Insulated Bag Pockets

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
Just a little funny here. The post on the wire brush "rules" reminded me of this. I have been down south golfing for the past couple of weeks, and at every golf course I went to there was a sign stating "no outside food, or beverages allowed beyond this point" or something very similar. Well, at one course the discussion took place between the greeter, and a golfer about this subject. The argument was the golfer had a bag (like most of us) that had an insulated pocket designed for food and beverages. If the golf course allowed the use of such bags, then they were also allowing the use of outside food and beverages on the course. "No" said the greeter. "That the insulated compartment is there for golfer who purchases several items at a time from the golf course and needs a place to keep said items. That, or the pocket was there for storage of the golfer's medicines that might require the insulating qualities of the the pocket". The golfer was then made to empty his insulated pocket of a few candy bars, and cokes before he could continue on to golf. First time I ever saw this done, and was probably only done because the golfer initially brought up the discussion.

After listen to this discussion for a few minutes, I finally asked if both the greeter, and golfer were both lawyers. that we were burning daylight during a twilight round. They both in fact were lawyers. The greeter was a retired lawyer, and the golfer was an ADA in some town in California. He and I shared a cart that day. Along about the 3rd hole, the ADA unzipped a non insulated compartment, and grabbed coke. The candy bars in question had found their way into his pants pocket. :clapp:

Good story

We have signs like that as well all over the courses that we play at. I've noticed that when they have the electric golf carts, people usually have a small lunch bag or mini ice chest and keep that in the basket section in the back of the cart. But I have an insulated pocket on my bag and also have a single drink insulated bag clipped to my golf bag and I keep water in there. We normally just bring out own bottles of water in.

I love it when I encounter a course that doesn't sell beer and doesn't allow outside food or beverages. Get to the 2nd tee box (and the rest of them) and there are plenty of those pretty aluminum cans sitting in the trash.

I'm just waiting for that policy to blow up...

Some of the courses that do that, don't offer water coolers on the course, and of those that do, they're few and far between.

Just wait until someone dies on the course when it's 100°, and there's no water bottle in their belongings because it's against course policy.

I don't disclose that my bag has an insulated pocket (much less, what's in it), and I wouldn't let them search my bag anyhow, it's none of their business, and a personal violation for them to search.

I don't drink alcohol, and I'll be damned if I'll held to paying $5 per bottle of water in strict observance of their policy.

All that interweb tough guy talk aside, I've yet to encounter a course marshall that even mentions me having a bottle of water that I didn't buy there.

Of all the places we've played at around us, there's only one golf course that has water coolers with cups and nice ice cold water at every hole! But you're right, there's tons of beer cans and bottles in the trash!!

I've yet to encounter a course marshall that even mentions me having a bottle of water that I didn't buy there.
I haven't run into either this unless Smalls is marshalling:stickbeat:

if you had a pocket on your golf bag for smuggling contraband across the border I don't see how that would then make it legal for you to smuggle contraband across the border

the rules are the rules, because the course wants to make money

those of us who think it's silly to pay huge $$$ for crummy snacks and beers/soda/water will continue to break the rules

I really don't get why having an insulated compartment in your bag would mean you don't have to follow the rules anymore

that being said, the only time I've ever seen the "no outside food/beverage" policy enforced was when some golfers were loading a crazy large cooler onto their cart. The courses aren't trying to say you can't bring a bottle of water with you to the course.

if you had a pocket on your golf bag for smuggling contraband across the border I don't see how that would then make it legal for you to smuggle contraband across the border

the rules are the rules, because the course wants to make money

those of us who think it's silly to pay huge $$$ for crummy snacks and beers/soda/water will continue to break the rules

I really don't get why having an insulated compartment in your bag would mean you don't have to follow the rules anymore

that being said, the only time I've ever seen the "no outside food/beverage" policy enforced was when some golfers were loading a crazy large cooler onto their cart. The courses aren't trying to say you can't bring a bottle of water with you to the course.

Very well said. I just hate when people do this and then complain about golf courses closing, green fees rising, etc...

I've never been to a course that ever said anything about to me bringing your own water. I also bring one can of Coke for the first few holes.

My course enforces it for alcoholic beverages, but not for anything else. People still get away with sneaking beer on the course, but they will get nailed if caught.

It's no different than if you tried to carry your own beer into a bar (or took your own food into a restaurant)... I seriously doubt that anyone would think it odd if a bar kicked you out for doing that, so why is it so strange that a golf course does? I don't know how it works elsewhere, but here they have to pay more to get a special liquor license to sell adult beverages outside of the bar. Why bother if everyone just brings in their own? :confused2:

Another advantage to the high cost of beer on the course... fewer drunks. :D

My course enforces it for alcoholic beverages, but not for anything else. People still get away with sneaking beer on the course, but they will get nailed if caught.

It's no different than if you tried to carry your own beer into a bar (or took your own food into a restaurant)... I seriously doubt that anyone would think it odd if a bar kicked you out for doing that, so why is it so strange that a golf course does? I don't know how it works elsewhere, but here they have to pay more to get a special liquor license to sell adult beverages outside of the bar. Why bother if everyone just brings in their own? :confused2:

Very well said.

The funny thing is they let guys out on the course with a bunch of beer in a cooler AND send a girl out to talk them into buying more, and let them drive around out there. (And then guess what? Then they have to drive home!)

Back