know you are famous.

Yoga....sounds good but I can't even bend down to tie my shoelaces.I have to find a place to sit....:sad: Combination of gut and back problems,however the gut might have caused the back problems:beat-up:

I agree, I think yoga and pilates are great but they scare me because I can't even touch my toes. I have heard the hot pilates (or whatever it's called where the room is steaming hot to make you sweat more) is supposed to be an amazing workout.

I do a lot of sitting. My chair and/or couch seem to get the most exercise....oh wait does taking the dog for a walk count?

The seated butt press is very important!

I'm on the elliptical every morning. Gym every other day. Right now, though, it's a lot of PT for my shoulder. Plus skiing--hence the need for the PT.

I'm on the elliptical every morning. Gym every other day. Right now, though, it's a lot of PT for my shoulder. Plus skiing--hence the need for the PT.

I love cardio on the elliptical. It's by by far my favorite machine. I prefer to use the Precor ones without the arm handles. My record is 11,000 strides in an hour and 5 minutes, just before I tore my RC. I haven't been able to get up to that level yet, but I'm working on it.

11,000 strides? holy smack! i just took started up the elliptical again after a seriously long hiatus. i am no where near 11,000 but now....that's my goal. lol.

I wish elliptical machines were adjustable, since they reek havoc on my stride. I try to run after a few minutes on one and my form looks very funky. I just stick with the rowing machine and the spin bikes.

11,000 strides? holy smack! i just took started up the elliptical again after a seriously long hiatus. i am no where near 11,000 but now....that's my goal. lol.

Yeah, I haven't gotten back to 60 minutes yet, just up to 45 minutes. I'll do one of two pre-programmed routines: interval, which I set to heights 7 and 15 at resistance levels 2 and 16 alternating every three minutes, or the "mild" escalating one that starts at height level 10 going to up level 15 where I begin with resistance level 3 and work my way up to level 6.

I like the elliptical much more than the treadmill because it's no-impact.

I thought so too, my butt is much flatter from all the sitting :D

I actually do workout at home, I have a rowing machine and weights, jump rope, and a stability ball. I mix up the routine to keep it fresh.

the eliptical that i have has a really big foot pedals. sometimes i adjust my foot placement for a wider stance or put one foot forward and one back? but i have pretty small feet and am fairly short. i have heard from taller guys that the stride is uncomfortable.

i love elliptical. biking/rowing wreak havoc on my back. treadmills are hard on the knees and booooring. getting old sucks.

My kettlebell routines are the only workouts I don't sway from. I have been able to put together a routine to rehab my rotator cuff tear so I have no pain and no surgery. It is the best full body workout I have found to be low inpact on my joints while building strength and endurance.

I lift weights for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week and for cardio I do XC skiing and ice skating.

I love cardio on the elliptical. It's by by far my favorite machine. I prefer to use the Precor ones without the arm handles. My record is 11,000 strides in an hour and 5 minutes, just before I tore my RC. I haven't been able to get up to that level yet, but I'm working on it.

I don't think mine counts strides. I just go until it tells me I've burned 700 calories. I don't quite believe that, but it sounds good.

I thought so too, my butt is much flatter from all the sitting :D

I actually do workout at home, I have a rowing machine and weights, jump rope, and a stability ball. I mix up the routine to keep it fresh.

I know you've said you have no access to a handy gym and need help with motivation. How about a personal trainer every now and then?

Gasman is a huge Pilates fan:D

This may be true but, well I guess there is no defense, nevermind.

As requested by someone.
Spoiler
lazy-dog-walk2.jpg

Just for the heck of it, I did an image search for "Gasman pilates."

Spoiler
trunks.jpg

Spoiler
Okay, okay--so it wasn't the FIRST image that came up.

the eliptical that i have has a really big foot pedals. sometimes i adjust my foot placement for a wider stance or put one foot forward and one back? but i have pretty small feet and am fairly short. i have heard from taller guys that the stride is uncomfortable.

i love elliptical. biking/rowing wreak havoc on my back. treadmills are hard on the knees and booooring. getting old sucks.

I've got a similar eliptical at my place. Got the big pedals for various foot positions.

I plan on hitting it hard this off season, combined with shoveling mass amounts of snow and repetitive car seat lifting/carrying.

Come springtime, I'll be like a caged badger set loose on the course.

Bacon, is the only defense. I'm somewhat distraught that you didn't fire back with that one immediately.:D

That is true MO. My love and defense of bacon surely outweighs the unmanliness me liking pilates.

It has been abnormally cold here in NC this winter. I haven't got to swing a golf club since November and the truth is I'm about to go crazy. Normally we can play year round but I refuse to play when it's below freezing or cold enough that with a cart cover and heater you still cant stay warm. Every day I have been off work since November has been too cold to play. So I haven't done anything for exercise!!! Come on Spring! Maybe next week we get some 40 degree and up weather.

The latest addition to my winter exercise routine has been PT for my shoulder. :angry:

The latest addition to my winter exercise routine has been PT for my shoulder. :angry:

Me too. I've been doing the stretches since late September, two weeks after my RC surgery. The regimen of stretches really hurt at first, but as the inflammation subsided, it got easier. I'm now doing a series of 7 stretches, 5 of which require me to lay down, so I can only do them at home.

Hope your recovery goes as well as mine is going Claire.

Me too. I've been doing the stretches since late September, two weeks after my RC surgery. The regimen of stretches really hurt at first, but as the inflammation subsided, it got easier. I'm now doing a series of 7 stretches, 5 of which require me to lay down, so I can only do them at home.

Hope your recovery goes as well as mine is going Claire.

Thanks. I still have my fingers crossed that it's only an inflamed bursa. There is only so long my system is going to be able to take 800 mg. of ibuprofin every four hours, though.

Back