Courses That Don't Have Winter Rates

Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
I live in Oxford, MS. The local public course does not reduce its rates during the winter. The course is barely worth its $45 weekend rate during the summer, and is sure not worth it on a cold wet day during the winter.

Does anyone else think courses should reduce their fees on cold and/or rainy days?

It could be worse. Our rates go way up in the winter here in FL. Durring the summer it is rain season and hot, so we get everything relatively cheap. But winter months courses can get quite pricey.

They won't do it just because it's cold or rainy. They might get more people out on colder than normal days though during the regular golf season. They do have winter rates, at least around here. One course that I know of charges a dollar per degree during the winter rate season, up to their regular winter rate of course. I wonder if they would pay you to play if it's below zero!

you'll have to excuse Diane, I think she's multi-tasking.

chumphries, hold cold is "cold" for you in Oxford?

Um...cold here starts in the mid-40s and drops to about the upper 20s when the winter is coldest.

Um...cold here starts in the mid-40s and drops to about the upper 20s when the winter is coldest.

Then yes, I am surprised they don't have winter rates.

Rainy, not so much. Rain is unpredictable.

you'll have to excuse Diane, I think she's multi-tasking.

Nah - the rain part made me laugh. I forgot new guy was new to golf.

Around here - we only get reduced rates in the Winter when they go to temporary greens/tees. If the full course is open - we pay full rates.

Yeah...I was really only aggrevated by the lack of reduce winter rates. Our local course likes to keep prices up in order to keep college students away. I personally think this is silly since the course is actually the Ole Miss run course.

I am still not sure why it is funny or a new golfer kind of question. My old course gave us reduced rates when it was drizzling because it was cart path only.

I am still not sure why it is funny or a new golfer kind of question. My old course gave us reduced rates when it was drizzling because it was cart path only.

Really?!?!?!

I've never seen that before!

Absolutely. They gave us the discount if we wanted it, but they did not offer a rain check if it got worse if you took the discount.

Absolutely. They gave us the discount if we wanted it, but they did not offer a rain check if it got worse if you took the discount.

Yeah, they don't do rain checks up here either. At least none that I've ever seen.

Yeah, they don't do rain checks up here either. At least none that I've ever seen.

We only get them if they close the course - usually for lightning. I have one I never used - the course is 90 minutes away and I never got back. Maybe I can convince them to let me use it next year.

My course now does do rain checks. If you start playing and half way through it starts to come down, they will give you one.

Most courses around here drop their rates after October 1. That's usually the end of golf season here in Ohio. There is one course though that is still charging their usual rates for the winter. The course was still in great condition in October when I played it but it also had not got that cold here yet. Now it's way too cold to play. Today it was in the 30's and rainy.

They do rain checks here. It's kind of on the honor system (they ask how many you got in).

We have a couple of courses around here that switch to twilight rates when its raining.

We have a couple of courses around here that switch to twilight rates when its raining.

Three or four times a year then? hehehe

Three or four times a year then? hehehe

Yep, although it is raining right now. I dont understand why this water is hitting my face. Its like a cold and wet feeling.

Should they? Sure, why not. Will they? Not likely. At the end of the day, its a business and they are in it to make money. Unless its going to cause a considerable increase in business, it doesnt make sense for them to lower their rates.

We get reduced rates in the summer when its excrutiatingly hot!! :D

Unforuntely, no discounts when its raining/cold...some of the courses around here don't even open when its raining!

Our muni isn't supposed to give rain checks. However, if the attendant knows you well and you're with an adorable little girl, you might get lucky.

Our muni isn't supposed to give rain checks. However, if the attendant knows you well and you're with an adorable little girl, you might get lucky.

How often have you "gotten lucky" with the attendant Claire?

How often have you "gotten lucky" with the attendant Claire?

Her name is Peg and she's in her late '70s. She likes me because I listen to her stories about her grandkids. So I get lucky quite a bit.

Back