The Official Tiger Woods Thread

That's pretty cool Static, thanks. There for a while it looked like the utility meter on the back of my house.

"Tiger has been handling the media and publicity since he was 2. I taught him. I was the public information officer for the Army at Fort Hamilton in New York. And I told Tiger, "Always tell the truth and just answer the question asked." He’s as at ease with the media as he is over a two-foot putt."
-EARL WOODS

I haven't read much of what's been posted in here, but I assume it's basically the same as has been posted on this subject everywhere else. Some people saying that Tiger has let everyone down and should be vilified and others saying they don't really care what he gets up to.

You may safely place me in the don't care bucket. I was and still am a big Tiger fan. I have no problem admitting that. I bought into the golfer that is Tiger Woods. I never did care about the family thing. It's none of my business. Correspondingly it is none of my business that he happens not to have been the glowing example of humanity that some people painted him to be. To the extent that I bought anything with his name on it, I did so because I liked what I was buying, not because he was a loving husband and father.

And I have to be honest about this one. Suggesting that Tiger has let people down because he's a role model for our kids is a cop out. Children's role models are their parents. To the extent that the parents might use the actions of someone else to teach their kids about something, just because that person turns out to have been fibbing the whole time, doesn't change the original message. That is not Tiger's responsibility. Simple as that.

Bottom line is Tiger owes his family an apology. A big one. One which I suspect won't be accepted, but such is the bed he has made for himself. He does not owe me an apology and he doesn't owe anyone else on this forum an apology either.

Very well put Ty. If there were more people that truly felt this way the world would be a better place.

Some pretty strong language from some of Tiger's colleagues:

From Life & Style

For the time being, Tiger Woods' major sponsors -- including Nike and Tag Heuer -- haven't dropped him. But things could change in the wake of a messy, public divorce. In fact, many of Tiger's colleagues in the golf world have already made up their minds about the situation -- and wasted no time badmouthing their former friend. Jesper Parnevik, the Swedish golfer who introduced Elin, then his kids' nanny, to Tiger, has said he regrets doing so. "We probably thought he was a better guy than he is," Parnevik said.

Ben Crane, a PGA player, has even harsher words. "This is no surprise to anyone who knows Tiger," Crane tells Life & Style. "He's a phony and a fake and he can't retain that squeaky-clean endorsement deal any longer." Crane also believes Elin may have known about Tiger's other women. "She's no fool," Crane says, adding that perhaps Elin "turned a blind eye because of the money and the kids and the lifestyle he provides."

PGA golfer Charles Warren agrees that it may have been more than love that attracted Elin to Tiger but that she should definitely leave him in light of what's happened. "She was very young when Jesper introduced them," Warren tells Life & Style. "She had stars in her eyes and maybe dollar signs too. But no, she should not stay with him. What kind of message would that send to her sister and mother and all the women out there? That your husband can be a bastard but as long as he makes the deal worthwhile, you'll stay?"

For more on Tiger, pick up this week's issue of Life & Style, on newsstands now.

Im not going to disagree or agree with any of the assesments made, but if you ever want to know about Ben Crane, ask a company that has worked with him.

Honestly...I could care less about all of this. Its his life...let him do whatever he wants with it. None of this should have any effect on golf overall. Too many people are consumed with celebrities personal lives on a daily basis. I find it all pathetic. They all should concentrate more on their own lives instead though everyone seems to want to pretend they are perfect and without their own skeletons in the closet.

And until Tiger comes out with a formal statement and a press conference addressing all of these growing by the day accusations it is all nothing more than tabloid gossip. Not that I keep up with the by the minute changes in all the drama...but as far as I know nothing has been confirmed. Its all rumors triggered by random people looking to cash in on their 5 minutes of fame and make a quick payday.

For the people taking his wife's side...how do you know what went on behind closed doors? To say she should leave him and take him for everything she can is ridiculous. How many times does this happen every single day with "normal" couples? So every single failed marriage should just give up with no attempt at reconciliation? no wonder the divorce rate is so high.

