The Official 2009 NFL Thread

He hasn't done anything off the field that I can recall but I still think it's hilarious that he messed up his name change! :D

That would be awesome to watch. Personally I like Ocho, I can't remember any off the field incidents involving him. Sure he's mouthy and likes attention but he's having fun and doesn't get in legal trouble.

Your point about his off-field behavior is well-taken. However, I think his on-field antics are degrading to the game. I had the opportunity to catch some highlights of local high school football playoff games. Now even these kids are doing the antics after a TD or Int.

The only problem I have with him is that he is another Terrel Owens.... because he has talent he thinks he's bigger than the game so he doesn't have to follow the rules. That pretty much takes anyone down a notch in my book. :confused2:

The only problem I have with him is that he is another Terrel Owens.... because he has talent he thinks he's bigger than the game so he doesn't have to follow the rules. That pretty much takes anyone down a notch in my book. :confused2:

I agree to an extent. However Chad wants to win. At any level, he wants to win. TO does not care about that and has done it with every team he has been on.

Mark me down as another who thinks Ocho is funny. He's doing parodies of other players' celebrations, and I'm convinced he's doing it on purpose. You can't put on a poncho and sombrero unless you're making fun on a couple of levels. He's even poking fun at himself. By no means is he TO. He's too smart and too lighthearted.

I also heard he's a great neighbor from someone who knows someone who knows him, but it wasn't from an old timer that played with Arnie.

Kevin

Why does everyone keep calling him Ocho? :D

Your point about his off-field behavior is well-taken. However, I think his on-field antics are degrading to the game. I had the opportunity to catch some highlights of local high school football playoff games. Now even these kids are doing the antics after a TD or Int.

I'm not sure about the degrading part, it is just a game, no matter how serious we as fans take it.

As for the high school comments, at least in MO the officials don't allow for much celebration at all before tossing a flag.

I can't figure out why Johnsons antics don't bother me but other players celebrations do. As a Cowboys fan I would still love to see a D-back knock the piss out of Roy Williams that one time a game he catches a pass for a first down and gets up to proclaim it to the world.:D

Being a Cincinnati born and bred Guy who's lived thru the misery that IS the Bengals, I think Chad Johnson is an embarrassment. I'm old school, act like you've been there before. I also don't even compare him to TO, he's not that fricken good. Wants to win? Sure they ALL do, but Chad is more interested in making himself the center of attention whether they win or not and he's proven that year in and year out. Mike Brown is a fricken idiot, period. His Dad is spinning in the grave and will NEVER RIP as long as MB is in charge of the Bengals. Football Man, my a$$!!! I'll be happier than a pig in sh*t when the likes of Johnson is out of here and I think if Marvin had his way he wouldn't still be around, but his hands are tied by MB and now Marvin is no longer so comfortable in his position and realizes what an idiot MB is.

-Life Long Bengals fan

No surprise here, but the Chiefs-Browns game at Arrowhead is not going to be shown here. First time since 1990 the Chiefs have not sold out.

No surprise here, but the Chiefs-Browns game at Arrowhead is not going to be shown here. First time since 1990 the Chiefs have not sold out.

Did you really want to watch it? :laughing: You can come to my place, we can throw back a couple cold ones, watch the game, talk golf, and maybe hit the indoor range. Just make sure you have snow tires on your car. We're looking at 1-4 inches between tomorrow and Sunday.

Perhaps this has already been talked about in this thread but a little history if you will. We were talking last night about the connection of the Saints', and Colts' on going perfect seasons. It's Peyton Manning's dad Archie who QB'd the Saints for 10 years, with out a winning record. I don't think Archie had a winning record anywhere he played at the pro level.

His number is 85, he "officially" changed his last name to OchoCinco (85) when the NFL would not let him put that on his jersey.

I was actually poking fun of the fact that all along he wanted to change his name to Ocho Cinco, but messed up on the form and actually changed his name to Ochocinco instead!

The good news for Johnson: the NFL will let him wear his new name on his jersey this year. The bad news? Because of some careless form-filling, it won't appear quite as he'd like.

You see, it seems when Johnson legally changed his name last August, he wrote it out on the name-change form as "Ochocinco", instead of "Ocho Cinco". So instead of a cool, two-word nickname, the NFL says he's stuck with the one-word handle, which is doomed to be repeatedly mispronounced by Dick Stockton as "Awk-hotchin-ko".
http://deadspin.com/5257380/nfl-recognizes-chad-johnsons-name-change-with-unsurprising-annoying-bureaucratic-twist

21--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg
versus
johnsonc6--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Did you really want to watch it? :laughing: You can come to my place, we can throw back a couple cold ones, watch the game, talk golf, and maybe hit the indoor range. Just make sure you have snow tires on your car. We're looking at 1-4 inches between tomorrow and Sunday.

I'll be good. New Yokie tires and 4WD. I'll bring my BD's gift cards too! :clapp:

I'll be good. New Yokie tires and 4WD. I'll bring my BD's gift cards too! :clapp:

Sounds like a plan. We'll take them up on the all you can eat and we can watch the game as we stuff our selves on stir fried goodness.

