Diane

Reaction score
Since our discussion about whether rangers told women to speed up play more frequently than they told men, I've been taking an informal poll among golfers I know to see if that was the case. So far, I've learned that the women do seem to get more comments about pace of play, but men are given equally ridiculous direction. My favorite was one friend who said he and his golf partner were playing with at least two empty holes both in front of and behind them and the ranger reprimanded them for each playing two balls. These guys are both single digit handicappers. So aside from the usual "pick up the pace" comments - what are the strangest things that the ranger has said to you?

I don't deal with many rangers as most of the courses around here don't use any. But on the ones which do I haven't had any issues because my pace of play is pretty damn fast.

On a course that was backed up (as usual), the Marshall made the group in front of us mark their balls on a short par 3 and clear the green (before they had putted out) so we could tee off. Then, we ran up to the green and marked so the group in front of us could putt. And then had us clear the green so the group behind us could tee of. The only thing it accomplished was moving all three groups to the next tee box together, where we waited even longer because the whole course was backed up and there were still people in the fairway.

WTF? How in the world did he think this was going to help?

Playing two ball is a "no-no" at most courses, regardless of pace of play. I guess the golf course management folks think you are beating them out of "extra play" on the course. I have been caught several times by marshals playing two ball when no one was even near, or around me. I tell them thanks, and let them catch me again...lol Pretty much all my two ball play does not include tee shots. I will be walking along, and decide to drop a second ball to play from a different situation. The course allows "mulligans" so why not some two ball. I never hold anyone up, or crowd any other players, so I figure it is a no harm, no foul type of scenario.

Last edited:
One time, on a very hot, sunny day after a drenching rain, it was cart path only. There was a group in front of me and after my drive I pulled about 10' off the path under some tree shade in the rough. Actually it was more bare hardpan and it was dry. A ranger drove by and ordered me back to the cartpath. I thought it was unnecessary under the circumstances, but I didn't give him any lip and did it.

I've also been scolded for playing more than 1 ball or practicing my pitching and chipping around the greens "There's a practice green back by the clubhouse :angry: ". Of course I only do it when there is nobody behind me. I'll say "ok, sorry" pick up my balls and move on.... and continue doing it anyway. Some of those guys take their jobs very seriously.

I had a situation late this summer where I called my course to ask if a big group of us could play together. The manager, (also the marshal), told me yeah, that's fine but tee off by 11 because another big bunch are going out after noon. We get there and she let's me know we need to stay out of their way because they were a corporate group.

We had a blast, but had to wait a lot on these guy's and let several set's of them through. At 10 tee box were ready to hit, but two of the guy's in the other group are in our fairway playing #9, so we wait. They get done, we tee off and wait for the guy's on #10 green, lol.

All of a sudden here comes marshal Dillon mad as heck at us because we were holding up the group behind us, (the idiots that were in our airway before). We couldn't get a word in edge wise she was so pee'd off at us. I'm about the easiest going person in the world, but at that moment I could have chewed nails!

Had a marshall last weekend tell us during our member tournament that we were holding up the play behind us for the paying players. One of the guys lost it and we thought he was going to kill this guy. Not something you tell a member who is paying $400+ a month to play that he is not a paying player.

Another one was about 2 months ago during a SNGA sanctioned tourney a marshall comes up to us after our tee shots and tells us we are behind. We all told this guy to look ahead, the group ahead of us is still on the green, yet he still issued us a warning and was going to put us on the clock. Apparently this clown didn't know any of the rules regarding pace of play, etc and we made sure he was informed of them after we completed the hole which was the 9th hole and the Director was sitting right there. The worst part is it got one of the guys in my group so riled up that he shanked his 2nd shot and ended up costing him a shot on that hole.

I've never had to deal with a Ranger playing with my normal group. I am a pretty fast player. However, this weekend I played with 2 slow players who after hitting a shot have to explain to you why they hit the shot they just did. It doesn't bother me but they were deadly slow. Then the next day I got behind the two guys I played with before. I had to call out a ranger to get them moving it was so frustrating. I play like crap when I have to wait 20 minutes to hit my next shot.

We all told this guy to look ahead, the group ahead of us is still on the green,

I've had that happen multiple times. For the life of me, I'll never understand why marshals don't drive the course in reverse so they can see where the gaps (i.e., players causing the slow play) are.

I readily admit to being some what slow, but not snail like. I take a practice swing, line up and swing away. This weekend I played with my mother, it's been quite a while, and talk about fast. Never a practice swing, she walks up and swings away. Down the middle every stinking time. My buddy and I were amazed at her speed of play. 79 years old and out running us, lol.

I readily admit to being some what slow, but not snail like. I take a practice swing, line up and swing away. This weekend I played with my mother, it's been quite a while, and talk about fast. Never a practice swing, she walks up and swings away. Down the middle every stinking time. My buddy and I were amazed at her speed of play. 79 years old and out running us, lol.

That's how my mother plays too. She's never in the rough or sand either.

What fun is that? :D

I sort of asked her the same thing: "How much fun can that be never hitting out of trouble", lol. She just learned to hit fast and not think about it. It goes straight.

That's how my mother plays too. She's never in the rough or sand either.

I suppose then, that she doesn't have to deal with burrs either? :D

At least not in the fairways and low rough. You gotta get into the weeds, Diane!

I've had that happen multiple times. For the life of me, I'll never understand why marshals don't drive the course in reverse so they can see where the gaps (i.e., players causing the slow play) are.

At the public course where my league plays, he does.

At least not in the fairways and low rough. You gotta get into the weeds, Diane!

Smallie - I've had Lyme once already and I'm allergic to bees. I'm also highly allergic to poison ivy, oak and sumac and I've gotten hives twice while playing golf. Mosquitos love me too. The golf course is already a minefield - I'm staying on the grass.

Only in Utah

Only in Utah

I was playing on a busy weekend, backed up course, and while waiting on the tee the refreshment cart came by and I was in the process of ordering a beer from the young lady working it, and the marshall comes up an starts bitching that I'm holding up play. The green had just cleared and no one in my group had even hit yet. I pointed this out, and he said, "well you shouldn't be drinking beer anyway."

I pointed out, very politely, that I'm a grown man, the golf course serves beer, and that he could get stuffed. He still followed our group for the rest of the round, scowling and looking for an excuse.

The really silly part, to me, was that this guy was easily 300 lbs, straining that cart to the max, and he wants to make lifestyle commentary on me. I walk all my golf (almost) and I'm as fit an healthy as a 49 year-old arthritic can be.

Silly rabbit.

Let me tell you diane a straight line works best when you are 46 too.

Don't I know it, but it's not something I experience on every shot.

"I'm as fit an healthy as a 49 year-old arthritic can be"

Good stuff bik33! I'd be with you if no for hemroids!!

thedue;168549Good stuff bik33! I'd be with you if no for hemroids!![/QUOTE said:
Best reason ever to not be sitting in golf cart too often :act-up:

"I'm as fit an healthy as a 49 year-old arthritic can be"

Good stuff bik33! I'd be with you if no for hemroids!!

Best reason ever to not sit in a golf cart too much :act-up:

Back