The Official 2009 NFL Thread

I understand why Indy pulled the starters but I really want some team to go undeafted just so I don't have to hear about the Dolphins perfect season anymore!!!!!!!!

Mercury Morris can suck it

Man, do I have a headache!! The sports talk radio here in Indy is going crazy today. And I have had a sick feeling since about the 5 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. At the start of the season if you would have said going into the last game of the year the Colts will be 14-1 and have home field advantage secured for the playoffs, I would be happy. Probably that one loss would have been to the Patriots or Jaguars. But, as it is, the Colts one loss is to the Jets because they pulled their starters in the 3rd qtr? Holy Crap. The Jets should have been put out of their misery yesterday and the Colts could go to Buffalo with a shot at history. This team has showed a tremendous resolve this year with 5 4th qtr comebacks. They didn't want to beat. If it is not about the wins then why push that hard, risking injury and possible being spent for the playoffs? Pride....I'll repeat that. PRIDE

There were several games during the season that the Colts shouldn't have won. And it would have been understandable if in the end Manning and crew were pulled and "saved it" for the playoffs. But they weren't pulled.

I contend that the team's will to win is what makes them great. I think this loss is more deflating than helpful. Only time will tell.

Man, do I have a headache!! The sports talk radio here in Indy is going crazy today. And I have had a sick feeling since about the 5 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. At the start of the season if you would have said going into the last game of the year the Colts will be 14-1 and have home field advantage secured for the playoffs, I would be happy. Probably that one loss would have been to the Patriots or Jaguars. But, as it is, the Colts one loss is to the Jets because they pulled their starters in the 3rd qtr? Holy Crap. The Jets should have been put out of their misery yesterday and the Colts could go to Buffalo with a shot at history. This team has showed a tremendous resolve this year with 5 4th qtr comebacks. They didn't want to beat. If it is not about the wins then why push that hard, risking injury and possible being spent for the playoffs? Pride....I'll repeat that. PRIDE

There were several games during the season that the Colts shouldn't have won. And it would have been understandable if in the end Manning and crew were pulled and "saved it" for the playoffs. But they weren't pulled.

I contend that the team's will to win is what makes them great. I think this loss is more deflating than helpful. Only time will tell.

I agree.

Besides, what if your 2nd string QB, or lineman, or RB or receiver got hurt and what if you needed one of them in the future?

And then add the fact that you're on the brink of going 16-0 with just two more wins and all of the pride and "pump" that goes with that as well as the morale boost and you'd have a team that would feel invincible, not to mention the undying devotion of your fan base.

But after last night, you have a team that's pissed off at it's coach, a fan base that's disappointed and angry and all for what? Some overly cautious mentality about something that maybe, possibly, might happen?

Ridiculous.

What if the Colts were in a neck-and-neck race with another team for the division title? You'd play all of your starters then, right? Aren't they just as likely to get hurt? I mean, if you're THAT close, you're in the playoffs anyway, so why not just settle for a two or three seed? But they don't; they keep fighting because they want the division title.

So what's the difference between that and wanting an undefeated season?

If the Colts came in to last night's game with a 13-1 record and the one seed as well as the division all locked up, then fine, if you want to rest your starters you're not losing anything. Or if (as in a game such as last night's) you were up by three touchdowns with ten minutes to play and you want to give the second team a workout, that's also fine.

But to put Painter in the situation he was given last night - AND pulling most of the rest of the starters out as well, made him, the second team and the coach all look like idiots and the fans are all looking at each other as if they just had all their wallets stolen.

I think it was a dumb move and no matter how many talking heads say otherwise, from a fan's point of view (and I suspect from the view of more than a few players), I thought the whole thing was stupid.

-JP

lol yeah thats what I meant. One and done! On another note while back in Arlington for Christmas I went by the Stadium and words cant describle that place in person. Just WOW! It was late at night so I didnt think anything would be open but I tried one of the glass doors by where we were standing and it was open. Went in to the next glass barrior where you could see that huge TV. We all stood there in awe it was so big. That is one nice place.

It is becoming a tourist attraction and they run tours through there all day long which I will need to do sometime soon, maybe while school is out over the holidays and take my son with me. Everyone I talk to who has been in there is just in awe of the place. One thing you have to give Jerry J credit for is thinking big. Sure wish he could get those draft picks they wasted on Roy Williams back though. Look for them to beat Philly and at least get past the first round for the first time in forever but I don't think they will go past that. I don't think they can beat Minnesota or beat New Orleans again if they get either of those two in a title game. If they get lucky then maybe someone upsets Minnesota or NOLA and if that happens maybe they can get to the SB. Be great if they get there next year when the game will be basically a home game at the new stadium.