And all the crap about him letting down people because he is a role model is total BS. Like previously said...a kids parents should be their role models. Not someone they see a few hours a week on tv and in the magazines. but maybne thats a big part of the problem with todays society. kids wish to grow up to be rich and famous instead of honest and with morals...

It appears someone is in trouble

PGA pros deny making inflammatory quotes about Tiger - Devil Ball Golf - Golf Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Devil Ball Golf Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:28 pm EST

PGA pros deny making inflammatory quotes about Tiger
By Jay Busbee

On Thursday afternoon, the magazine Life & Style quoted PGA Tour pros Ben Crane (pictured at right) and Charles Warren as making quotes critical of Tiger Woods. According to the magazine, Crane called Woods a "phony and a fake" and Warren indicated that Elin Woods, Tiger's wife, "had stars in her eyes, and maybe dollar signs too," and further indicated that Elin should leave Tiger.

Provocative stuff, PGA players criticizing the Tour's greatest draw. There's just one problem: it now appears that it didn't happen, at least not the way Life & Style said it did.

Crane has strongly denied making the comments to Life & Style, saying that it would have been impossible for him to do so.

"Ben was very surprised and shocked to see these comments," Crane's agent, Tommy Limbaugh, said in an interview with Yahoo! Sports. "He never talked to anyone at Life & Style. He's done no interviews since the Children's Miracle Network at Disney Nov. 15. Ben wishes only the best for Tiger and Elin."

Warren's manager, Thomas Parker, echoed Crane's sentiments. "He's never spoken to this magazine," Parker said. "There's no story here."

"We sent an experienced freelance reporter to a golf tournament attended by several PGA pros," the magazine said in a statement. "Our reporter spoke with two golfers who presented themselves as Ben Crane and Charles Warren. We are taking these claims very seriously and investigating further." Yahoo! Sports has made inquiries to Life & Style magazine, but calls and emails to two individuals at the magazine have not as yet been returned.

The article has been pulled from Life & Style's main page, though at the moment it is still visible via direct link.

Limbaugh told the AP a magazine official indicated that the interview was conducted at the PGA Tour's Q School last week at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach, Fla. However, Crane ended this season ranked 51st on the money list, and thus would have had no need to qualify for the PGA Tour through Q School. Warren was, however, listed in the field at the tournament.

Clearly, more coming.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/10505210/Nicklaus-wants-to-respect-Woods'-privacy

Nicklaus wants to respect Woods' privacy

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) - Jack Nicklaus said the fallout over Tiger Woods' car crash and allegations of extramarital affairs is "none of my business."

"Our public is pretty forgiving at times," Nicklaus said Thursday. "Time usually heals all wounds. I think the hardest thing is obviously his family. That's a private matter for him and his family."

Nicklaus won 18 major championships, the most in golf history. Woods is second with 14.

Woods has remained out of the public eye since the crash Thanksgiving weekend and the scandal that quickly followed. He has acknowledged "transgressions" on his Web site.

"He's a great athlete," Nicklaus said. "He'll figure it out."

Nicklaus' first public comments about Woods' situation came after an event honoring The Benjamin School's golf team, recent winners of a Florida state championship. Son Gary Nicklaus played on a state title team at the school 26 years ago.

Golfers say they weren't interviewed about Woods - Tours News - Golf.com

Golfers say they weren't interviewed about Woods

By DOUG FERGUSON
AP Golf Writer
Published: December 10, 2009

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Two golfers quoted by a weekly magazine as making critical comments about Tiger Woods and his marriage say they never spoke to the magazine.

Life & Style magazine says it is investigating their claims.

Ben Crane is quoted as saying Woods is a "phony and a fake." Crane tells The Associated Press he was never at PGA Tour qualifying school last week, where the interview was to have taken place, and he has not spoken about Woods' situation.

