Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox Sports is saying NY to replace a hole most likely coming from Matsui. They are also saying that just about every other FA is going to NY as well. They said the payroll for next years team will be laughable and approach 100 mill more than any team.

2009 list from USA Today
New York Yankees $201,449,189
New York Mets $149,373,987

I am not sure anybody could make any kind of argument in the world that dollars spent does not have any relevance on wins. Sure there are the oddball things here and there, but overall the numbers of wins per dollar spent does not lie.

BJ, Unless the Yanks are conducting a stealth campaign, I think FSNY is clueless. If Damon is not signed, you may see Holliday or Bey in play, but I doubt it. We will probably let Matsui go simply to free up some DH space for Posada. They are not under the same pressure they were last year to win it all. A trade with Detroit for Granderson is more likely.

I think the Yankees will be a lot more conservative with the money. The New York State and NYC economy is not good, the luxury boxes are not selling, and season ticket prices have already dropped.

Last edited:
The Mets will be losing money off their payroll. I think it could happen, but i think they were generalizing and making a funny comment that this is MLB and it is what it is.

I am not sure anybody could make any kind of argument in the world that dollars spent does not have any relevance on wins. Sure there are the oddball things here and there, but overall the numbers of wins per dollar spent does not lie.

Like I said, the fluke is the Yankees winning it. I can see changing it if three years goes by and there is no stopping them.
The laughable part of that list is that only two of the top 5 made the playoffs.

Like I said, the fluke is the Yankees winning it. I can see changing it if three years goes by and there is no stopping them.
The laughable part of that list is that only two of the top 5 made the playoffs.

The final 4 teams in MLB this year.

1. Yankees
2. Phillies
3. Dodgers
4. Angels

Not really any low income teams either TGM.

The final 4 teams in MLB this year.

1. Yankees
2. Phillies
3. Dodgers
4. Angels

Not really any low income teams either TGM.

Not at all, but you cant really call it a pattern either. Look at 2007 and 2008s final four.

Not at all, but you cant really call it a pattern either. Look at 2007 and 2008s final four.

Im trying to find the article that I read last week that showed win per dollar spent and it is staggering. Something along the lines of for every 4.5 million you spend over the league average you get 1.5 more wins out of it.

We dont have to agree, but to have a sport without a level playing field makes it not really a sport anymore in my views. And the views of most of the watching public. Every other major sport has one and their attendance and ratings have gone up. Only big market teams can say that in MLB.

It looks like Tim Lincecum is going to win the CY young again. Well know for sure in a few minutes.

It looks like Tim Lincecum is going to win the CY young again. Well know for sure in a few minutes.

Can't argue with the selection at all. One of the few times that you could make a strong case for or against all three of the top candidates. Any of them would be deserving of the award.

Can't argue with the selection at all. One of the few times that you could make a strong case for or against all three of the top candidates. Any of them would be deserving of the award.

Definite, the kid has electric stuff.

I got a little bit of a chuckle out of this one, when will people learn.
Does Cleveland have a big rival, if so this will be plastered all over their sites.
Grady Sizemore Pictures: Slugger Cries Foul On Sexy Shots "Stolen" from GF Brittany Binger's Phone

CLEVELAND (CBS/AP) More than a dozen steamy photos of all-star center fielder Grady Sizemore have made their way to Web sites across the Internet, but the Cleveland Indians star complains the shots were "stolen" from his girlfriend's e-mail and says that he is taking legal action.

Sizemore said that the nearly-nude pictures, including one where he is completely naked except for a tea cup covering his privates, were only meant for his girlfriend Playboy playmate Brittany Binger.

"These pictures were stolen illegally from my girlfriend's e-mail," Sizemore told The Cleveland Plain Dealer this weekend.

"It's now a legal matter that is under investigation. I can't say anything more."

Indians general manager, Mark Shapiro, said that he has not seen the pictures, but will "look into it," accodring to the paper.

The photos were taken with a cell-phone camera and show the major-leaguer alone, in various states of undress, in front of a bathroom mirror.

In some the shots he is fully clothed, and in others, he's wearing little to no clothing.

A Major League Baseball investigator contacted a number of the websites posting images this weekend and asked that they be taken down.

