The Official 2009 NFL Thread

BQ is going to be a much better than average QB in the NFL. Once he gets his feet on the ground and they stop playing musical chairs with the position in Cleveland he will have a chance to develop.

Um, I will take that wager. Average at best. He lacks the arm strength for deeper out routes and his release is average at best.

BQ is going to be a much better than average QB in the NFL. Once he gets his feet on the ground and they stop playing musical chairs with the position in Cleveland he will have a chance to develop.

Um, I will take that wager. Average at best. He lacks the arm strength for deeper out routes and his release is average at best.
x2. I don't think he'll amount to much of anything. He should stick to EAS commercials.

Re: Cleveland though...Josh Cribbs is a superstar.

GB should still make the post season despite losing this game. But I thought you guys were known for cheddar cheese, not swiss cheese like that secondary looked today?

Yeah disappointing game for a team w/ the #2 rated D. Hopefully it will be better on Sunday against Seattle. It would really help if our kicker could make a field goal every once in a while!!!!

Still playoff bound and Rodgers is doing a phenomenal job with the offence this year!!

Agreed on Quin. He doesnt seem to be anything other then a average NFL QB. A great or even very good QB would make Cleveland a better team. Quin has done nothing but guide the ship. Whether its sinking or sailing.

Sorry Smalls. :laughing: It's a good thing you didn't come over to watch the game. They didn't even show it here. :angry: 200+ kick return yards, 250+ rushing yards. Why couldn't they put this kind of thing together earlier in the season.

I'm hoping for a win this weekend when we travel (I think we travel) to Oakland. I'm not sure though. That Charlie Frye is one tough QB. :laughing: Hopefully Cleveland can put 41 points up early and run him out of the game like we ran him out of Cleveland. :at-wits-end:

Nope Bogey Oakland travels to cleveland and given the pattern this season of winning a big game and then losing one that they should win I think you guys may have this one.

My roommate is a Browns fan so I see quite a few Browns games and I have to say Brady Quinn is horrible. I'd rather play Derek Anderson, he makes more mistakes but also makes more plays.

On another note: Go Ravens! Playoffs almost here..

Wasn't that interesting, three convenient penalties on the last drive. That illegal contact call was a joke, but Heinz Ward does take good dive.

Of course the fact that Green Bay is the most penalized team in the entire league had nothing to do with it, right?

Ahhh! It's good to be "Off the Shnide". :thumb:

-JP

If a guy is a leader and put in the right situation and has even a speck of ability he can be successful if he has smart coaching and is used properly. Cutler is not doing any better than Grossman did in Chicago - the problem is with the system there not the players. Cleveland has to make a commitment to one QB and go with it or else they will never have any consistency, even if the QB play is poor.

If a guy is a leader and put in the right situation and has even a speck of ability he can be successful if he has smart coaching and is used properly. Cutler is not doing any better than Grossman did in Chicago - the problem is with the system there not the players. Cleveland has to make a commitment to one QB and go with it or else they will never have any consistency, even if the QB play is poor.

Isnt that what they said about Rick Mirer, Casey Weldon, etc? A guy still has to have the arm strength for a deep out and BQ does not have it. The same reason his stock dropped so much after the combine. The same reason Matt Leinart is sitting.

Calling a Redskins win tonight. Giants are DONE!!

Nice pick...hehe

We just heard that Holmgreen took the deal to be Browns President.

An pitiful performance by the Skins so far. Only a matter of time until Zorn is out and Shanahan or Gruden is in.

The Redskins cut Shaun Suisham when he missed the 23 yarder against the Saints that cost them the game, since unlike Dallas, the Skins defense couldn't defend against the big play. And he had only missed 2 kicks before that one, with one being 50+. Folk has been terrible this year. Maybe Dallas should pick up Suisham to replace Folk.

And Suisham is now the new Dallas kicker. Should be interesting for him to come back to Washington next week...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4762803

Yeah, Brady Quinn has been a huge improvement. :confused2::bulgy-eyes:

Yeah, but that's okay because his college isn't really all that known for football, right?