Charles Warren, whom the magazine quoted as saying Woods' wife should leave him, says he never spoke to the publication.

Life & Style says a freelance reporter spoke to two players who identified themselves as Crane and Warren.

"The Sun" isn't really the most trustworthy source. I'm a bit surprised that the Orlando Sentinel used it as its primary foundation for the story.

Well, he can certainly afford to quit if he wants to. However I don't think he will. If it's true his wife would agree to such a thing, there's still too many other associates of his, and programs, that depend on him, that may not allow him to quit. If anything, he might take next year off, would be my guess. The other thing is I can't imagine his wife totally forgiving him. The damage is done regardless.
Do you think Tiger would actually quit?

I read this off of oobgolf.com.

Here's the full story:

Tiger Woods to quit golf? -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Yah, I've realized that just by looking at their homepage. Looks like another TMZ-ish site...

It looks like the Sun took down the article the sentinel was pointing to...

A longer article about the Crane/Warren (non)interviews:
Golf: Golfers Deny Comments: Golf Digest Magazine

Golfers Deny Comments
Tour players Ben Crane and Charles Warren have vehemently denied making incendiary comments about Tiger Woods and wife Elin

December 11, 2009

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Two golfers quoted by a weekly magazine as making disparaging remarks about Tiger Woods and his marriage said Thursday night they never spoke to the publication.

In a story that Life & Style posted on its website, Ben Crane is quoted as saying Woods is a "phony and a fake" and that Woods' wife knew about allegations of extramarital affairs. It also quotes Charles Warren as saying Woods' wife "had stars in her eyes and maybe dollar signs too" and should leave him.

The magazine said in a statement it was investigating.

"This is unbelievable," Ben Crane told The Associated Press from his Dallas-area home. "I never said a word about anything. They print this and put my name next to it."

Warren said through his agent that he has not given an interview of any kind in two months.

"I have not spoken to Life & Style magazine, so there is no story here," Warren said in a statement.

Crane's agent, Tommy Limbaugh of 4UManagement, said a magazine official told him the interview took place at the PGA Tour Qualifying tournament last week at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Crane finished 51st on the PGA Tour money list this year and was not at Q-school. Warren, who finished 147th on the money list, withdrew from Q-school before the final round. He was too far back to earn his card.

"We sent an experienced freelance reporter to a golf tournament attended by several PGA pros," the magazine said in a statement. "Our reporter spoke with two golfers who presented themselves as Ben Crane and Charles Warren. We are taking these claims very seriously and investigating further."

Asked if the magazine took photos of the golfers it interviewed, a spokeswoman declined further comment. Life & Style published the quotes Wednesday afternoon, and several Web sites posted them Thursday.

Crane said he first learned about the quotes Thursday morning when his agent called.

"At that point, I was like, 'OK, that's the farthest thing from the truth,'" Crane said. "I didn't realize I should be proactively calling you and (other journalists) until all of a sudden the tour called and said they wanted to run it (on television)."

Well, I guess The Sun wasn't such a bad source after all.

WTF? Suddenly tabloids are the ones breaking the real stories???

Wouldn't shock me to see him retire & never play again.

Agreed. I heard at work from our sportwriter today that Elin's told Tiger that if he really wants to focus on fixing these "transgressions" then he needs to give up golf (except for the major tournaments), she says she can't trust him playing a busier schedule.

Agreed. I heard at work from our sportwriter today that Elin's told Tiger that if he really wants to focus on fixing these "transgressions" then he needs to give up golf (except for the major tournaments), she says she can't trust him playing a busier schedule.

How on Earth will they ever survive without him going to work to bring home the bacon???? Can he draw unemployment?

*intended to drip with sarcasm*

"The Sun" isn't really the most trustworthy source. I'm a bit surprised that the Orlando Sentinel used it as its primary foundation for the story.

And more than a few were claiming the Enquirer was full of it & basically lying as well.

Back