thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure anyone will get a kick out of this, but driving down a back county road today and came across this old farm house with windmill. I'd seen this before and always thought it was gorgeous, but with the cold fog hanging in the air and snow on the ground I just had to take some pic's.

P1010901.jpg

P1010900.jpg

P1010901.jpg

I'm going to take more tomorrow A.M., but I'd really like to enhance these with my Corel Paint shop pro, but I don't have a clue how to use it. Anyone's tip's would be greatly appreciated.

Nice picts. The old house tells it's own story.......

Great pics. I love seeing pictures like this. I'd prefer pictures of the house being used and well taken care of but sometime pictures like this are so much better.

Sorry I'm no help with the software.

Looks like the farm house needs soem touching up too.... :bulgy-eyes:

I don't know any of the story surrounding this place, guess I could ask one of the landowners down the road. My guess is it's still still in the family and part of their original homestead, otherwise it most likely would have been cleared. I'm going to try and stop this morning and take a few more pictures from some different angles.

I missed a great picture of it last year, didn't have the camera, but the entire field around it was covered in a big yellow sea of Kansas Sunflowers. Almost looked like it was floating.

P1010899.jpg

Great pictures, not sure that I would do anything to enhance or change the picture. In my opinion the picture and the house tells a story a story of all the families that lived there thorough good times and I'm sure some real tough times. It would be good if you could track down the family that lived in the house to add a note at the bottom of the picture. It want be long until the house is gone and will only be a memory at least with the picture it will be preserved, again great job with the photo's.

Thanks guy's! I'll see what I can find out. I can tell you it's in extreme North Central Kansas, almost to the Nebraska border. I don't know anything about old homes, but I doubt this would be older than the 1930's just because it's two story with hugh windows, yet sits in what was, at that time and before, a very secluded spot far from anything substancial. A partner of mine took some pictures over the summer as well and I hope to get some from him.

I would like to enhance a bit, but just focus, lighting and crisp it up a bit. I have some pretty good software, just don't have a clue what to do with it, lol.

here in the country, there are still some pre-Cival War era architecture that can be seen. Very interesting.

Re:Country Setting

Kinda reminds me of places around where I grew up. The quaint and simple life.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Duey - In the last picture, is the house tilted or were you?

It's interesting that you say it's gorgeous. I find it bleak and sad - like a life forgotten. I would frame the house in the shot to emphasize how desolate it is.

Duey - In the last picture, is the house tilted or were you?

It's interesting that you say it's gorgeous. I find it bleak and sad - like a life forgotten. I would frame the house in the shot to emphasize how desolate it is.

Not tilted, that would be me, lol. It was like -2 wind chill and I had no coat on. I leaned against a road sign and snapped that one in a hurry. I wish I had a good camera, I pasted up a shot on an eagle a couple weeks ago with deer in the fore ground.

I think everyone has their own interpretation of beauty. I like old barnwood frames and table, antiques, desolate country ponds with wildflowers. I almost stoped to snap a couple pics of the ice hanging on some evergreens along the road, lol.

Here's one a couple of counties over. I actually had a guy stop to see if I needed help while I was snapping pic's. The people in central USA really care, not a slam on anyone else, they just impress the heck out of me. This was not a warm day and this guy stoped and was going to pull his chaines out to help before I told him I was fine. There must be a thousand old places like this within a 2 county area that is very remote.

P1010931.jpg

P1010933.jpg

P1010912.jpg

I have a bunch of pic's of these, lol, along with several windmills. I don't know why this seem's cool to me, but they do. I counted over 30 deer, 5 pheasants, 10 turkey a number of different hawks and an assortment of small game today with all the snow on the ground.

Wow, check out the snow :D

Wow, check out the snow :D

Yeah and that's South of us 100 miles, lol. Those pic's were over in N.C. Kansas were they got about half what we did. The old church looks pretty good, but I think it's older than the house in the first pic's. Most things built back then were built from the native rock and are still there. Most still in use.

Nice Pics. Having grown up in the mid-west I sometimes miss all the snow and scenery. Walking in the woods and hearing the snow fall is what I really enjoyed...not shoveling the stuff. But I will take the wintery weather of Georgia. Funny how things change; growing up 20 degrees used to not be very cold to me. Last week I was filling up the car and 35 degrees was frigid. Guess the old blood is getting thin.

Having grown up in rural Arkansas, those pictures take me back home. Lots of places like that all over Arkansas. Like you, I wonder about the stories those houses could tell.

My wife and I loved driving through the country and rubbernecking at the scenery. We called those "fixer-uppers".

I drive a tremendous amount and hate the interstate, so county roads for me most of the time. Poor Liz get's a bit worried when she's with me, I'm all over the road watching the landscapes more than the roads.

I'll be adding some pic's to my blog latter today when we get back home. It's a fun way to travel, but takes forever to get home, lol.

Lot's of deer in the fields and sights to see. Poor Liz endured the stop after stop while I took pictures every 10 miles, lol. My blog is updated and I hope you all take time to look. Here's a small sample:

P1020033.jpg

P1020051.jpg

P1020037.jpg

Nice pics..you can find a lot of like scenes in Kansas and Missouri.Wish I had the foresight to bring my camera along.Thanks for sharing.

You bet. We counted 23 deer in one field and 16 I think in the second, (they were running as we tried to stop). We were in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska. This set was almost all from the Nebraska/Kansas boarder again.

You bet. We counted 23 deer in one field and 16 I think in the second, (they were running as we tried to stop). We were in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska. This set was almost all from the Nebraska/Kansas boarder again.
LOL, they aren't used to people shooting their pictures.

Hahaha, this time of year their used to gun's or bow's. Not too far from you is some of the best sight seeing in the USA. I love Truman Reservoir and the area around it.

I hope to retire there!

Great pics duey!

Back