Odyssey White Ice #1: a Mini Review

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Odyssey White Ice #1 putter at 36.5" and 2º flat. Here is my take on this new putter:

Looks: The White Ice #1 is a nice looking putter. It is modeled after a traditional anser with some modifications. The top line is a bit thicker and the plumber neck hosel sits back toward the heel. There is a score line on the top. The insert is Odyssey's traditional white, but the rest of the putter has a dark nickel finish, which reduces glare. The putter has the traditional Winn Odyssey grip.

Feel: The putter is a bit heavier than normal, but that could be that it is 36.5" long. It has good balance and the grip feels good, but may get a bit slippery on a hot summer day.

Performance: I like the heavier feel of the putter. I don't have to hit the ball as hard and can make a nice, smooth stroke and the ball will make it to the hole. The insert provides good feedback and you know immediately whether or not you hit the sweet spot. The insert feels a bit firmer than the previous ones. You can miss the sweet spot and the ball will still roll fairly accurately with good speed.

Overall: This is an excellent putter. Odyssey continues to maintain their reputation as a builder of good putters, and with a price of $129 it gives you an expensive feeling putter at less than half the cost. If you are looking for a new putter I would suggest you give this one a try at your local golf store.

Great stuff and solid write up.

Nice review. I really like this putter too. Definitely a huge upgrade over the White Hot series. Better weighting, feel, aesthetics, and a way cooler head cover.

Nice review. I really like this putter too. Definitely a huge upgrade over the White Hot series. Better weighting, feel, aesthetics, and a way cooler head cover.
I agree, and thanks for mentioning the head cover. This is a definite improvement.

36.5" and 2* flat? Are you 6'4 or something?

Thanks for the review. My sister is getting me this putter (but i'm not suppose to know) for christmas. Now I have something to look forward to!

solid write up! this putter is on my shortlist and i'm also going the 36.5'' route. how much have you played with this putter (how many rounds)? has it helped improve your putts per round? thanks in advance.

Do you have any pictures? The BF has been looking for a new putter...

solid write up! this putter is on my shortlist and i'm also going the 36.5'' route. how much have you played with this putter (how many rounds)? has it helped improve your putts per round? thanks in advance.
Thanks, T. I've played two rounds with it...we are now under 12+ inches of snow. I'm still getting use to the putter, but I had not three putts. It's easier to get the ball to the hole, if that makes any sense. I find I don't have to strike the ball as hard, therefore my stroke is much smoother.

Thanks, T. I've played two rounds with it...we are now under 12+ inches of snow. I'm still getting use to the putter, but I had not three putts. It's easier to get the ball to the hole, if that makes any sense. I find I don't have to strike the ball as hard, therefore my stroke is much smoother.

I totally understand what you mean. I've spent hours testing different putters in local stores and the feel of this one i really like. It seems as though it requires a shorter backswing, thus taking a lot of room for error out of the stroke for me. I'm still testing others but it's hard to find a better feel than the inserts in the odyssey putters.

I recently got the White Ice #7 and I really like it so far. The insert is definately firmer than the XG insert which isn't a bad thing for me. I have read some things about people thinking the finish looks cheap, but I don't really see that at all. The finish looks the same as the Black Series i to me. Great putters!

Back