Best indoor putting setup

yahtzee

Novice
Reaction score
I finished off my 3rd floor a year ago for my office/mancave and the only thing missing from it is my ability to practice putting. The carpet is frieze so it isn't ideal for putting. Any suggestions for some type of setup that would allow me to practice putting (the ability to store quickly would be an added feature).

I have seen a setup at Golfdom in Mclean, VA that comes in a small, medium and large section with elevation and 1-3 holes on it. Can't recall the name of it though....any suggestions?

Harry endorses something called the Boomerang. I've only played with mine a time or two, but I convinced esox to buy one.

You pretty much have to buy it from them, and it's most cost effective if you can get someone else to go in with you.

Harry endorses something called the Boomerang. I've only played with mine a time or two, but I convinced esox to buy one.

You pretty much have to buy it from them, and it's most cost effective if you can get someone else to go in with you.

That Boomerang looks like fun. Harry, Esox or Claire - do you think it has really improved your putting?

That Boomerang looks like fun. Harry, Esox or Claire - do you think it has really improved your putting?

Yes. Without a doubt. It's HARD though.

I leave mine set up in the living room and wander over whenever it occurs to me and putt until I get a ball to stay, followed by a ball to knock it out.

Yes. Without a doubt. It's HARD though.

I leave mine set up in the living room and wander over whenever it occurs to me and putt until I get a ball to stay, followed by a ball to knock it out.

I can see it would be hard to get the first ball to stay in the target, but it looks to me that it's very easy to knock out. The site says that if you're "competing", that there's a penalty for having two balls in the target. I would think that doing so is even harder than just having one ball up there, and doing so would earn the player more points. :confused2:

I thought so too bonk. Especially since you are supposed to try to knock the one out, there should be a risk/reward for trying to leave two balls in. Of course, you can always revise the rules, like people do with every other game out there.

It's actually pretty easy to get 2 balls to stay in the hole. Something about hitting too hard (or offline) makes them both stay. Or if you make the hole too deep (it's adjustable) so it's easy to get the first ball to stay, then it's really easy for both balls to stay in.

Getting the first one in is definitely harder. But if you lose focus and don't concentrate on the 2nd ball, you'll screw up.

I just ordered one. Has to be better than my current setup which consists of a pink plastic cup on my living room floor. The best thing about my plastic cup is that it sounds EXACTLY like a ball going into the cup on a golf course. Love that sound even if I don't get to hear it often enough.

-Steven

I have been using a Starpro 12' x 6' putting green in my garage for about 6 months and I love it. They come in several different sizes, and are thick enough to roll true (and fast) and really easy to roll up when not wanted. You can check it out here:

Golfsmith: The World's Largest Golf Superstore - Shop Golf Clubs, Balls, GPS, Apparel, Shoes, Bags Training Aids and More!

The "stars" on the flags really do help to keep a well struck putt in the shallow cup, saving you from having outrageous slopes or from having to bore holes in your floor to recess a cup.

I also have the Boomerang, not really sure it has done a damn thing though. Cute toy but for myself that's it.

I just putt to targets on my living room carpet. I've tried different aids, but like this best.

I just putt to targets on my living room carpet. I've tried different aids, but like this best.

And it's free, the vast majority of putting aids are nothing more than a way for someone else to get your money.

Back