Forged Question...

imscottr

I Like Show Tunes!
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m sorry if this has been asked before – I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything. (Except comparison between cast and forged.)

I’m looking to purchase some new irons in the spring. I really love the Mizuno MX 200 or MX 300. (Still torn between the two.) I just so happen to browse the used club section at my local golf shop, and noticed some forged irons they had for sale. (Mizuno, Titleist, etc.) Upon inspection, I noticed that all of the irons had some pretty good marks on the sole of the club. Some, more severe than others. Before taking lessons and actually learning to hit the ball, I moved a LOT of earth with my Taylor Made RAC OS irons. It’s hard to say what all I hit when hitting an inch below the ground with those irons. I know they’re cast, but they don’t have any marks like that. I’m no metal expert, but is this normal? Like the metal is soft? I’d hate to spend $800 on irons only to have them looked all hacked up.

Thanks for any input you have!
Scott

Softer metal will always get nicked up a little more and many forged irons use softer metals.

yeah, that's pretty normal

most forged irons will get dinged up over time just by the simple act of clanging around in your bag while walking

Ah, I see. Well, at least I know this going in. I hit all my tee shots off tee's on par 3's. I wonder if that will mark it up too?

Thanks again for input.
-Scott

I have never noticed damage from hitting tees

but some courses have small rocks in the soil, and those can ding up forged irons too

I've played cast irons that still looked brand new 2 years down the road, but forged irons will definetly show much more wear.

I play Ping Eye 2 irons that are over 20 yo and they still look great. Harder metal??

I play forged clubs and I have a couple of old sets that look really beat up from normal wear bouncing around in the bag. It is the downside to softer forged clubs compared to cast. Cast is always harder on the surface.

Ah, I see. Well, at least I know this going in. I hit all my tee shots off tee's on par 3's. I wonder if that will mark it up too?

Thanks again for input.
-Scott

Tees won't have a damaging effect on any irons, forged or cast. I've heard that stated before and it's a myth, pure and simple.

I have forged Titleist AP-2 and they haven't shown any more sign of getting dinged up than any of my previous sets of cast irons. If you hit an embedded stone or pebble, the odds are that it will put a crease in any iron. You just might have been lucky enough to play in places where the soil is fairly free from such obstacles. :D

Would iron club head covers help? Or, should I rather ask does bag chatter influence the playability of a forged club?

Would iron club head covers help? Or, should I rather ask does bag chatter influence the playability of a forged club?

I dont believe it does. No more than that of cast clubs.

I agree. At one time there was nothing except forged, and most players would play the same set for 10 years or more. A few scratches and dings along the sole shouldn't have any effect at all on how the club plays.

I agree. At one time there was nothing except forged, and most players would play the same set for 10 years or more. A few scratches and dings along the sole shouldn't have any effect at all on how the club plays.

So the clubs I saw could have possibly been abused, eh? I mean, a few of the clubs looks like they were hit off of a gravel laden fairway!

Thank you, gentlemen.

I have forged Titleist AP-2 and they haven't shown any more sign of getting dinged up than any of my previous sets of cast irons. If you hit an embedded stone or pebble, the odds are that it will put a crease in any iron. You just might have been lucky enough to play in places where the soil is fairly free from such obstacles. :D
Keep in mind that AP2s are a mixed metal club. Somewhat like the Ping Rapture. Some of the clubhead is cast, some of it is forged. Thats why its not dinging up like most forged clubs do.

I’m sorry if this has been asked before – I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything. (Except comparison between cast and forged.)

I’m looking to purchase some new irons in the spring. I really love the Mizuno MX 200 or MX 300. (Still torn between the two.) I just so happen to browse the used club section at my local golf shop, and noticed some forged irons they had for sale. (Mizuno, Titleist, etc.) Upon inspection, I noticed that all of the irons had some pretty good marks on the sole of the club. Some, more severe than others. Before taking lessons and actually learning to hit the ball, I moved a LOT of earth with my Taylor Made RAC OS irons. It’s hard to say what all I hit when hitting an inch below the ground with those irons. I know they’re cast, but they don’t have any marks like that. I’m no metal expert, but is this normal? Like the metal is soft? I’d hate to spend $800 on irons only to have them looked all hacked up.

Thanks for any input you have!
Scott
If you want irons with a soft feel, you are going to have to accept the fact that before long they are going to look all dinged up.
Its not a result of forgings, its because they are made out of carbon steel, which is a softer metal.
Not sure about your old TMs, but Id bet they are stainless steel, which is a harder metal than carbon steel.

Back