It will all be forgiven if the Colts win the Super Bowl. I am not sure it will be forgotten.

It will all be forgiven if the Colts win the Super Bowl.

Well, based on what I've been reading on some Colts forums today, all I can say to that is, "God help Polian, Irsay and Caldwell if they don't!"

-JP

Well, based on what I've been reading on some Colts forums today, all I can say to that is, "God help Polian, Irsay and Caldwell if they don't!"

-JP

:bomb:

82% of those responding to the local poll feel the Team made the wrong decision. If the Colts would have lost to the Patriots or Jacksonville or anybody earlier in the season, this would have been easier, much easier to stomach. It's like pitching a perfect game for 7 2/3 innings and pulling the pitcher to save him for the NLCS! Win the game at hand, then worry about the next game, later.

I feel bad for the players. Not just the stars but, the guys that back them up. I don't see how the Colts can go into the playoffs with any momentum. The Buffalo game means nothing now.

I'm interested in watching Favre play tonight in the cold at Chicago.

Kevin

And again on the 3rd pass too. Does this look far too much like Jeff George or is it just me?

Favre dropped the ball twice. He doesn't like the cold.

Kevin

I'll admit I thought the Broncos were crazy for trading to get Orton, I'm an idiot.

Cutler and the Bears don't look too awful tonight.

Favre doesn't like the cold.

Kevin

Apparently Cutler thinks throwing an INT in crunch time is something to smile about.

Kevin

Favre ties it up. LOL. Did you see the ref help him up after the knockdown on third down. You don't see that every day.

Kevin

And again on the 3rd pass too. Does this look far too much like Jeff George or is it just me?

Bingo. To this day JG had the best arm of any QB I've seen. You just didn't know if anybody on your team was going to catch it.

Haha, I thought it was just the system that Cutler is playing in?

The fact is that Cutler would be far more successful running a short pass West Coast style offense than he is in this Bear's offense that has him throwing every other pass 30 yards down the field. Thanks for ridiculing.

The fact is that Cutler would be far more successful running a short pass West Coast style offense than he is in this Bear's offense that has him throwing every other pass 30 yards down the field. Thanks for ridiculing.

Cutler in a short pass attack like west coast style? He has a cannon and lacks some accuracy. The down the field stuff and deep outs are his best weapons. Last night the 1st drive showed his ability or lack there of to throw the short stuff.

Good God man are we really going there??????
Sure he would, but his claim to fame is his arm strength. The fact is he consistently makes poor decisions, hopefully for him and the Bears he can get it figured out.

Reactions: JB
The Vikings are falling FAST! If they lose this next game they could be on the road as a wild card team. Ha.

The Vikings are falling FAST! If they lose this next game they could be on the road as a wild card team. Ha.

Nope, they've clinched. Worst they can do is a first round home game against a wild card team. If they lose and Philly wins, they drop out of second and lose the bye.

Kevin

The Pro Bowl rosters were announced, and here is the list of Kansas City Chiefs players who made it:

The Pro Bowl rosters were announced, and here is the list of Kansas City Chiefs players who made it:

Can anyone tell me why the Pro Bowl is between the Conference Championship game and the Super Bowl? They complain that the big names never show up, so they put it DURING THE SEASON. And how many of the guys that are going to the Super Bowl that made the team are going to show up? NONE. So who dropped the ball on this one?

Can anyone tell me why the Pro Bowl is between the Conference Championship game and the Super Bowl? They complain that the big names never show up, so they put it DURING THE SEASON. And how many of the guys that are going to the Super Bowl that made the team are going to show up? NONE. So who dropped the ball on this one?
It's being played during the week that players have off between the SB and the Conference title games in the same city as the Super Bowl, which is Miami.

It should garner more interest than the week after the Super Bowl and even though it won't have any of the players from the SB teams, every other player should play in it and they will be in town for the SB anyway.

I don't know if it will work or not, but I like the thought of trying something different. The TV ratings for the Pro Bowl are awful, so I think they are trying to drum up more interest. I know I never watch the Pro Bowl, I might this year.

I believe almost every other "All Star" game out there is played in season, except for the NF. The physicality of the game and better chance for injuries being the obvious reason.

Back