The Official 2009 NFL Thread

Woah, what happened to the Steelers last night!??!? Ben must still be injured...

I think the Chargers could easily come out flat against Dallas. They may not but the way it sets up for them this is somewhat of a trap game for them.

What makes it a trap game?

Let's hope they don't get all rested up before a week from Sunday.

Kevin

Great minds do think alike. I was thinking the very same thing. However, if we can get past Chicago, it will leave us in good position come tie-breaker time. We automatically get it versus Dallas, and look good if Atlanta manages to squeeze in. However, the picture gets murky with the Eagles or Giants involved. Fortunately, they do play each other Sunday.

I think the Chargers could easily come out flat against Dallas. They may not but the way it sets up for them this is somewhat of a trap game for them.

Im wondering the same thing as JB. Why is this a trap game for the Chargers? Checked theyre schedule and they are playing the Bengals next week. So you think they are looking ahead to that game? I dont think too many people come to the Jerry Dome and look ahead. I wish more did though!

Woah, what happened to the Steelers last night!??!? Ben must still be injured...

For one he holds the ball too long and takes too many sacks. Second I just dont think the Steelers are that good. Lots of holes.

Not sure if anyone else is watching the Packers v Bears game, but there was a ruling of an incomplete pass in the end zone that I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the ruling. It was challenged and up held, but I still disagree.

Greg Jennings made the catch, had two feet down with control, as his third step hit the ground the ball was stripped, during a tackle, and went out the back of the end zone. If this happened outside of the end zone, I would have to think it would have been ruled a fumble. And when a running back dives into the end zone and lose control of the ball, but broke the plane, it is ruled a TD. So I don't understand how this is ruled an incomplete pass, and not a TD after control with two feet down was established. Brian Billick is one of the announcers, and he thought it should have been ruled a TD.

The Chiefs are looking like, the Chiefs. Again.

Can someone explain to me why there are different penalties for encroachment, offsides, and unabated to the QB?

Not sure if anyone else is watching the Packers v Bears game, but there was a ruling of an incomplete pass in the end zone that I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the ruling. It was challenged and up held, but I still disagree.

Greg Jennings made the catch, had two feet down with control, as his third step hit the ground the ball was stripped, during a tackle, and went out the back of the end zone. If this happened outside of the end zone, I would have to think it would have been ruled a fumble. And when a running back dives into the end zone and lose control of the ball, but broke the plane, it is ruled a TD. So I don't understand how this is ruled an incomplete pass, and not a TD after control with two feet down was established. Brian Billick is one of the announcers, and he thought it should have been ruled a TD.

They changed the rule in that you had to have control and make that additional step to show control. I am watching that game and I actually did not think he had control at the same time as having both feet in.

Can someone explain to me why there are different penalties for encroachment, offsides, and unabated to the QB?

Encroachment is called when a defensive player comes across the line and makes contact with an offensive player before ball is snapped.

Offsides is breaking the line before the ball is snapped.

Encroachment is called when a defensive player comes across the line and makes contact with an offensive player before ball is snapped.

Offsides is breaking the line before the ball is snapped.

No, I know what each is. I just don't understand why there are 3 categories for what are really just minor variations on offsides. I mean, there are several different ways to commit defensive pass interference, but they don't have different penalties for each variation. It's just pass interference.

No, I know what each is. I just don't understand why there are 3 categories for what are really just minor variations on offsides. I mean, there are several different ways to commit defensive pass interference, but they don't have different penalties for each variation. It's just pass interference.

The reason they make the variation is because one of the two causes a play to be blown dead and the other does not and is essentially a free play.

The reason they make the variation is because one of the two causes a play to be blown dead and the other does not and is essentially a free play.

Hmmm, well then, there's another good question: Why?

They all occur before the play (officially) starts, so why not blow them all dead and assess the penalty?

Hmmm, well then, there's another good question: Why?

They all occur before the play (officially) starts, so why not blow them all dead and assess the penalty?

THe reason why as I understand it is safety. Offsides offers an advantage as does lining up in the neutral zone, where is encroachment if they let the play play out, could result in someone getting killed because of the hit.

THe reason why as I understand it is safety. Offsides offers an advantage as does lining up in the neutral zone, where is encroachment if they let the play play out, could result in someone getting killed because of the hit.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I completely buy the reasoning behind it, but that's a good enough explanation to satiate my curiosity.

Thanks.