Wow I should have kept my mouth shut...lol. Redskins lay a stinker like that and who wants to bet they come to play against Dallas next week. Hell they will probably sign Folk just for spite. Giants sure looked good tonight. Too bad they wont make the playoffs! hehe

Of course the Giants will make the playoffs Kevin. It is between them and Dallas so the better team will make it, the Giants :D

We just heard that Holmgreen took the deal to be Browns President.

I heard that about 10 last night. I wasn't watching football so it may have been mentioned prior to then. I'm excited about this. Hopefully it won't blow up like other things have. I think I might like to keep Mangini around to see how he does with a GM that won't be afraid to kick him in the pants a time or two if he gets out of line. I figure he's on his way out though.

Yeah, but that's okay because his college isn't really all that known for football, right?

Sure it is. It is just known for overrated football.

Cutler's QB rating for Sundays INT fest? A whopping 7.9!! Yes thats SEVEN POINT NINE! Ouch! I think comparing him to Jeff George might have been a slap in the face to George.

Cutler is just getting the holiday spirit.... after all, it is the season for giving. :laughing:

It isn't the "system" that's throwing the ball to the other team. There is nothing in the Bears system that's telling him to throw the ball to the wrong colored shirts. :rolleyes: Watching Cutler's performance in Chicago almost makes up for the disappointment in the inconsistency that we are seeing in the Broncos play in the last 8 games. :confused2:

Cutler is just getting the holiday spirit.... after all, it is the season for giving. :laughing:

It isn't the "system" that's throwing the ball to the other team. There is nothing in the Bears system that's telling him to throw the ball to the wrong colored shirts. :rolleyes: Watching Cutler's performance in Chicago almost makes up for the disappointment in the inconsistency that we are seeing in the Broncos play in the last 8 games. :confused2:

Quarterbacks are throwing to spots on the field where their receivers are supposed to be - if that receiver is not there at the right spot at the right time then it can be intercepted. I am not saying that those picks are not his fault but a lot of it is because their receivers suck and their schemes are not working. Peyton Manning couldn't fix that mess in Chicago.

Quarterbacks are throwing to spots on the field where their receivers are supposed to be - if that receiver is not there at the right spot at the right time then it can be intercepted. I am not saying that those picks are not his fault but a lot of it is because their receivers suck and their schemes are not working. Peyton Manning couldn't fix that mess in Chicago.

Where did you learn that? That is only 1 out of every four passes? And one type of throw. I played QB and if it was just that easy, than arm strength would be the only thing that every mattered. You must find the right target and the only time you throw to a spot is under a select few patterns.

Vince Young is struggling quite a bit tonight. A pick on a horrible pass and then just fumbled as he was sliding (definitely the right call). But he seems confused by the coverage tonight. Missing throws pretty badly.

Where did you learn that? That is only 1 out of every four passes? And one type of throw. I played QB and if it was just that easy, than arm strength would be the only thing that every mattered. You must find the right target and the only time you throw to a spot is under a select few patterns.

So you don't think those are the passes being picked? I never said that that is the only pass thrown. How many years did you play in the NFL?

So you don't think those are the passes being picked? I never said that that is the only pass thrown. How many years did you play in the NFL?

Here is exactly what you said.

"Quarterbacks are throwing to spots on the field where their receivers are supposed to be - if that receiver is not there at the right spot at the right time then it can be intercepted."

Sorry, but that is just not entirely accurate. Timing passes are used on outs and hooks, but that is about it. Actually timing passes are rarely picked in the NFL. Never played in the NFL, never claimed to. Worked for the NFL for 4 years, but that is another story.

Last edited:
Easy boys, let's not get riled up for small potatoes.

IMO, you just have to find the right QB for your system. I think McD figured this out early and that's why he jettisoned "Pick 6" before the season for, ironically enough, picks. I'm not saying he's a bad QB, he just wasn't the right fit. Example: Joe Montana would have struggled in the Raiders' vertical offense. Now I don't know what system Lovie is running in Chicago but whatever it is it's just not gelling. Square peg, round hole.

What's unfortunate is that with all the talk, I wouldn't be surprised if Lovie was not retained (which gives JC the onus of being the hand that dealt two great coaches' demise) and Jerry going after Shanny (which is a long shot considering Jerry's past hiring practices) or even Kubiak if the Texans let go of him since they run similar offenses that JC was comfortable with.

Back