Does this happen to you....?

C

ChristianGolfer

I think I am making the swing too complicated. Instead of having one swing thought, I have too many creep into my dome. My last hole today I just told myself "easy swing" and I got the result I wanted, just a little to the left of target. But for the most part, I think that I am dissecting my swing way too much. I AM NOW EMPTYING MY HEAD OF ALL SWING THOUGHTS!!! Just make a good swing ya big dummy!

Great idea. In the golf swing if you have more than 1 swing thought you have too many going on. Once your setup is where you want it pick out 1 key swing thought and let it go. You can over think a golf swing!

I have the same thing happen to me CG- I have gotten myself so confused by reading too many tips in Golf Digest before, so I've learned to just get a swing and keep it simple.

I have the same thing happen to me CG- I have gotten myself so confused by reading too many tips in Golf Digest before, so I've learned to just get a swing and keep it simple.

Here's the best tip you will ever get & it's free. Stop reading Golf Digest tips, it's ok to read about new clubs & destinations but that's it. i refuse to read any "tips" in any magazines since most of them contradict each other.

Just about anything in excess can cause problems. Swing thoughts are no different. I have two, and only two, that I don't use all the time. One is in my pre-shot routine, and the other is in my back swing to the top. I only use them when I see a problem developing during my play. Most of the time I just walk up, and hit the darn ball with no swing thoughts at all. I use swing thoughts more so when practicing.

I am glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. My problem seems to "magnify" the closer I get to the hole. I am usually completely relaxed at the tee with driver or iron in hand.( doesnt always fly straight but I can usually correct the mistake). Once I reach the 100-120yd distance from the pin my mind goes racing with all sort of thoughts. Of course I either skull it, or chunk it or just slow down my swing so much the shot only goes 40-50yds and then the stress starts all over again(even worse now then before). I know this one problem is keeping me from becoming the golfer I know I am inside and it is starting to drive me nuts!!:banghead::angry: I understand the concept of accelerating though the ball and "trust the club" like one of the guys I play with always tells me, but something in my itty bitty head is keeping me from doing this. I now turn to my friends at THP for help and advice. Can anyone suggest a way to clear my head and just hit the dam shot!! I will be most grateful! :D

I play my best when I'm confident and not overthinking every shot. My entire game goes downhill the second I begin to doubt myself.

I think it probably happens to everyone, whenever im at the range I hit clean, straight, long balls, but as soon as I get on the course I think too much, lose confidence in my ability and it all turns to mush!

Here's the best tip you will ever get & it's free. Stop reading Golf Digest tips, it's ok to read about new clubs & destinations but that's it. i refuse to read any "tips" in any magazines since most of them contradict each other.

Amen!! GD and similar rags has done more to turn the average golfer off to the concept of instruction than any other influence.

I know what you are saying. I took a lesson earlier in the year and the pro related the golf swing to math problems. When you first learned math you start out simple, 1+1, as you get more experience you add more steps. I approached my swing this way and was able to make significant improvements this year.

Last time I played, I found two practice balls on the 18th hole which is across from the driving range. I hit both balls back on the range and guess which two shots were the best of the day. That's it, the two balls I hit back onto the range. They were straight and had good distance. Of course I hit my next shot with the same club and it went right. Man, this golf is a funny game, but I love it.

This has often been my biggest problem. I will have a great round going and then I start thinking to much about what I need to do instead of just playing the game. I definitely need to work on the mental aspect of the game!!!

This has often been my biggest problem. I will have a great round going and then I start thinking to much about what I need to do instead of just playing the game. I definitely need to work on the mental aspect of the game!!!

I am with you there h20jon, as I posted earlier, I know my problem is a mental one because I can and have hit the shot and it was much like you Tander, right after I mess up a shot I would see a range ball and swing at it and it flies perfectly. When I "stop thinking" I play better. :banghead:

Paraphrasing, Bobby Jones said golf was played on the 6" between your ears. Absolutely true for me. I have found that if I can keep my emotions on an even keel, neither high or low, I play better. Also, if I can always be aggressive through my swing. I always tell myself that it is better to be over the green than short in front. Of course, that is not always true, but it does keep me swinging more aggressively.

I also find that I play much better when I walk. I think it is the fact that I can burn off some of my frustrations at a bad shot before I get to the next one. I try to walk at a steady pace which also keeps me more mellow. It I do those things, my game improves rapidly. I also keep telling myself as I walk that it is only one stroke out of many. That one shot was not a round-ruiner.

one swing thought.....SWING HARD JUST IN CASE YOU MAKE CONTACT

one swing thought.....SWING HARD JUST IN CASE YOU MAKE CONTACT

I laugh at that every time I see it. Good thing it's not in your sig anymore! hehe

:confused2: but it's true.....now if I could just occasionally make contact I'd have it made

I usually only have 1 swing thought, but unfortunately it changes about every other stroke! I used to just count to 3....1 at take away, 2 at the top, and 3 at impact, trying to keep them consistent and in sync. I think I got the idea after hearing Vijay say he does it. I started doing it on the range to work on tempo and then it followed me to the course. I think I need to get back to that one and stick with it.

C-Tech - nice input....I like that philosophy. Especially the pace that you walk to your next shot. I've never considered that before, but it's very interesting. Seems like it would help keep in you the groove, at least until you have to stop to wait on the group in front of you to get off the green.

Back