How Important Are Looks?

Claire's right - I like you Kevin. I'm not sure I want to see you in the cheerleader uniform though.

Not even a blind person wants to see that.

Kevin

How important are looks

How important are looks

I am new to the forum but yes looks do count. Some clubs are just too ugly for me to put in the bag. However, don't forget the old saying...she may be ugly but she sure can cook.

Really? Because I wasn't the one complaining about a "1" on a driver or scratches. :at-wits-end:

I dont think I was complaining. I just said it bugs me. I dont throw my head cover back on after I tee off so I would have to stare at a huge #1 all day. Its a mental thing, people who wear #1 in sports always kind of bug me too.

I've gotten to hit such a narrow range of clubs it's hard to say. Except I don't like a wide sole on my irons. Can't hit 'em.
Those X20's were the only set of irons I ever bought new.I got them right from Callaway.I bought the hype because I had been happy with my X18's.I grew to hate them because of the thick soles.It wasn't a looks thing though.It was the way they interacted with the turf.They did make we realize I liked narrower soles on my irons.I sold them for about what I paid for them so it ended well.

Looks mean quite a bit to me nowadays...

I can't hit a SGI club like I used to, I reallllllllllllly love looking down at my S57's, when I grab one of my Dad's G10's, I get all distracted, and with the offset I hook it something awful.

Similar story with my wedges, I'm also very happy with them.

When it comes to driver, I get distracted by square or triangle shaped ones, they just don't 'look right' to me, and I can't help but to dwell on that.

people who wear #1 in sports always kind of bug me too.

+1 Gas. Not sure why but I always look at the #1's as being anything but....

I think looks are very important. If the club doesn't inspire a feel good type of feeling at address, etc.....regardless of the results you may not be as inclined to hit it well or feel comfortable with it

When I am walking through a golf store and see a bunch of clus on a rack or in a bucket, the look of the club is what might cause me to pick it up an dlook at it any maybe go swing it a couple of times. However if the club does not fit my swing then there is no reason for me to go further. I joke with my buddies about looks of shots and it applies somewhat to tis discussion. I say there is no where on a scorecard for prettiness of shot, if you are 150yds out and you scorch one on the ground and it rolls the whole way to the pin, it is scored the same as if you hit the most beautiful approach shot. The same thing goes for clubs. Ican have the ugliest, wierdest looking club on the course but if I can hit it and hit it well consistantly then I'll keep on using it. That is what is going on presently with my two Niblicks. My golfing pals at first laughed at it, now as I get better with it they are no longer laughing but they are asking me if they can try it. :D

I think looks are very important. If the club doesn't inspire a feel good type of feeling at address, etc.....regardless of the results you may not be as inclined to hit it well or feel comfortable with it

x2 My clubs may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they look great to me. I like the look of the graphics on my driver. I like the thick topline and chunkiness of my irons. I like the high-tech look of my putter. When I like the way my clubs look, I play better with them.

I dont think I was complaining. I just said it bugs me. I dont throw my head cover back on after I tee off so I would have to stare at a huge #1 all day. Its a mental thing, people who wear #1 in sports always kind of bug me too.

At least she didn't say you were whining about it! :D

I think looks are important as well and play a major part in your game :)

Those X20's were the only set of irons I ever bought new.I got them right from Callaway.I bought the hype because I had been happy with my X18's.I grew to hate them because of the thick soles.It wasn't a looks thing though.It was the way they interacted with the turf.They did make we realize I liked narrower soles on my irons.I sold them for about what I paid for them so it ended well.

My X-20s are fine; there are a couple of Nikes I can't hit to save my soul.

My X-20s are fine; there are a couple of Nikes I can't hit to save my soul.

IMO, x-20s are good-looking clubs. I really like the looks of the x-20 tours.

im a guy and most guys are visual... anyways...

i absolutely love the look of any taylormade club... those to me are great looking... i was all set to buy irons... really loving the woods... went to golf galaxy and got in the hitting bay with the demos... shank... hook... push... couldnt hit them at all... thank goodness i didnt buy them on looks alone

I think looks are important, I think if you like the look it helps with your confidence. But I would argue that feel and performance are way more important. I would swing a tree branch if it was legal and lowered my score...

Looks are important, but they arent the most important thing. I personally prefer irons with a thin topline and I prefer round drivers.
IMO, irons with a thick topline and wide sole are so ugly. As much as I loved my set of Mizuno MX-15 irons for how easy they were to hit, they just werent pretty clubs.
I also think that square drivers are ugly. Ive heard they work very well, but man are they ugly!

Looks are important to me. The more I like a club's looks the better I play it.

Until today, I would have disagreed with you. I've never worried about thick toplines, or square drivers, or alignment graphics, etc.

But today I pulled my clubs out of my ClubGlove for the first time since returning from Tejas. Somehow (I'm guessing TSA) the rubber cap on my alignment stick had come off (and it is now MIA) and the stick had somehow (again, I'm guessing TSA) worked its way into my driver headcover. The top of my driver is now all scratched up.

I was horrified. More concerning, I find it completely distracting at address.
Oy vey!

I was hoping a little work with the magic eraser would buff out the scratches, but no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting deep scratches off the top of a driver? The DyMo has a matte finish.

I was hoping a little work with the magic eraser would buff out the scratches, but no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting deep scratches off the top of a driver? The DyMo has a matte finish.

I'd try some type of rubbing compound that you'd use on an car. The Nu Finish Scratch Doctor is the best one I've found. The bad thing is that it is designed for clear coats, so I don't know how it will affect the matte finish.

Back