Iron Shafts - Your preference

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
One of our members was asking about iron shafts, so i thought we should start a thread. What do you play and why do you like it?

I very much like the Nippon shafts. I like the light weight they provide with still giving the feel of steel. They have a tremendous feel that works for my game. When amollerud and I tested them I loved them, but for his game the ball flight was a little too high.

I very much like the KBS Tour shafts found in the R9 TPs. Great feel, very good penetrating, but still high ball flight and an all around great shaft.

I still like the TT S300 shafts. They are in quite a few irons we have tested and they fit my game quite well.

I play True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100's and have done so for over twenty years.

As a player, I have never had a problem with getting the ball airborne or getting solid distance from my clubs and because of my open-stanced style, hitting the ball high has never been an issue either. The X's allow me to keep the ball from going too high and they're stiff enough to keep the clubhead from flopping around (as was the case with S-300's) so that I have a tremendous amount of control over direction, which in an iron is the most important thing.

I like a heavy club overall, especially when it comes to irons, and with a D-5 swingweight, the X's offer a very solid and hefty feel. I even use them in my wedges, although I DO trim those shafts to an "8-iron" tip to soften them just a bit more.

I've been a True Temper fan all my life and even though there may be more exotic or more technologically advanced shafts out there, the TT's are, for my money, the best iron shafts ever made.

-JP

I play something akin to about a 5.2 on the Rifle scale.
With that said, I dont think I play enough that the type of steel shaft is the highest variable on my list....

I DO want to try and get into a higher swing weight though....

Currently playing the standard Ping G2's with AWT R"S at D0

I love my Nippon's. I've never owned any Rifle shafts, and not gone through the fitting process for them, but the ones that I've demo'd I've liked really well.

I never really got on board with the TT DG shafts, they never felt all that attractive to me.

*I had forgotten (just remembered) that my wedges have Rifle Spinner shafts in them, and I like them very well.

Last edited:
I concur. Nippon makes excellent golf shafts. I also like the Rifle shafts very much as well.

I don't have a lot of experience with different iron shafts, but with what I have hit here is what I've liked:

Nippon NS Pro 1180HG - My Nickent Arc Wedges came with these and I love the feel of the shaft - much more so than the shafts in my 3DX RC irons.

Project X Flighted - Hit these in the Bridgestone J38 and really liked the feel of the shaft, and the "different" look of the smooth steel shaft vs. visible steppings.

I've probably hit many others, but those are the ones that I can remember swinging and knew what was in the club. I've been curious about trying an iron with graphite shafts, but not sure if it would feel right or not.

My old Lynxs Parallax irons are stamped what looks like Tru Temper USA, but thats all I can read. A tag show's Lightweight steel and Stiff Lynxlite. Beyond that I don't know much about the shafts.

I don't know anything yet about my new Burner shafts, other than they are Regular flex.

I'd love to know more about shafts and what options are available, especially for these Burners.

I have Project X Flighted 6.5 in my X20 tours. In my iron set before those I had S300s. I thought I may have to go to a different shaft from my flighted shafts, but after hitting the KBS stiff shaft in my R9, I really like my flighted shafts more and more. Those KBS stiffs in the R9 feel like a wet noodle.

PX

PX

Personally I really dig PX shafts. I've had TT DG S300's in many old sets I've had but once I switched to PX I never really looked back.

What I really like about the PX shafts for my swing is that it seems to always produce the identical launch time and time again on full swings, I just love that consistency. Last year I felt a bit adventerous and purchased some S57's with KBS Tour's in them however I felt that the ballflight wasn't as consistent when compared to PX shafts, and I didn't feel the same smoothness with the shaft during my swing.

After getting a proper custom fitting I learned that for my swing characteristics, specifically how I load the shaft, PX is the best fit for me. Unfortunetly I paid a lot of money for this fitting to find out what I already knew.

Shafts

Shafts

Nippon shafts in my irons. Graphite Design YS6 in my woods. Enough said.
Won two close ups today........ :eek:) Money :eek:)

Aldila VS Proto shafts in my AP1's, I don't care for the feel of steel shafts.