Perhaps this has already been talked about in this thread but a little history if you will. We were talking last night about the connection of the Saints', and Colts' on going perfect seasons. It's Peyton Manning's dad Archie who QB'd the Saints for 10 years, with out a winning record. I don't think Archie had a winning record anywhere he played at the pro level.

Archie Manning was one of the top QBs of all time in my opinion, top 10 for sure. If he had played for the Steelers in the 70s, the 49ers in the 80s or the Cowboys in the 90s I have no doubt he would have 3 or 4 Super Bowl rings to show for it.

Reactions: JB
Archie Manning was one of the top QBs of all time in my opinion, top 10 for sure. If he had played for the Steelers in the 70s, the 49ers in the 80s or the Cowboys in the 90s I have no doubt he would have 3 or 4 Super Bowl rings to show for it.

He had the bad luck to play before the NFL's version of free agency came into being. In his day, a player was mostly stuck where he was unless he was traded. The rights were all with the team and none with the player. He was loudly touted as one of the best QB's in the league, but he never had a chance to play for a quality team. :banghead:

But the good news at least is that it isn't a "talent" issue.

Disharmony and infighting happens with every team and when coupled with losing, that makes things seem worse than they really are. I mean, if they were losing like Tampa, THEN I'd be worried because Tampa just plain sucks. The Steelers are still basically the same team they were ten months ago, so it's really more a question of just working through whatever's going on right now.

-JP

But Tampa is young and rebuilding. They Have said so all year. The Steelers won the freaking Super Bowl last year. This is the QB that you said on multiple occasions is BETTER than Peyton Manning and Dan Marino.

Whats going on right now is a QB that holds the ball far too long and pissed off his own teammates. With time he can dissect a D like most can in the NFL, with an average line, he is nothing more than an average QB because he has a slow release.

These are as you put it the same players and same team. They lost to KC, Oakland, and Cleveland. 3 of the worst teams in the NFL. These are the same Browns that had the same record as Tampa heading into that game with your Steelers. The same Browns that sacked your man friend what seemed like 3 dozen times.

But Tampa is young and rebuilding. They Have said so all year. The Steelers won the freaking Super Bowl last year. This is the QB that you said on multiple occasions is BETTER than Peyton Manning and Dan Marino.

Whats going on right now is a QB that holds the ball far too long and pissed off his own teammates. With time he can dissect a D like most can in the NFL, with an average line, he is nothing more than an average QB because he has a slow release.

These are as you put it the same players and same team. They lost to KC, Oakland, and Cleveland. 3 of the worst teams in the NFL. These are the same Browns that had the same record as Tampa heading into that game with your Steelers. The same Browns that sacked your man friend what seemed like 3 dozen times.

After reading this post, I went back and read 20 pages. JB, I am with you and the other dozen people. This guy is off his rocker. So far the tally is, that Ben is better than Manning and Marino. And that Trent Dilfer as good as Peyton Manning too. He is clearly on meth or something similar to have these wonderful but somewhat scary dreams.

After reading this post, I went back and read 20 pages. JB, I am with you and the other dozen people. This guy is off his rocker. So far the tally is, that Ben is better than Manning and Marino. And that Trent Dilfer as good as Peyton Manning too. He is clearly on meth or something similar to have these wonderful but somewhat scary dreams.

Its not worth it.

I hope the Packers chime Big Ben's clock early and often in tomorrow's game.

Kevin

He had the bad luck to play before the NFL's version of free agency came into being. In his day, a player was mostly stuck where he was unless he was traded. The rights were all with the team and none with the player. He was loudly touted as one of the best QB's in the league, but he never had a chance to play for a quality team. :banghead:

I don't think a lot of people following the sport today are aware of that history.
This concept that a player had to win championships during their career to be considered great is a bunch of nonsense. Some of the greatest players in NFL history (and NBA and MLB history) never even sniffed the playoffs or a championship because their teams were so bad year in and year out.

Dallas freaking dominated the Saints for most of the game tonight. I couldn't believe it (until the 4th quarter when reality set in and the D nearly let the game slip away.) Also, Nick Folk must go. Today. And I suspect he will.

Oh, and my high school won the Texas 5A football title today. For all you people in Texas, we televise High School football playoffs . . . in HD . . . biatches.

(and the announcers are better than the Seahawks announcers.)

Dallas freaking dominated the Saints for most of the game tonight. I couldn't believe it (until the 4th quarter when reality set in and the D nearly let the game slip away.) Also, Nick Folk must go. Today. And I suspect he will.

Oh, and my high school won the Texas 5A football title today. For all you people in Texas, we televise High School football playoffs . . . in HD . . . biatches.

(and the announcers are better than the Seahawks announcers.)

They do that in FL too Harry. THey also have 2 games of the week on in HD.

Dallas D looked very good tonight.

I cant believe that was Dallas. They should have checked under those uniforms to see who was actually in them. Thats the best prepared Ive ever seen a Wade Phillips/ Jason Garret team. They came to play. The D looked great and even when it was trying to give the game away came up with a huge play. When they show that it wasnt a fluke and come to play against the Redskins I'll start to believe.

What school did you go to Harry? My HS NEVER is any good in football. Since they started letting kids go to other schools all our good players would go to the traditional powerhouses in the area.

Back