Walking and GPS devices?

soxngolf

back to the season
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting my dad a GPS or Laser Rangefinder device for Christmas. I have been reading through all of the reviews (thanks JB!) and read the thread debating between the two types of devices and have decided on the GPS unit. Specifically, I am going to go with the Bushnell Yardage Pro XGC after the fantastic review.

My only concern is that my dad walks the course 90% of the time. How do you normally carry the GPS device? Is it about the size of a blackberry so you can just put it in your pocket or do you clip it to your belt and if so, does it bother you during your swing?

Thanks for the help!!!

Harry loves to be helpful (especially if he has the chance to help you!), so he'll chime in here, but the one round we played together, he had his device in a pocket in his bag, IIRC. He used a pushcart, so it was easily accessible.

I am thinking about getting my dad a GPS or Laser Rangefinder device for Christmas. I have been reading through all of the reviews (thanks JB!) and read the thread debating between the two types of devices and have decided on the GPS unit. Specifically, I am going to go with the Bushnell Yardage Pro XGC after the fantastic review.

My only concern is that my dad walks the course 90% of the time. How do you normally carry the GPS device? Is it about the size of a blackberry so you can just put it in your pocket or do you clip it to your belt and if so, does it bother you during your swing?

Thanks for the help!!!

I clip mine to my stand bag. Works great.

You're a good daughter soxy.

I have carried mine in a pocket and clipped to m belt and neither way affected my swing. I am sure you father will enjoy his as well and figure out which way works best for him. By the way....great Christmas gift.

Soxy - I see a lot of people with them clipped to their belt. Some of the women I play with have push carts that have a little compartment for them or they put them in a pocket in their bag.

If I'm walking I attach it to the push cart. I have a belt clip but haven't used it since I got the cart attachment (works for riding carts too).

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I clip it to my stand bag or on my cart bag if I'm using a pushcart.

-JP

Soxy,
He is going to love it, as I consider this one to be arguably the best GPS device on the market right now. It is about the size of a Blackberry Pearl and twice as thick. Or close to twice as thick. It is no problem in a pocket if you are somebody that can carry things in a pocket while you play. The unit weighs very little.

I don't know what accessories are available for the Bushnell, but my for GolfLogix I bought a clip with a strap and a carabiner. The carabiner clips to the D ring on the bag, and the other end clips to a lug on the back of the GPS. Just press the release on the clip and the GPS comes off to walk away from the bag (especially handy when you're in a riding cart). Since my GolfLogix GPS-8 is based on a Garmin platform, most of the accessories for the very popular Garmin eTrex hiking GPS work for mine too. That can make finding compatible accessories quite easy. :D

Thanks for the help!!!

I was fortunate enough to win THP's OnPar GPS contest and i keep it in the "valuables" pocket in my golf bag. Works a treat!

I have the Upro which is small enough that I just keep it in my front pocket. Im thinking about getting a mount for my pushcart though.

Thanks for all the info. He will at times play with his Blackberry in his pocket so I think he may chose that, but I am going to look into finding a clip for a pushcart that a few of you have mentioned because I think he would like that too. I will let you know how he likes it!

The pushcart clip would make a fun stocking stuffer. Let him puzzle over it until he opens the real present.

Here's a couple manufacturers that have golf gps mounts:

Ram mounts
Arkon

You could get one that clamps onto the pushcart handle. You might have to figure out which components you'll need for that though.

Last edited:
We do stockings last as well.

It's a holdover from when we opened presents Christmas Eve. Mom made us "at least do stockings on Christmas!"

We do stockings last as well.

Sacrilege, just sacrilege.

Okay, way off topic for just a moment: When The Kid was just shy of two, I bought a six pack of matchbox cars and wrapped them individually for his stocking. I should have stopped there--he was totally taken with them and didn't want to stop playing. Of course, there was an entire treeful of other presents for him to unwrap.

Spoiler
I still can't believe my baby boy has gotten so big!

Okay--back to GPS units.

But first, an edit: opening gifts on Christmas Eve is totally verboten.

Stockings first at our house. In fact, when the kids were little we told them that whenever they got up on Christmas morning that they could do their stockings but that presents had to wait until Mom and Dad were up. Of course, that just meant that they did their stockings and THEN came to wake us up. Bought us an extra 10-15 minutes.

One year when my son was about 5, he stayed up until midnight and announced that it was Christmas morning and that he could open presents. I informed him that the rule was that it wasn't Christmas morning until the sun was up. He came in to wake me up at 0500. I asked him about the rule from the night before and his response was, "I AM the son and I AM up!"

GPS and Walking - off the course

GPS and Walking - off the course

My wife and I are thinking about carrying our Garmin GPS on our walks around this retirement village we're temporarily staying at. All the streets look the same, as do all the houses. We've gotten "lost" a few times. How embarassing! LOL

Carrying a gps in your pocket will disable it's ability to function as it needs a clear view of the satellite. Several different companies make cheap clamps to fit on pushcarts. I picked up one for my clicgear that attaches where the umbrella holder goes, cost was under $15 & it works perfectly.

Carrying a gps in your pocket will disable it's ability to function as it needs a clear view of the satellite. Several different companies make cheap clamps to fit on pushcarts. I picked up one for my clicgear that attaches where the umbrella holder goes, cost was under $15 & it works perfectly.

That's not true, unless golf GPS units are less-capable than others. The GPS capability in my car's navigation system and my phone works just fine without clear access to the satellite(s).

That's not true, unless golf GPS units are less-capable than others. The GPS capability in my car's navigation system and my phone works just fine without clear access to the satellite(s).

My car unit also works better for some reason. I have the golflogix & if you carry it your bag or a pocket it will not work.

Back