I have Callaway's Constant Weight Rifle shafts in my X-14 PS irons. I believe they're about a 5.5 on the Rifle scale. I like the look of stepless steel shafts and they work well with my swing. I had TT DGS300s in my old Tommy Armour 845s. Those were great shafts.

PX 5.0 in my AP-2's. I like them just fine, but like others I doubt that I could tell much difference if I changed them to DG R flex. :confused2:

I love nippons...hit the 950s too high as well...went up in weight and got some 1150 tours that are outstanding...

Best shafts that I've hit are the project x...had them in 6,0 and they were super long and straight...I lost distance going to the nippons definetly...

They are also pretty harsh (pjt X) and am pretty sure that they are responsible for the tendonitis that I developed in both elbows shortly after installing them...for that reason I reshafted...

DG is still the standard as far as I'm concerned...if that's all that was available I'd be fine with that...

I`ve always used Dyn Gold S300.Good combination of feel,distance control and ballflight.Not too keen on the butt stiff feel of PX 6.0,good ballflight though.Rifle 6.0 were nice,much smoother than PX plus good flight and control.Nippon 1050 in stiff felt nice a little smoother than similar weighted Dyn Gold Superlight S300.For me KBS TOUR in stiff fell somewhere between DG S300 and PX 6.0,a quality alternative but not much different. Overall for me DGS300 and Rifle 6.0 offer the best feel and control combo for my swing profile.

Current shafts for me is the Nippon Super peening Blue.Their heaviest shaft of the moment,129 grams. I have always played DG's shafts.My Favorite DG shaft is the DG tour Dubbed X7's.

I've never cared for any of the Rifle's or PX'S shafts for their counter balance feel.

True Temper SL S300 with sensicore.They have given me the desired ball flight,distance and feel.Also like the old zz-lite PING shafts.Those two have outperformed everything else in my hands and that has been more than a few different shafts.As far as fairway woods Aldila NV and Accuflex Assasin II's are what has given me the best ball flight,distance and feel.This is just my personal preference and not stated to judge these better than others.Just what seems to work best for me.As far as drivers NV again but the Titleist version of the Voodoo seems pretty sweet to me also.

DG S-300 for me. Always liked the feel and performance. As I got "older" (relative term) I felt the height of my 4 and 5 iron has dropped. Put in a set HL S300 and the jury is out on these.

KBS Tours would be my next choice. Had a couple sets of Rifle/PX didn't like them.

Thanks for all of the great info on this thread.

Current shafts for me is the Nippon Super peening Blue.Their heaviest shaft of the moment,129 grams. I have always played DG's shafts.My Favorite DG shaft is the DG tour Dubbed X7's.

I've never cared for any of the Rifle's or PX'S shafts for their counter balance feel.

Heard really good things about those...

...on the other hand, for the project x lovers, there's the super peening orange with the counterbalance...

I'd like to get my hands on a set of either to try out...

Oh yeah...

One other thing...

I've put in prosoft inserts into both sets of irons (nippon 1150 and s300)...a foam insert similar to sensicore, these can be bought aftermarket and inserted when the grip is off the club (the s300s I actually dug out a hole in the butt of the irons since I'd just regripped)...anyway, it made the clubs feel more solid, dampened the vibration but the feel in the clubs remain...really solid feel and my elbows don't suffer like they did from impact vibes...had a friend hit a couple of balls at the range with them and his comment was "wow...what did you do to these...they feel awesome!"

My sentiments exactly...best part is that each insert cost a whole .34 cents each...

Heard really good things about those...

...on the other hand, for the project x lovers, there's the super peening orange with the counterbalance...

I'd like to get my hands on a set of either to try out...

Yes, the orange does feel more PX,Rifle like.

I do have a 6 iron shaft in orange and 1 blue soft stepped for a 4 iron for those who want to try.. Only X flex

Yes, the orange does feel more PX,Rifle like.

I do have a 6 iron shaft in orange and 1 blue soft stepped for a 4 iron for those who want to try.. Only X flex

I'm ready but you're a long ways and a handful of greedy custom officials away from me...:angry:

Back