Cleveland CG7 BP Irons Review

Has anyone compared the CG7 to the VR Full Cavity?

shoot a pm to tha shanks. he recently purchased the full cavity vr's and could probably give you some decent feedback on them.

I have reviewed both on the home page and like both quite a bit. I think the Clevelands look better to me, but that is a personal preference. You really cannot go wrong with either iron, but they do have very different feels.

JB - in your testing what did you find more forgiving? Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

JB - in your testing what did you find more forgiving? Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

oooh. Good question. I am not sure one is more forgiving than the other. THey are both extremely forgiving. Like I said, they have different feels, and completely different looks, but outside of that both offer high and straight which are great for irons. You cannot go wrong with either one in my book. If I had to choose I would pick Clevelands, but that is almost completely on aesthetics and that is purely personal.

Re: Cleveland CG7 BP Irons Review

I don't have my irons yet, but at least I finally have an answer why. I guess Cleveland didn't figure the demand on these clubs to be as high as they are. The dual wedges were severely underestimated and the whole line of clubs were on backorder. To make matters worse, they ran out of midsize grips as well. I just agreed to have them build up the grip with tape and use the standard grip. Hopefully I'll have them in hand next week, but I'm not holding my breath. Most of the threads on here praise Cleveland on their prompt service, but this experience isn't what I expected from such a reputable company.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I have now gotten in a couple of range sessions and 9 holes with my beauties and I can definitely say these things are the real deal. The bp's are much more forgiving than my old set and fly pretty much straight (I'm fighting the tendancy to leave the clubhead open). I am liking the higher ball flight I have gotten with these (which is probably due to more spin with the zip grooves) and shots were sticking whenever I hit the green. I am also amazed on how fitted clubs can downsize the frustrations on the course. I had these clubs extended 1/2 inch and the lie adjusted to 1* upright and I can see I have more consistent impact toward the center of the clubhead rather than the toe. I still have some swing flaws to clear up, but I believe these sticks will have a long, pleasant stay in my bag.

good stuff Dirt, happy swinging!

dirt, i'm just glad you finally got those beauties out. i know it's been a long time coming for you. in about 2-3 months i'd love to see some pics of them after some rounds on them if you don't mind.

dirt, i'm just glad you finally got those beauties out. i know it's been a long time coming for you. in about 2-3 months i'd love to see some pics of them after some rounds on them if you don't mind.

Sure thing. They already have some wear scuffs since the driving range area is kinda sandy. I'm wondering how the finish will wear as well.

I will say that those zip grooves were skinning my e6 balls pretty well.

DG,
In this thread I believe you can see a picture or two of the wear after our review.

DG,
In this thread I believe you can see a picture or two of the wear after our review.

I only saw your unboxing photos in the beginning of the thread and your pictures for and of the magazine about half way through. I didn't see much for wear on either.

You are right, and now I cannot find them. I will do some digging.

Sure thing. They already have some wear scuffs since the driving range area is kinda sandy. I'm wondering how the finish will wear as well.

I will say that those zip grooves were skinning my e6 balls pretty well.[/QUOTE]

i know that when i demo'd a 6 iron it was skinning the balls up pretty good as well, and i was hitting prov's at the demo day. one cool thing was that you could see exactly where you were hitting the ball on the club face. the zip grooves kind of scare me, i can't help but think that they would increase the amount of side spin on the ball.

i know that when i demo'd a 6 iron it was skinning the balls up pretty good as well, and i was hitting prov's at the demo day. one cool thing was that you could see exactly where you were hitting the ball on the club face. the zip grooves kind of scare me, i can't help but think that they would increase the amount of side spin on the ball.

I wondered the same thing but I don't think the grooves cause anything out of the ordinary. I was having trouble rotating my wrists through the other day and kept leaving the clubface open. Sure I saw a little bend out of my ball, but I actually think that the ball flew straighter than my old eye2 knock-offs. It was probably less pronounced of a slice because the ball was flying higher due to the increased backspin of the zip grooves. This is just my hypothesis though.

Anyone try the Tour model BP's? I just messed around with 6 iron at golfsmith and liked it. A lot. Wondering what the thoughts are on them as a full set lol. I'm trying to decide if I should hold off on a good deal for VR full cavities to get some BP's later on down the road. Thanks in advance!

Anyone try the Tour model BP's? I just messed around with 6 iron at golfsmith and liked it. A lot. Wondering what the thoughts are on them as a full set lol. I'm trying to decide if I should hold off on a good deal for VR full cavities to get some BP's later on down the road. Thanks in advance!

I like the tour models quite a bit. For my game, I actually prefer the regular, which is odd, but just like the flight better. It has a smaller overall club head and less offset, which in turn means less forgiving for most amateurs. But depending on your misses, either could be great additions to a bag.

I like the tour models quite a bit. For my game, I actually prefer the regular, which is odd, but just like the flight better. It has a smaller overall club head and less offset, which in turn means less forgiving for most amateurs. But depending on your misses, either could be great additions to a bag.