Felix Jones keeps ripping off 10-12 yard runs. How he isnt the feature back by now is beyond me. Barber just looks slow. Everytime they hand him the ball the defense is there before he is.

I am not a Cowboys fan, but if you read back through this thread, I have been saying that for 2 months now. he is the best back when healthy on their team and is once again leading the NFL (last time I checked) in yards per carry.

Oh I know JB. I remember you saying it many times. Im just sitting here watching the game and its just so obvious. Id like to see a lot more of Jones and even Choice. Barber needs to sit until they need to run out the clock in a blowout.

Was that pathetic or what? It almost looked like the Steelers threw in the towel last night. The entire Steelers O looked liked they were completely unprepared for this game.

Whaddya mean, almost?

To me it seemed as if they stepped off the bus, saw how cold it was and said, "Screw this, we wanna go back to the hotel!"

I'm sure they were prepared for the game but they simply didn't care.

They have "issues".

Besides the leaky secondary and the Keystone Kops Special Teams and the injuries, I think there are some locker room issues that are not being publicized just now. That whole thing with Hines throwing Ben under the bus last week was wrong on so many levels. I don't care how many times he explains himself, he should never have done that.

But the good news at least is that it isn't a "talent" issue.

Disharmony and infighting happens with every team and when coupled with losing, that makes things seem worse than they really are. I mean, if they were losing like Tampa, THEN I'd be worried because Tampa just plain sucks. The Steelers are still basically the same team they were ten months ago, so it's really more a question of just working through whatever's going on right now.

For the 25 winning seasons and six Super Bowls they've achieved since I became a fan back in '72, I'll spot them a stinker ever now and then.

It is what it is.

-JP

The Giants found out tonight why the Packers never put Aaron Rouse in coverage if they could help it.

Kevin

The Giants found out tonight why the Packers never put Aaron Rouse in coverage if they could help it.

Kevin

LOLOL...great point. Yesterday was the perfect outcome for the Pack. If the Eagles can win that division, and the Giants and Cowboys are our wildcard opposition, we are sitting pretty. We match up very well on the tiebreakers. However, we do want that 5 seed so we could go to Philly (the way it looks now) instead of Arizona.

LOLOL...great point. Yesterday was the perfect outcome for the Pack. If the Eagles can win that division, and the Giants and Cowboys are our wildcard opposition, we are sitting pretty. We match up very well on the tiebreakers. However, we do want that 5 seed so we could go to Philly (the way it looks now) instead of Arizona.

Surely you don't think that it makes a particle of difference where the Packers go in the first round? If they win, eventually they will have to go to either Minnesota or New Orleans, and then they're toast. They have already lost twice to Minnesota, and I'm pretty sure that the Saints are playing better than the Vikings.

I'm looking at the same sort of scenario for the Broncos... no matter if they finish at the top of the wild card race. Eventually they will have to face a quality team and they've shown that they they just don't quite stack up. They gave Indy a scare yesterday, kept it closer than I thought they would. Might even have taken it if they had showed up for the first quarter, but that's the problem. They have had trouble putting together 4 quarters since ever since getting hammered in game 7. I'm just happy that they are in the race for anything. With the off season controversies, I thought they'd be lucky to win 3 games.

And speaking of controversy, how about Brandon Marshall? NFL record 21 receptions. The whole world knew the ball was going to him, but they couldn't stop it. Some teams might actually have been able to win with that sort of a performance from their star receiver. :banghead:

Last edited:

He has to maintain possession through the contact and onto the ground regardless of where the catch is attempted, they ruled it incomplete so no TD.

Surely you don't think that it makes a particle of difference where the Packers go in the first round? If they win, eventually they will have to go to either Minnesota or New Orleans, and then they're toast. They have already lost twice to Minnesota, and I'm pretty sure that the Saints are playing better than the Vikings.

First they get there, then they play the games. You never know.

Kevin

I'm looking at the same sort of scenario for the Broncos... no matter if they finish at the top of the wild card race. Eventually they will have to face a quality team and they've shown that they they just don't quite stack up.

Yeah, in both conferences that second round gets rugged.

I can see things getting ugly real fast if Peyton and the Saints, who have been barely winning lately, just lay one on the Cowboys. Another former coach who Jerry let get away taking pride in a Cowboys beat down! Been reading how the media in Dallas are just all over Phillips and theyre not considered all that bad either. I think Phillips is done.

Back