Teeing up with Irons?

dzdncfsd

Reaction score
Handicap
I was curious what the general consesus was in regards to this?

I have a friend who said its always recommended to use a tee but I wasn't sure this was required or just his personal preference?

I'm a new golfer so please forgive my ignorance. I prefer hitting my irons directly off of the ground but wasn't sure if that was frowned up at some courses.

I always tee up on every tee box. With irons I always use a broken tee that I find on the tee box. Even when they keep the tee boxes picked up, you can usually find a couple.

I normally tee up on the box.

On a short hole where I use a PW, I'll use a tee as well! Some people don't use tees when they tee off, they prefer the ground, its just up to your comfort level :)

I use a tee, teed very low almost ground level. Just personal preference.

Always a tee. You are getting the perfect lie, so why wouldn't you tee up?

Always use a tee on the tee box.Game is hard enough,why wouldn't anyone want 18 perfect lies a round is beyond me.

I am going to amend my earlier post. When I'm playing our executive course, I put the ball on the ground on the par threes (12 of them, unless it's wet). I tee it up on the par fours.

I was curious what the general consesus was in regards to this?

I have a friend who said its always recommended to use a tee but I wasn't sure this was required or just his personal preference?

I'm a new golfer so please forgive my ignorance. I prefer hitting my irons directly off of the ground but wasn't sure if that was frowned up at some courses.

Always, always use a tee unless I'm just practicing and feel I want to work on my iron play. A very short one for irons, just so the ball is barely above the grass.

Nicklaus and Trevino have both been quoted as saying to the effect of " Why wouldn't you give yourself a perfect lie when you have the opportunity?" :confused2:

I use very short tees with my irons. The only time I don't use a tee is when the ground is too hard to get one in or on temporary tee boxes in the Winter.

I usually use a tee on par 3's. Certain shots like an easy knock down 9-iron or any sort of wedge I won't use one, but those types of shots on par 3's are few and far between where I play.

It is the only place on the golf course that you can use a tee, you might as well take advantage of it. Even if it is just to get the ball 1mm above the ground.

It is not required and I have known several good golfers who never used them. And if you don't want to use one, that is fine too. No course will frown upon someone not using a tee.

I use a tee on every tee box. When one of the best, Nichlaus, recommeds it who am I to argue. LOL

Nicklaus and Trevino have both been quoted as saying to the effect of " Why wouldn't you give yourself a perfect lie when you have the opportunity?" :confused2:

I've read this too - I think Jack wrote it in "Golf My Way".

I always tee my ball up on a short tee when hitting an iron. I use a cut down ZF tee. Those things last forever.

Hey Bonk,

Do you use a broken ZF or purposefully cut one down to your preferred size? Question: Does this give you an advantage over just using the smaller tee and pushing it lower into the ground? Thanks.

Its personal preference. Some people like to use a tee, some dont. Personally, I always tee the ball up, I simply tee the ball very low when hitting an iron (so that it is just barely off the ground).
Some pros, such as David Duval only tee the ball up if they are hitting driver.

Hey Bonk,

Do you use a broken ZF or purposefully cut one down to your preferred size? Question: Does this give you an advantage over just using the smaller tee and pushing it lower into the ground? Thanks.

I cut down a few of the 2 3/4" ones to about 3/4", at an angle, using a pair of wirecutters. As far as "an advantage", no, but I don't need to buy 50 of the shorter ones too, especially since they last so long.

I can see how that works now. Thanks.

I cut down a few of the 2 3/4" ones to about 3/4", at an angle, using a pair of wirecutters. As far as "an advantage", no, but I don't need to buy 50 of the shorter ones too, especially since they last so long.

I just stick the tee deeper in the ground.

Kevin

If I am on the box I always tee it up. Of course, with an iron I tee it barely above the ground. I usually find a broken head of a tee (less than a quarter inch) for par 3s.

I'm with Nicklaus except on his teeing preference for long irons where he liked to tee it up off the grass a little...for me this promotes scooping and flipping, trying to lift it off the tee...just above the grass and a perfect lie every time...

For the most part, unless it's a driver I hit everything off the grass. I'll usually find a nice fluffy patch of grass on the tee box to keep the ball up off the ground a bit, but that's it.

I've tried using tees like I used to when younger, but haven't had much luck hitting any of my fairways, hybrids, or irons off a tee. I seem to get a better swing without. :confused2:

Wow talk about a great response to a relatively basic question. Hackers Paradise is a winner in my book.

Thanks for all the info. I never really looked at teeing up my irons as giving myself the perfect lie. That makes sense now so I guess I'll continue doing it. For some reason I was thinking I was hurting my game by doing this as I tend to be more consistent off the turf. But I'm not really consistent at all anyways because I'm new and suck. I dont really care though as I just love playing and hopefully after getting some lessons I'll really improve my game.

You've definitely come to the right place :clapp:

For me, I nearly always use a tee, but not all the time. Sometimes playing in the states, the tees have a sort of spongy grass on them that the ball sits right up on top of. If it's like that, then I won't use a tee. Otherwise I do, but like JB said, I'd tee it pretty low, so that the ball is sitting like it would in a perfect lie in the fairway. I don't want to introduce something different from what I'm used to. Just want to give myself the best chance I can.

Not to be totally off the subject, but those Tomahawk tees, are they only for drivers?

Back