Bigborgel

Ugly Golf
Reaction score
Handicap
I had been playing 2006 Big Bertha irons for probably the past 2 years. In early summer, I started having real issues with them, couldn't hit a decent iron to save myself. I mean, chunks, tops, thins, chili dips, you name it. So, based on advice from THP, I went and ebayed myself a set of DX3 Nickent irons, just a cheap used set, to try them out. At first take, the thin soles made the clubs look flimsy and not at all confidence inspiring. But wow, I am hitting some of the best iron shots of my life, with comparable distance. I'm presently on the Bay, looking for a new set of DX4's .

Any of you find the same issue with wide sole irons?

I'm playing Big Bertha '02's and any issues I have with them are due to bad swings, not the wide sole. Could be the Nickents just fit you better.

Funny thing is I was fitted for the BB's, they are 1/2" 0ver and up 2*, the Nickents were right off of Ebay, stock LLL. Go figure!

It's not the club, but the swinger attached to the club. Granted some clubs might be more forgiving, but chunks, tops, thins, and chili dips are all on the golfer and his//her swing issues. Just part of the game of golf. We all go through these poor swinging times. I suspect using a different set of clubs helps only because the golfer is more focused using that different set of clubs, therefore swings better.

I have an older set of very wide sole clubs, and newer set of thinner sole clubs. Both play the same for me. Both can be good and/or bad depending on my swing, grip, and any other number of issues that might be going south on me when those high par plus numbers show up. :D

Back