I have the Tour version and I love them. As JB said, they are less forgiving than the regular BP, with less offset and smaller clubhead. They definitely are more of a players iron than a GI iron. I find them similar to the MX-300, in that they offer both workability and some forgiveness. They are in that middle ground between the blade and the GI irons.

I have been able to work the ball pretty well. If your iron play is pretty good and you are a consistent ball striker, then I would definitely consider them. If not, then the regular version may suit your game better.

As a side note, I am slightly concerned that the stock shaft offering on the Tour version (TT DG R300) is not the best shaft for me. It is significantly heavier than what I had been playing and is designed for a lower ball flight.

I am not quite sure yet, with only a few rounds on them, that I will keep the shafts. I have lost some distance and club-head speed due to the increased weight. I may decide to swap for a lighter shaft with a higher trajectory. But I do love the clubs.

Cleveland does offer other shaft options for customization though.

Fildini

I mostly miss on the heel..Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong though lol. Hopefully a properly fitted club will help with that some.

Did the tours have that stinging feel when you had a mishit? I only got to try the club for a bit and didnt feel anything harsh at all. All shots were very soft, almost silk like. Most likely a lucky day with my swing. My first set was a hand me down Yamaha blade set. I can still feel the sting of the mishits. Don't ever want to have that feeling again :banghead:.

Also, did the reg and tour both feel about the same on solid hits? I didn't get a chance to hit the reg BP's. Before the purchase (maybe a bit before I do) I will definitely try both out.

I appreciate the insight.

I mostly miss on the heel..Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong though lol. Hopefully a properly fitted club will help with that some.

Did the tours have that stinging feel when you had a mishit? I only got to try the club for a bit and didnt feel anything harsh at all. All shots were very soft, almost silk like. Most likely a lucky day with my swing. My first set was a hand me down Yamaha blade set. I can still feel the sting of the mishits. Don't ever want to have that feeling again :banghead:.

Also, did the reg and tour both feel about the same on solid hits? I didn't get a chance to hit the reg BP's. Before the purchase (maybe a bit before I do) I will definitely try both out.

I appreciate the insight.

Both will have similar feeling on mis-hits and pure shots due to construction and similar weighting. Fitting will help your issues quite a bit I believe.

I have the Tour version and I love them. As JB said, they are less forgiving than the regular BP, with less offset and smaller clubhead. They definitely are more of a players iron than a GI iron. I find them similar to the MX-300, in that they offer both workability and some forgiveness. They are in that middle ground between the blade and the GI irons.

I have been able to work the ball pretty well. If your iron play is pretty good and you are a consistent ball striker, then I would definitely consider them. If not, then the regular version may suit your game better.

As a side note, I am slightly concerned that the stock shaft offering on the Tour version (TT DG R300) is not the best shaft for me. It is significantly heavier than what I had been playing and is designed for a lower ball flight.

I am not quite sure yet, with only a few rounds on them, that I will keep the shafts. I have lost some distance and club-head speed due to the increased weight. I may decide to swap for a lighter shaft with a higher trajectory. But I do love the clubs.

Cleveland does offer other shaft options for customization though.

Fildini

I appreciate the insight here as well! My iron play is starting to get back in shape. This is going to be a tough choice. I'm thinking its going to be where I'm at with my game at the time of purchase. But I'm all about lowering my score. You'll have to let know how the it goes with the shafts.

Both will have similar feeling on mis-hits and pure shots due to construction and similar weighting. Fitting will help your issues quite a bit I believe.

That is great to hear about the feel. I will definitely be trying both out. Thanks again for the insight!

That is great to hear about the feel. I will definitely be trying both out. Thanks again for the insight!

Yes, the feedback is good on both good hits and mis-hits, with no pain.

I hit an awesome iron today.

I hit an awesome iron today.

I hit the new Cleveland BP CG7 irons today at Edwin Watts. I hit there 7 iron longer then most on the other irons 6 irons and longer then my current 5 iron. I don't have the money to purchase these but when they drop in price I will defiantly look into these.

I hit the new Cleveland BP CG7 irons today at Edwin Watts. I hit there 7 iron longer then most on the other irons 6 irons and longer then my current 5 iron. I don't have the money to purchase these but when they drop in price I will defiantly look into these.

Merged this with the CG7 BP thread. They are a great set.

I am just going to say. I LOVE MY BP TOURS!!!

I am hitting them beautifully. Already showing some fading, but it looks very nice.

Another question.. Awesome... Are the BP's the exact same iron as the first CG7's released? Both stops tonight (Golfsmith and PGA SS, who did not even have the Reg BP's just tours) said that the original CG7's and BP CG7's are the same irons. I have not been able to hit both side by side yet so really hard for me to make a comparison. Maybe it's the jitters because I'm about to invest a lot in my irons for the first time, I just want to erase any doubts. I mean, looks alone the BP's are the best I've seen. Just not sure if it would be worth the extra $$$ if I'm hitting the same irons. Launch monitors are great but I would love to hear real course experience and comparison with both the BP CG7's and Orig CG7's. I appreciate everyones input.

Back