provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
"Bump and Run". What is your description of this shot? I have read two different versions of this shot.

One is the golfer "bumps" the ball with the club face with enough force to allow the ball to "run" to the hole.

The other is the golfer "bumps" the ball into the hillside of an elevated green, that causes the ball the ball to pop up, and then allowed "run" to the pin.

Is it both?

Personally I go with the first description, as in a shot the golfer would use when they don't have to pitch, or otherwise fly the ball on a higher trajectory to carry a hazard.

Where would that leave the "chip" shot? The B&R's little brother? :D

I consider bump & run and chip to be basically the same thing.

I always thought it was bump on the green and run to the hole.

I think a bump and run is always kind of chip, although a chip is not necessarily a bump and run. IMO, a chip flies through the air some before landing and rolling to the hole (although not as far as a pitch shot). A bump and run doesn't have much airtime after impact compared to a chip and rolls a greater distance to the hole than a chip does. Both types might have a couple of bounces before the rolling starts.

Here is a more precise definition:

Bump and Run
By Brent Kelley, About.com Guide

Definition: The "bump and run" is an approach shot to the green usually played from roughly the same distance you might play a pitch shot. A pitch shot, however, is struck with a high-lofted club such as a pitching wedge, producing a high trajectory and a ball that typically hits the green and quickly stops.

A bump and run, on the other hand, is played with a lower-lofted club relative to a wedge (an 8-, 7- or 6-iron, for example), and with very little airtime for the ball. With a bump and run shot, the ball is typically played from the back of the stance, producing a very shallow trajectory, with the ball mostly scooting along the ground and running up to the green.

The bump and run is played more along the ground; the pitch shot is played in the air.

Why would a golfer prefer a bump and run to a pitch? The front of the green might be open, with a hard fairway and hard green, making an approach that lands on the green tough to stop. Or the wind might be howling, with the bump and run making it possible to keep the ball from getting up into - and blown around by - that wind.

Bump and run shots are very common on links courses and on golf courses in dry and/or windy locations, where greens and fairways may be be harder.

I always thought the bumping and running both were done by the golf-ball, so I will go with definition 2 in the original post.

Always thought a bump-and-run was more of a longer range approach shot than a chip. Like from 100 yards out on a windy dried-out links course with hard greens, instead of flying a wedge to the hole, you'd hit a mid-iron, fly it low, and land it short of the green so it bounces on and rolls to the hole.

I had always thought of it as a shot, for me within 25 yards of the pin, where I'm using something like a 6-7 iron. When struck, very little airtime (the bump) and a nice long roll (the run) up towards the hole.

In my opinion both fit the definition in the original post. The idea for both shots is to get the ball on the ground quickly and rolling out to the hole. It is just 2 very different situations looking to play a similar type of controlled shot.

My impression of a bump and run... sometimes just called a bump, was that you pitch the ball from an awkward lie into an upslope just short of the green to take the pace off it when the lie won't allow for any spin. The ball then hops up and onto the green and rolls to the hole. It's a shot that is seen often in the Open on links style courses.

Here is a more precise definition:

Bump and Run
By Brent Kelley, About.com Guide

Definition: The "bump and run" is an approach shot to the green usually played from roughly the same distance you might play a pitch shot. A pitch shot, however, is struck with a high-lofted club such as a pitching wedge, producing a high trajectory and a ball that typically hits the green and quickly stops.

A bump and run, on the other hand, is played with a lower-lofted club relative to a wedge (an 8-, 7- or 6-iron, for example), and with very little airtime for the ball. With a bump and run shot, the ball is typically played from the back of the stance, producing a very shallow trajectory, with the ball mostly scooting along the ground and running up to the green.

The bump and run is played more along the ground; the pitch shot is played in the air.

Why would a golfer prefer a bump and run to a pitch? The front of the green might be open, with a hard fairway and hard green, making an approach that lands on the green tough to stop. Or the wind might be howling, with the bump and run making it possible to keep the ball from getting up into - and blown around by - that wind.

Bump and run shots are very common on links courses and on golf courses in dry and/or windy locations, where greens and fairways may be be harder.

Spot on...

I'll play a b&r from as far out as 80yds in the summer when it's dry...

"Bump and Run" is a recent term.

When I was taught this game, this shot was referred to as either a "Chip and Run" or a "Pitch and Run" (sometimes substituting "roll" for "run"), both of which I believe are more descriptive and more accurate in their meaning than the word "bump".

The "run" part is obvious; that the ball runs or rolls along the ground toward a given target. But the impetus for this could either be a pitch - a ball struck in such a way as to cause it to fly through the air a considerable distance before landing and then "running" the rest of the way; or that the ball was "chipped" - struck in a way as to cause it to momentarily rise from the ground to clear a small obstacle or area (such as the fringe of a green) and then run the rest of the way.

The term "Bump", is really quite meaningless in and of itself as it does not actually describe anything.

The Pitch/Chip and run was one of the first golf shots I learned to play and I believe that for a beginner, it is a far more intuitive and more easily mastered shot than most and offers a variety of ways to get from "Point A to Point B" other than a so-called "standard" golf shot. These shots are great in windy conditions and they taught me about contours and how the ball rolls in a variety of situations.

I still use these shots today and I'm really surprised to see that so many younger players don't seem to know much about them and are instead more focused on trajectories and distances. A "Chip and Run" is an invaluable shot around the green and can be thought of more in terms of a putt than a regular golf shot, while a "Pitch and Run" allows one to think in terms of using the whole of the green for a given shot rather than focusing on flying the ball to some tiny, imaginary circle "drawn" around the hole in one's mind.

-JP

I always thought the bump and run, or the way I use it, is to deloft the club to get no air or just enough to reach the green and roll out. It's like using your irons to putt. I was taught to place the ball on the back toe and address the ball like a chip shot. Weight forward hands in front of the ball and make a putting stroke. A chip shot to me is figuring the ratio of air time to roll with the loft of the club. The bump and run over rides those ratios and gives the ball a short hop and really long roll. For instance say you are one foot in the long grass greenside and about 10 inches of fringe with 20 feet to the stick. You can take a 7i and deloft it, make a putting stroke, hop the weeds and the fringe, hit the green and roll to the pin. Or you can chip. It's just another short game choice in a situation. It's a solid shot but it takes lots of practice. I find it more accurate to be on line to the stick but...it usually, for me, comes out hot and runs way to far. I need to practice. I find that if I take the 5i and deloft it, the ball stays on the ground. You can actually "putt" it say...60 or 70 feet if the fairway in front of the green is mowed close. With practice you can get it real close and maybe even go in sometimes.:D

I would imagine a chip as being a shot which lands on the green. A bump and run is a shot that lands off the green. Generally speaking one where you would use a feature of the golf course to slow the ball down. You'll generally see them on a shot to an elevated green where the bank in front is hit into firmly so that that slows the ball down and it bounces up onto the green and runs down to the hole (at least in theory)

Back