One of the sites still featured the shots Monday morning, but also posted the note from the official.

The message said the pictures were stolen from a personal computer and directed the site to preserve any related records in anticipation of a criminal complaint.

Grady Sizemore Pictures: Slugger Cries Foul On Sexy Shots "Stolen" from GF Brittany Binger's Phone - Crimesider - CBS News

A tea cup?

Not sure I would be photographing myself if that was the case.

Even if I didnt need it, I would use one of those huge coffee mugs.

Soup tureen. Just so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings.

Those are the things legends are made of Harry.

I%20Am%20Legend%20Pack.JPG

Spoiler
not.

How do you think Tom Jones, the singer, became as popular as he is? I had a high school english teacher tell us the whole story.

Spoiler
tom%2Bjones%2Beeeewwwe.jpg

How do you think Tom Jones, the singer, became as popular as he is? I had a high school english teacher tell us the whole story.

Spoiler
tom%2Bjones%2Beeeewwwe.jpg

Oddly enough, Milton Berle had the same reputation.

milton-berle.jpg

According to Rosenthal and im sure others by now, the Braves signed Billy Wagner for 7 million with a option for 2011 that kicks in after 50 games.

Im assuming they are over Gonzalez. I bet it has to do with him switching agents to Boras.

Whitey Herzog voted into MLB Hall of Fame

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10488116/Manager-Herzog,-ump-Harvey-voted-into-Hall

Excerpts:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Whitey Herzog spent a good, long time stewing about a blown call in the 1985 World Series. So in a strange way, perhaps this fits: He's going into the Hall of Fame, standing next to an umpire. Herzog and longtime crew chief Doug Harvey got the call Monday, elected to the Hall by the Veterans Committee.

Herzog was a single vote short in his previous try, and might've made it sooner with another crown on his resume. But he was forever linked to Don Denkinger after the ump's infamous miss in Game 6 so long ago cost the St. Louis Cardinals a chance to clinch.

"No, I'm not bitter at Denkinger," Herzog said at Busch Stadium. "He's a good guy, he knows he made a mistake, and he's a human being. It happened at an inopportune time but I do think they ought to have instant replay in the playoffs and World Series."

As for Harvey, Herzog joshed: "I don't know why he should get in. Doug kicked me out of more games than any other umpire."

Herzog was a fixture in major league dugouts for two decades. He won the 1982 World Series and three NL pennants with the Cardinals and three division titles with Kansas City. He became the 19th manager to make the hall.

"I think he was one of the guys who started managers looking at doing more creative things," said Hall of Fame shortstop Ozzie Smith, one of Herzog's star players. "You'd see him take a relief pitcher and put him in right field."

Smith was a late addition to the 16-member panel that considered managers and umpires. Candidates needed 12 votes (75 percent) to make it, and Herzog got 14 in voting Sunday at the baseball winter meetings. Results were announced Monday, and the 78-year-old Herzog was told he was in. Dorrel Norman Elvert Herzog drew his nickname because of his light blonde hair while playing minor league ball. He wasn't much of a major league outfielder, but made his mark with the Runnin' Redbirds.

"He's the best baseball man I've ever been around," said Washington manager Jim Riggleman, a former member of Herzog's staff. "If you worked under Whitey, you had a chance to manage in the major leagues."

Herzog started managing in 1973 with Texas and compiled a .532 career winning percentage.

"He gave his entire life to the game," said Hall of Fame manager Tom Lasorda, another Veterans panel member. "When he didn't make it last year, I was very, very down. This year, everyone understood he belonged there."

Herzog and Harvey came close in 2007. They will be enshrined at the induction ceremonies on July 25.

10488214_36_2.jpg

Whitey Herzog is best known for
his tenure in St. Louis, where he led
the Cards to the 1982 World Series
title. (Staff / Getty Images)

What do you guys think about this three way deal with the Tigers, Yankees and D Backs.
Yankees get Granderson
D Backs get Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy
Tigers get Max Scherzer, Phil Coke and Austin Jackson
I heard its all pending physicals. Do the Yankees bring back Damon now or let him walk?

Also Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN. Thats a pretty big blow.
http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2009/12/gammons-ends-hall-of-fame-run-with-espn/

That is true. But the rumors are swirling. Not sure it would or could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back